HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 2:22 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Wait, Kalamazoo has a Trader Joe’s and Lansing doesn’t? Hahahaha
Yea. When Trader Joe's opened a year and half ago, it was a big deal. But then again, Lansing has a Whole Foods, and not even Grand Rapids can boast that. Our next closest Whole Foods is in South Bend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Also, we have a lot of Mod Pizzas out here and I really like them. Any toppings you want for the same price. Also, the ONLY pizza place I’ve found in Portland that offers green olives as a topping.
Absolutely. It's a good business plan and will surely succeed in any college town, like Kalamazoo. My wife gets the green olives (I can't stand them). We went for the soft opening which was under-publicized, and everything that day was entirely free. Then a few weeks later they did "Pay-What-You-Want" Saturday, and all the money went to charity. They carry a small but decent selection of alcoholic drinks too.

Crain's just posted an article (really a compilation of reports) about Kalamazoo's support of entrepreneurs...

Quote:
Crain's Michigan Business Special Report: Kalamazoo
January 13, 2018

Kalamazoo is making strides in its support for entrepreneurs. This year, Western Michigan University plans to break ground on a major expansion of its research park that will create a cluster of high-tech companies and potentially hundreds of jobs. A new network of angel investors affiliated with Michigan’s most established investor group is funding new growth. The result? Tech that will shape the future made right here in Michigan, from flexible sensors for sports helmets to machining innovations and connected home technologies...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 5:04 AM
somewhere in-between

Catalyst 12, from today. They are moving fast and it's quite a sea of concrete columns now. They are backfilling the area where the parking deck ramp will be poured. I think this building is going to seem massive, compared to the 3-4 story, 1880's-era stuff along Michigan Ave.

Also noticed that this former church along Portage Street in the Edison Neighborhood is slowly being fixed up. But I don't know what the plan is for the building use.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 3:45 PM
somewhere in-between

This is a prominent corner on the northside that is primed for redevelopment. I sorta wish it would turn into something other than a few tiny houses.

Quote:
Affordable tiny home neighborhood planned in Kalamazoo
Malachi Barrett | MLive
January 20, 2019

KALAMAZOO, MI -- A local social service organization is planning a tiny home neighborhood for people with criminal backgrounds or substance abuse issues. Construction will begin this spring on six 400-square-foot homes and a leasing office at the corner of North Street and Westnedge Avenue in the Northside neighborhood. HOPE Thru Navigation founder Gwendolyn Hooker said the project aims to stabilize vulnerable populations while addressing the city’s affordable housing shortfall. A capital campaign will kickoff in January to raise $350,000 for the project. The site includes a vacant lot and a 2,880-square-foot building that will be demolished before construction begins in the spring...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 6:57 PM
somewhere in-between

We are getting renderings now for the redevelopment of the site that once was home to the Klover Gold Creamery. Closed in 1997 having being in business for almost 80 years, the site is now being sold to Hollander Development Corp. for $65,000. The planned development is called simply, "The Creamery" and is intended to provide 48 1 and 2-BR units. 15 of those would be designed for 30% area median income, and the remaining would be for 70 to 120% area median income. Also included would be about 7,500 SF of ground floor commercial, to include a 1,500 SF business incubator space. Hollander Development Corp. itself reportedly plans to relocate five workers to a new office here.

This would be right near Washington Square, the center of revitalization efforts for the Edison Neighborhood. I think the design looks good, and appropriate to the area in scale, massing, and materials. I can't post photos right now for some reason (I blame the polar vortex), but you can see the renderings at the link below - EDIT - I was able to get the images to work now.

Quote:
Edison Neighborhood looks forward to The Creamery with its mix of residential and business spaces
Al Jones | Second Wave Media
January 31, 2019

Kids had to walk past the vacant and run down Klover Gold Creamery Co. buildings at Portage and Lake streets to get to the Washington Square Branch of the Kalamazoo Public Library. Kelly Clarke pictured them coming from the Boys & Girls Club at 915 Lake St. She didn’t like the idea of boys and girls having to make their way past potentially dangerous buildings. So she’s happy the Edison Neighborhood Association, the Local Initiatives Support Corporation and, her organization, the Kalamazoo County Land Bank, spearheaded their demolition in 2011. And she’s even happier that a developer’s plan to build a 48-unit apartment and commercial structure is moving along on the 1.3-acre parcel at the southeast corner of Portage and Lake streets...
Source: Second Wave Media | Courtesy Hollander Development Corp. / Byce & Associates

Last edited by deja vu; Jan 31, 2019 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:20 PM
somewhere in-between

A quick photo of the new Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, nearing completion. This is near the Sprinkle Road / I-94 junction. It's pretty simple, but not terrible, as far as these hotel designs go.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:34 PM

This garbage has been scarring Michigan's landscape for years. The amount of new hotel construction around freeway exits in the last two years especially, is shocking.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:54 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
This garbage has been scarring Michigan's landscape for years. The amount of new hotel construction around freeway exits in the last two years especially, is shocking.
I'll add that this is the back view, which is slightly more utilitarian than the front, but point taken.

Have you driven around the I-94 / US-127 interchange, near Jackson lately? That area is a good example of this phenomenon. It's crazy how many brands and new standalone hotels have popped up there in the past 2 years alone.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations