HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 6:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
And I think everyone should take the Québec-Lévis Ferry by night, as a pedestrian, to go grab a craft beer at Le Corsaire, on Lévis' Paquet wharf : spectacular views on the old city, boat ride and great beer.
Nice tip.

I might try that the next time I'm in QC. How much does the ferry cost for a pedestrian?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 6:44 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Nice tip.

I might try that the next time I'm in QC. How much does the ferry cost for a pedestrian?
It's 3,60$ by adult passenger.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 6:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
It's 3,60$ by adult passenger.
Return or one way?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 6:56 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Return or one way?
Sorry, it's one way

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Thanks. Can anyone from New Brunswick fill me in for the other 2 cities then? (Ps: I’m gonna check out Bay of Fundy too.)
You mean Sit John, not St. John's?

There is the reversing waterfalls.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 9:24 PM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
You mean Sit John, not St. John's?

There is the reversing waterfalls.
Yea St John, NB

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Yea St John, NB
Which is always spelt out: Saint John

(And BTW.....for anyone that's ever been in the Halifax Airport you have to be very careful and listen to the departure announcements. You could have a couple of flights boarding simultaneously to St. John's on either Air Canada, WestJet or Porter.....and at an adjacent gate....a flight to Saint John!)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 10:48 AM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post

(And BTW.....for anyone that's ever been in the Halifax Airport you have to be very careful and listen to the departure announcements. You could have a couple of flights boarding simultaneously to St. John's on either Air Canada, WestJet or Porter.....and at an adjacent gate....a flight to Saint John!)
Thanks. Today I learned.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Can anyone from New Brunswick fill me in for the other 2 cities then? (Ps: I’m gonna check out Bay of Fundy too.)
For New Brunswick, assuming you are driving, I would advise taking the old highway route as much as you can. It hugs the river more and is more scenic. Look for the Green Fiddlehead signs on the highway and it will guide you on where to get on and off the TCH. (Some parts of the old highway are no longer connected so the routing will put you on the new highway).

The northern part of the route isn't as good since neither the old nor new highway hugged the river particularly close. Still, you might want to do a quick detour into Grand Falls to check out the Gorge, and at Hartland to check out the Covered Bridge (and to get some Covered Bridge chips at the factory just off the highway )

Now, for the true scenic route, you will want to get off the highway at Pokiok/Nackawic and take the 102 in to Fredericton. You'll have a much nicer view of the river along the way, and can see Mactaquac dam, and go by Kings Landing (for a stop if you want; not much to see from the highway). The detour might add an extra 15 minutes or so to your drive, and while it is 2 lane highway, it doesn't have much traffic so it is a very pleasant drive IMO.

Depending on your interests, Fredericton may not have all that much to see. Still, it can be worthwhile to head downtown and check out the Legislature and the Art Gallery, Officers Square, the Barracks, the other museums, etc..., just to see them. If you're into the suds, check out some of the local brewers too; we seem to have tonnes of them. (I don't drink myself so can't comment on what's good/bad).

If you're there on a Saturday, you can check the Boyce Farmer's market in the downtown. Or if you're there on the weekend, the North Side Farmer's market is also popular and has longer hours. (You can get Samosas at both locations, and at many other places around the city; they've become a local specialty of sorts).

If you're going to Saint John right after Fredericton, and have time and daylight, I would suggest staying on route 102 instead of taking Route 7. Route 7 is a lot faster, but it's all forest and CFB Gagetown training grounds. Route 102 hugs the river so there will be a lot more to see. That part of 102 isn't part of the old highway so the road isn't as good, but still decent enough for the most part. Going via 102 is likely an extra hour of driving give or take a bit. (about 40 minutes more according to GMaps).

If you really have time, I would cross the river at Fredericton and take the 105 down until you get to the Burton Bridge across the Saint John River. Cross there and keep going. If you don't cross at the Burton Bridge, you have to stay until you get to Jemseg and backtrack a bit (Link to GMap directions); but it does put you on the 102 south to Saint John by then. The 105 route has 2 or 3 famers markets along the way, and the produce is just starting to come into season.

I don't know much about Saint John so I can't suggest anything else.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 1:45 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:

Don't the announcements usually say "Saint John New Brunswick" or "St. John's Newfoundland", though. I seem to recall hearing that often in airports.
Qu'est-ce que le spasme de vivre?

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Don't the announcements usually say "Saint John New Brunswick" or "St. John's Newfoundland", though. I seem to recall hearing that often in airports.
The biggest problem around here seems to be wayward tourists headed for Sydney Australia ending up in Sydney NS (this has happened on at least several occasions).

The connecting flight out of Halifax being a turboprop is usually a dead giveaway that you made a mistake in your bookings.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:33 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
The biggest problem around here seems to be wayward tourists headed for Sydney Australia ending up in Sydney NS (this has happened on at least several occasions).

The connecting flight out of Halifax being a turboprop is usually a dead giveaway that you made a mistake in your bookings.

Yes, I've heard that too.

Friends of mine were once sitting on a plane bound for Port-au-Prince, Haiti, when their actual destination was a posh resort in Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe - which is an overseas département that is actually part of France.

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:00 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Yes, I've heard that too.

Friends of mine were once sitting on a plane bound for Port-au-Prince, Haiti, when their actual destination was a posh resort in Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe - which is an overseas département that is actually part of France.
When did they finally realize their mistake? Once they arrived in Haiti?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:01 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
When did they finally realize their mistake? Once they arrived in Haiti?
No they were able to get off the plane just before it departed!

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Yes...but some only hear St. John's or Saint John and don't even distinguish which province they are going to!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...scotia-rather/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ydney-1.975605

And it doesn’t help either when it’s Sydney NS vs Sydney NSW

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:30 PM

If you plan your route between Saint John, the Kingston Peninsula and Fredericton….you can criss-cross the Saint John River on several cable ferries and some larger ones.....all free.

https://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/P...erFerries.aspx

http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/ferry.html

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 7:16 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
In a similar vein Ontario International Airport changed its name to LA/Ontario International Airport to avoid confusion with the province of Ontario.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
For New Brunswick, assuming you are driving, I would advise taking the old highway route as much as you can. It hugs the river more and is more scenic. Look for the Green Fiddlehead signs on the highway and it will guide you on where to get on and off the TCH. (Some parts of the old highway are no longer connected so the routing will put you on the new highway).

The northern part of the route isn't as good since neither the old nor new highway hugged the river particularly close. Still, you might want to do a quick detour into Grand Falls to check out the Gorge, and at Hartland to check out the Covered Bridge (and to get some Covered Bridge chips at the factory just off the highway )

Now, for the true scenic route, you will want to get off the highway at Pokiok/Nackawic and take the 102 in to Fredericton. You'll have a much nicer view of the river along the way, and can see Mactaquac dam, and go by Kings Landing (for a stop if you want; not much to see from the highway). The detour might add an extra 15 minutes or so to your drive, and while it is 2 lane highway, it doesn't have much traffic so it is a very pleasant drive IMO.

Depending on your interests, Fredericton may not have all that much to see. Still, it can be worthwhile to head downtown and check out the Legislature and the Art Gallery, Officers Square, the Barracks, the other museums, etc..., just to see them. If you're into the suds, check out some of the local brewers too; we seem to have tonnes of them. (I don't drink myself so can't comment on what's good/bad).

If you're there on a Saturday, you can check the Boyce Farmer's market in the downtown. Or if you're there on the weekend, the North Side Farmer's market is also popular and has longer hours. (You can get Samosas at both locations, and at many other places around the city; they've become a local specialty of sorts).

If you're going to Saint John right after Fredericton, and have time and daylight, I would suggest staying on route 102 instead of taking Route 7. Route 7 is a lot faster, but it's all forest and CFB Gagetown training grounds. Route 102 hugs the river so there will be a lot more to see. That part of 102 isn't part of the old highway so the road isn't as good, but still decent enough for the most part. Going via 102 is likely an extra hour of driving give or take a bit. (about 40 minutes more according to GMaps).

If you really have time, I would cross the river at Fredericton and take the 105 down until you get to the Burton Bridge across the Saint John River. Cross there and keep going. If you don't cross at the Burton Bridge, you have to stay until you get to Jemseg and backtrack a bit (Link to GMap directions); but it does put you on the 102 south to Saint John by then. The 105 route has 2 or 3 famers markets along the way, and the produce is just starting to come into season.

I don't know much about Saint John so I can't suggest anything else.
I got lucky - the one and only time I’ve been to NB, the old TCH was still mostly there, with the exception of the section west of Moncton and of course the original Fredericton bypass. So my memory of NB is very much along the river.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 2:36 AM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

That seems really odd that people letting them on the plane don't notice their destination doesn't match the flight they're on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada