HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 30, 2006, 12:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^Probably do "more" than some taxpayer-funded circus would.
The opposite of political correctness is not unvarnished truth-telling. It is political expression that is careless toward the beliefs and attitudes different than one’s own. In its more extreme fashion, it is incivility, indecency or vulgarity. These are the true alternatives to political correctness. l

Old Posted Apr 30, 2006, 4:23 PM

Yeah like expand on-island sprawl. Building more parking lots and derive more people to get there by car from elsewhere. While doing a great job at contributing nothing to the arts and entertainment, and completely ignoring architectural integrity and urban renewal. Oh and shunning Canada's most famous cultural export away. Yeah great stuff. Can't wait.
Althegreat III, Torch Baron of the island of Montreal. Head of the Commonwealth of idiots, absolute ruler of the Shredberger foundation and devoted screw-up. If you can't stand the Baron, you can't stand the heat. Remember that.

Last edited by althegreat III; Apr 30, 2006 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 8:09 PM

I read in le JdeM yesterday that "The Rocket" hasn't been doing so well In the ROC. After a 4 million dollar campaign, it only brought in $676 000 since it came out. No big surprise there. If someone made a film about the Golden days of the Leafs, I wouldn't go see it.

Good news though, either 4 or 6 (I forget which) countries in northen Europe bought the rights and will be playing it soon!
Althegreat III, Torch Baron of the island of Montreal. Head of the Commonwealth of idiots, absolute ruler of the Shredberger foundation and devoted screw-up. If you can't stand the Baron, you can't stand the heat. Remember that.

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 10:18 PM

Yeah, it pretty much bombed in English Canada which was a shame because I saw it and it was a quality movie. I really don't know why it didn't work because it had a lavish media campaign and plenty of screens and it was a quality project. I dunno. There just wasn't that critical mass of buzz to see it I guess.

Old Posted May 27, 2006, 12:19 AM
BANNED

it even had more screens than the barbarian invasions in the ROC. two solitudes.

Old Posted May 27, 2006, 5:22 AM

I dunno, I thought it translated well. I think maybe just the fact that Quebec celebrity doesn't translate, and that Cdn films don't have homegrown stars that we see on a regular basis like in Quebec or America. Essentially it's a foreign film to English Canada, which is a shame. I wish that Quebec films were as heavily marketed and available in ROC than they are there. I think that would help not only the Quebec industry find new markets to sell its products but the whole cdn industry as well.

Old Posted May 27, 2006, 6:47 PM
菠蘿油

i don't think it's a foreign film to the ROC -- roy dupuis is widely known in english canada (after all, he's played in a number of english movies and starred in an english TV show) and half the dialogue in 'maurice richard' is in english.

malek is eager as usual to reduce this to a two solitudes thing, but you really have to remember that even english canadian movies have very little commercial success in english canada. most are indie films that play on a limited number of screens, which is fine, but the few blockbusters that do come along invariably bomb.

Old Posted May 27, 2006, 11:21 PM
BANNED

i repeated what was in the JdeM article althegreat was talking about.

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 12:57 AM

But it was a large success in Quebec so I do think the two solitudes thing is sort of an issue, despite it being an interesting hybrid of english and french, with a star that is moderately well known in all parts of Canada. I dunno, if it wasn't that, why did it bomb?

I believe the biggest hit in English Canada this year was Water, yet it only played on a few screens nationwide..

On a side note, Hank Williams First Nation, the low budget privately funded movie from northern Alberta, held a free screening of the film last night at the Princess ahead of the DVD release on tuesday. Despite it being released without an official distributer I believe it made over $1 mln in Western Canada..

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 10:35 PM

Just heard it right now on the CBC....Romeo Dallaire's Rwanda memoires 'Shaking Hands with the Devil' will be adapted into a feature film, will be shot in Kigali and will Star none other than the Rocket Himself: Roy Dupuis.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2006, 5:48 PM

Yeah, I read about that as well. That actually sounds kinda cool, and I hope it translates well in English Canada if its shot in French.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 4:39 AM
DRINK

....... What's that sound??? Chris Cuthbert, now Brian Williams...the first couple nails in CBC's coffin???

Quote:
Brian Williams joins CTV Inc.

Brian Williams

TSN.ca Staff

6/5/2006 4:46:51 PM

Toronto, ON - Veteran Canadian sportscaster Brian Williams will join CTV Inc. in December 2006, as a key member of CTV and TSN's broadcast teams.

Williams' appointment was revealed Monday at CTV's 2006 Fall Upfront presentation in Toronto.

Williams was introduced by Bell Globemedia President/Chief Executive Officer and CTV Inc. CEO Ivan Fecan together with CTV Inc. President Rick Brace.

It was announced that Williams will play a leading role in shaping and delivering Olympic broadcast coverage of the highly anticipated 2010 Winter Games from Vancouver-Whistler. It's CTV's first move in building its Olympic broadcast team.

Brace confirmed that Williams will join CTV Inc. through 2012.

Over the next six years he will be integrated into several sporting assignments for CTV, TSN and other platforms. CTV also named Williams the Prime-Time Host for CTV/TSN's Olympic coverage of the 2010 Games and the ensuing 2012 Summer Games from London.

It's familiar territory for Williams, considered the dean of Olympic sports broadcasting in Canada, a champion of amateur sports and a veteran of more than 30 years in the industry.

"Brian Williams has been the face of the Olympics for Canadians for decades and we're delighted that he will bring this legacy to CTV for 2010 and 2012," said Brace, who also commented on the timing of today's announcement: "CTV believes it's important to have sufficient time to associate Brian Williams with both the CTV and TSN brands as we build toward the most comprehensive Olympic coverage ever for 2010."

"For more than 30 years, I've enjoyed tremendously my role with the CBC," said Williams. "Now, I look forward to joining the CTV/TSN team and the opportunity to play a role in shaping coverage for Vancouver 2010."

In addition to being named CTV's Olympic prime time host, Williams will:

- Take an active role in developing and hosting "lead-up" programming in the build to 2010, and again for 2012.

- Be seen on a variety of platforms within the CTV Inc family of assets, including across CTV's entire conventional platform and on TSN where he will be available for several assignments. Fans will see him occasionally on SportsCentre and even on Canada AM.

- Host reports specifically targeting a West Coast audience, and in particular for broadcast on CTV's Vancouver-based station.

- Thirty years ago, Brian Williams reported on his first Olympics, the 1976 Summer Games from Montreal. He has covered virtually every Olympic Games since and every high profile professional and major amateur sporting event around the globe. Along the way, Williams' unique broadcast style has endeared him to millions of Canadians from coast-to-coast, winning numerous awards and praise from critics.

About Brian Williams

- Williams' upcoming role as prime time host for CTV/TSN's 2010 Olympic coverage will be his first as host of a Canadian-based Olympic Games for the Canadian rights-holder (CTV was rights-holder in 1988, Calgary).

- Williams has covered almost every Olympic Games since Montreal in 1976.

- He recently hosted coverage of the 2004 Summer games from Athens, and the 2002 Winter Games from Salt Lake City. In July 2003, Williams was in Prague when the IOC announced that Vancouver/Whistler had won the bid for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. He also fronted Vancouver 2010: Inside the Bid a behind-the-scenes documentary about the bid process.

- Williams has won numerous awards including six Gemini Awards and the Foster Hewitt Award twice.

- Williams began calling university basketball play-by-play in 1967, and started his professional career in radio with Toronto's CHUM. After a year at CFRB Radio in Toronto, he joined CBLT and remained with CBC until his move to CTV.

- Born in Winnipeg, Williams is a political science honors graduate of Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 5:00 AM

And then when CTV loses a pile of money on the broadcast, as they did in 88 and 92, the rights and Brian Williams, will revert back to the ceeb....

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 5:01 AM

Man CTV's trying too hard. That's why I hate them so much! Long live the CBC, with or without Adams. I never liked the cut of his gib anyways....

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 4:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
...but you really have to remember that even english canadian movies have very little commercial success in english canada. most are indie films that play on a limited number of screens, which is fine, but the few blockbusters that do come along invariably bomb.
Yeah, like the powerful drama of "Men with Brooms"
The opposite of political correctness is not unvarnished truth-telling. It is political expression that is careless toward the beliefs and attitudes different than one’s own. In its more extreme fashion, it is incivility, indecency or vulgarity. These are the true alternatives to political correctness. l

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 4:40 PM

$1 mln in english Canada is the equivalent of a success and the $5 mln dollar benchmark is a blockbuster for a cdn film. Men with Brooms made over 5 mln, as did Mambo Italiano. C.R.A.Z.Y. did that in French Canada and overall, but I don't know how well it did in english Canada itself.

The biggest high profile bombs I can think of are Foolproof, Ginger Snaps 2 and The Rocket, which I believe all were booked on over 100 screens yet failed to clear more than a few hundred k nationwide.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 6:24 PM

Speaking of Canadian movies, does anybody know the release date of the Trailer Park Boys movie?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 7:30 PM

Nope, but I heard somewhere towards late August/early September. I sure hope this movie is one of those breakout Cdn films, which is even rarer than a Canadian blockbuster. Water was one, Mambo Italiano actually made more in the U.S. than Canada, and it make over $5 mln here. Ginger Snaps (the original) was a major hit in Hong Kong, and Cube was France's top movie one week and it pulled in over $10 mln over there.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 5:05 AM

Here are a few questions I was wanting to ask everyone else. Do you think that the Canadian press is partisan or neutral, and if either can you point of specific examples of each?

Also, has anyone else watched the most trivial cdn reality show yet, Canada's Next Top Model? Talk about low rent production values, lol..

Old Posted Jun 14, 2006, 3:05 AM

Another media tidbit, Toronto Star's 8 month old celeb gossip rag, the Weekly Scoop, got the axe today...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada