HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

9 DeKalb Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram
New York Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:27 AM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Beautiful.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:20 AM
Leftist Correctist

Now that's an erection!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:32 AM
Union & Fifth

Has an RCA Victor meets American Radiator and decides to take over the planet vibe!

And frankly I love that Juniors will forever be its promise ring to the Borough, wouldn't have it any other way, really.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:47 PM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloper View Post
...I love that Juniors will forever be its promise ring to the Borough...
If Juniors insists on staying put, they could at least get rid of the tacky billboard on top of their building.

A retro-themed sign (think lightbulbs spelling out 'Juniors') would perfectly accent that corner. Something tells me this is a pipe-dream, though.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:20 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Has an RCA Victor meets American Radiator and decides to take over the planet vibe!

And frankly I love that Juniors will forever be its promise ring to the Borough, wouldn't have it any other way, really.
Why? It's a crumby (sorry) building that even Junior's owner wanted to get rid of and relocate Juniors to the ground floor of the new tower and only decided the current Juniors was a "landmark" until after the deal fell through. As per Wiki:

Quote:
In February 2014 the third generation owner Alan Rosen put the building on the market for development as an apartment tower with the hope of striking a deal with a developer to allow Junior's to return as a ground floor tenant. Rosen received offers up to $45M, but that offer wouldn't accommodate Junior's on the ground floor. In September 2014 Rosen took the building off the market after deciding the existing building is Junior's identity.
Here's what I think is gonna happen. I think a number of years after 9 Dekalb is completed the Juniors owners and a real estate developer will team up to raze the current building and put up a 20-30 floor tower with a new showcase Juniors on the two floors of the base. This notion that the current building itself is Juniors identity is just silly.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:45 PM
Union & Fifth

Lol, I sure raised some cockles. No, I'm not in love with the building Junior's is in, per-se. But what I do like is that 9 DeKalb didn't gobble up the entire block, and then stick Junior's in a faux nostalgia sanitized tourist ready venue. I like that it's a little dirty, a little seedy, very Brooklyn. And I won't cry if it's replaced some day, but I doubt that will be for a very long time. As it stands it's a landmark for the black community downtown, and Jewish community to a certain extent, and these are disappearing rapidly in the gentrification. So what if 9 DeKalb didn't get the whole block? Imho it's more Brooklyn this way. I remember when this area was a warren of small, oddly shaped parcels and buildings, and I would hate to see that puzzle entirely erased.

My $.02

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:38 PM
Leftist Correctist

The root of my critique is my opinion that 9 DeKalb would have been an even more fantastic design had Juniors land been acquired. Right now the tower is pencil thin all the way to the base. The Juniors site would have created the opportunity to flare out the base with a midrise, say 15-25 floors, that tapered or wedding-caked into the highrise. It would have had a better street presence and in my opinion that would have made 9's design go from 10 to 11.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 11:01 PM
Union & Fifth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The root of my critique is my opinion that 9 DeKalb would have been an even more fantastic design had Juniors land been acquired. Right now the tower is pencil thin all the way to the base. The Juniors site would have created the opportunity to flare out the base with a midrise, say 15-25 floors, that tapered or wedding-caked into the highrise. It would have had a better street presence and in my opinion that would have made 9's design go from 10 to 11.
I won't argue that you don't have a valid point. But it's also possible that adding the Juniors parcel would've somehow been a detriment to the design, we'll never know. I've always found that having to creatively overcome obstacles elevates design, rather than just being handed a perfectly clean slate. And I wouldn't want to live in a society where eminent domain takes precedent over individual rights everywhere and always, not that that exactly applies here. I'm sure you understand my general points. Very excited to see this thing rise!!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Here's what I think is gonna happen. I think a number of years after 9 Dekalb is completed the Juniors owners and a real estate developer will team up to raze the current building and put up a 20-30 floor tower with a new showcase Juniors on the two floors of the base. This notion that the current building itself is Juniors identity is just silly.
They'll do something eventually.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I won't argue that you don't have a valid point. But it's also possible that adding the Juniors parcel would've somehow been a detriment to the design, we'll never know. I've always found that having to creatively overcome obstacles elevates design, rather than just being handed a perfectly clean slate. And I wouldn't want to live in a society where eminent domain takes precedent over individual rights everywhere and always, not that that exactly applies here. I'm sure you understand my general points. Very excited to see this thing rise!!!
totally agree. we can guess although we can't know what a juniors-less tower would look like --- unless maybe there is an early render or something?

also, as a non resident pedestrian you still have juniors rather than walking around a busy block made unfriendly.

what would really be funny is if juniors eventually sold and someone put up a needle-thin supertall there.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:17 PM
New Yorker for life

The Junior's is fine, it just needs to be built up to the level of the bank building to create some parity.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 1:15 AM

Credit: baronson

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 2:43 PM

Credit: Michael Young

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:28 PM

Foundation Work Making Steady Progress - New York Yimby

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:32 AM

9 Dekalb (340 Flatbush Avenue) Wikipedia

Nice background info on this project via Wikipedia. They list the completion date of 9 Dekalb as 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_DeKalb_Avenue

Last edited by peteybrooklyn1959; Feb 12, 2019 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Changed post

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction