HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:27 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's specific to human remains so probably not for those other items. For mummies though, it would be relevant.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It's specific to human remains so probably not for those other items. For mummies though, it would be relevant.
The Greeks in particular are a little peeved over Lord Elgin helping himself to some of the ornamentation from the Parthenon...........

I am sympathetic to some degree over the concerns expressed by some countries over the loss of their national treasures, but in some ways these treasures belong to all of humankind, and will receive a much broader audience if on permanent display in places like the British Museum, the Louvre or the Smithsonian. I have been to all three of these world museums, and these treasures are handled with utmost respect and reverence. Sometimes, treasures like this if they had remained in their home countries (recently Syria and Iraq for example) would have been destroyed by zealots (ISIS) eager to erase history that didn't conform to their world view.

Better for them to be displayed in a safe space.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:04 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

The human remains would probably be better served buried in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:53 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Greeks in particular are a little peeved over Lord Elgin helping himself to some of the ornamentation from the Parthenon...........

I am sympathetic to some degree over the concerns expressed by some countries over the loss of their national treasures, but in some ways these treasures belong to all of humankind, and will receive a much broader audience if on permanent display in places like the British Museum, the Louvre or the Smithsonian. I have been to all three of these world museums, and these treasures are handled with utmost respect and reverence. Sometimes, treasures like this if they had remained in their home countries (recently Syria and Iraq for example) would have been destroyed by zealots (ISIS) eager to erase history that didn't conform to their world view.

Better for them to be displayed in a safe space.
While I tend to favour stuff being held by reputable organizations in the location where they originated, it's also true that much of the world's heritage was at great risk due to neglect long before ISIS.

If you learn about the history of the Parthenon in Athens (where the Elgin Marbles were) it was basically in ruins when the Lord allegedly "stole" them away. If he hadn't, they might be nowhere to be found today.

The treasures of Ancient Egypt were in ruins, buried in sand, or pillaged, or all three, when Napoleon and his soldiers arrived there several hundred years ago. Even the Sphinx only had a small part of its head sticking out from the sand at the time.

BTW I am not saying that Greece, Egypt or any other reasonably stable country should not be entrusted with this stuff today. Just reminding people of the history.
Qu'est-ce que le spasme de vivre?

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh no. Good update and a bad update...

Canadian Heritage Minister has confirmed, following discussions with our Premier (which had been ongoing for a while), the remains will be repatriated to Newfoundland.

But we're not intending to bury them in Central NL where they belong. They will recieve a "permanent resting place" at The Rooms. I guess we will have to wait and see what that means. But historically there was no indigenous presence where St. John's is.

EDIT: Further update - National Museums Scotland is explicitly NOT returning objects that belonged to the couple as they have no policy that would allow the return of anything except human remains.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 22, 2019 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Sad news about Gilles Duceppe's mom, who froze to death.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...rmia-1.4986538
The opposite of political correctness is not unvarnished truth-telling. It is political expression that is careless toward the beliefs and attitudes different than one’s own. In its more extreme fashion, it is incivility, indecency or vulgarity. These are the true alternatives to political correctness. l

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:48 PM

Wasn't a lot of what ISIS destroyed in Iraq replicas? I thought the museum said they only put out replicas and that the originals were stored safely elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's nearing the end for The Telegram. A letter to the editor:

I've seen worse than that. They even had coverage of some bridge washout in the Maritimes. Nothing necessarily wrong with that - but going to the Maritimes is an expensive weekend trip for us. You can't just pop over for a day. The stories are the same as our generic local news just from places we have minimal interaction with or knowledge of.

Editor's note makes it clear this is here to stay:

Quote:
Editor’s note: The Telegram is part of the SaltWire Network, and while local news will always be our main focus, we also want to keep our readers plugged in to what’s happening in the rest of Atlantic Canada, since we are part of that region and share many of the same challenges and values.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 1:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Good news, though... One of the province's finest writers and journalists is taking over The Independent, formerly a separatist paper but these days more of a clever revue.

Quote:
We are living in historic times. This much seems obvious if you are following America’s slow-motion implosion, or the post-imperial nervous breakdown called Brexit. Or the Gilets Jaunes roiling France, or the simmering trade and diplomatic wars with China, or the wildfires in California and the Arctic Circle, or, or, or…..

You get the point—the world is on fire. But that fire’s been burning since the world’s been turning, or at least since the Billy Joel song. One of the great charms of living on the eastern fringe of Canada is that we are safely insulated from much of the world’s wider madness. We just need to cope with our own collective cabin fever.

Canada has so far mostly avoided the degenerative diseases corroding other liberal democracies—Douglas “Buck-a-Beer” Ford notwithstanding—but it’s not clear how long our splendid isolation lasts. The federal Liberals have promised us this year’s election will be among the most “divisive” in the country’s history, and they’re every bit as loaded for bear as the increasingly unhinged Conservatives.

Federal politics is largely a spectator sport as far as Newfoundland and Labrador is involved, so the final battle between wokeness and toxicity will be settled far from our rocky shores. It should be a pretty good show, even if nobody involved seems headed for a happy ending. Thoughts and prayers especially to our man in Ottawa, Seamus O’Regan, who is out of the frying pan of Veteran’s Affairs and into the fire of Indigenous Services at the exact moment the whole ‘reconciliation’ experiment is being dashed against the rocks. But Newfoundlanders historically have an excellent record on the Indian question, so I’m sure the whole thing will be a breeze.

Anyway, that’s all for now. There is always more to say, but we’ll save that for the future. In the meantime, your editor continues to watch the skies as the sun rises red in the morning of the year. See you at the Indy’s christening real soon.

Oh. One more thing: we will never, ever treat “winning the lottery” as news. Consider it a personal promise.
http://theindependent.ca/2019/01/22/...-through-2019/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:36 PM
Pro Trivia Player

"The Indian question"... not a terminology you'd see used in an Ontario or Western paper, that's for sure!

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's a self-burn. He's using colonial/Nazi terminology to remind us we killed all the Beothuk.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:05 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
It's a self-burn. He's using colonial/Nazi terminology to remind us we killed all the Beothuk.
Got it.

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:30 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This FUCKING province lol

I actually have some from visiting St-Pierre and Miquelon, but does France even use the same ones as Norway?

You'll also need Euro coins to operate some of the amenities on board, like massage chairs.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 23, 2019 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
This FUCKING province lol

I actually have some from visiting St-Pierre and Miquelon, but does France even use the same ones as Norway?
According to this

https://www.contiki.com/six-two/simp...avel-adapters/

the answer is yes.

Those UK/ROI adapters are very familiar and with the switch on the side you need to activate to flip the power on. Most people live it in the on position.

All plugs in the UK are grounded..not so sure about the rest of Europe.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

From an Angus Reid poll:

If Canada had Eurovision, Atlantic Canada would be the Balkans. Good evening, Toronto - this is St. John's calling, with the result of the Newfoundlander and Labradorian vote. NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR GIVES ITS 12 POINTS TO... NOVA SCOTIA! 10 POINTS GO TO... PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND! And finally, EIGHT POINTS... it goes to... NEW BRUNSWICK! Here is the rest of the result of the Newfoundlander and Labradorian vote. Thank you, Brian Mulrooney, and we just want to say what a great show tonight from Toronto!

Of interest - Quebecers clearly feel a connection with New Brunswick. That's nice to see, a bit like Russia and Serbia or something.

And the Atlantic provinces all feel for their diaspora in Alberta.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:05 PM

British Columbians feel closest to . . . Saskatchewan? Maybe AB has gone down a few points?
They left out PEI.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
British Columbians feel closest to . . . Saskatchewan? Maybe AB has gone down a few points?
BCians feel closest to "None" Alberta is second. "None" is third for NL, behind Nova Scotia and Alberta.

Wow, the disparity between Quebec and Ontario's view of each other.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:10 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:

Of interest - Quebecers clearly feel a connection with New Brunswick. That's nice to see, a bit like Russia and Serbia or something.
And Ontario.

On the other side of the coin, not many provinces feel a connection to Quebec.

It's almost like unrequited love even with Ontario and New Bruswick for us.

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Not nice, it was an unfortunate accident they say, but then aren't there people claiming Beothuk heritage now?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
BCians feel closest to "None" Alberta is second. "None" is third for NL, behind Nova Scotia and Alberta.

Wow, the disparity between Quebec and Ontario's view of each other.
Maybe I was reading it in the wrong direction, it's still early here.
"None" feels about right if you live here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada