HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 2:56 PM

You can actually see progress of the renos walking down Donald. Look through the windows. Same thing. Walls ripped apart, flooring is the same. Should be looking pretty sweet by the time October roles around.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:23 AM

Here's a bit of an update on the flooring in the concourses.

https://twitter.com/antex_western/st...17517868253185

It's Reazzo, which a poured, polished concrete made from 100% recycled materials. I think it's gonna look awesome with all the industrial-themed decor.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:38 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Here's a bit of an update on the flooring in the concourses.

https://twitter.com/antex_western/st...17517868253185

It's Reazzo, which a poured, polished concrete made from 100% recycled materials. I think it's gonna look awesome with all the industrial-themed decor.
Looks great. It's definitely going to be refreshing to see, once all the renovations are done.

I'm assuming that the signages will be changed as the season approaches, yes? True North doesn't seem to be in a rush to change the signages, especially since the old backdrop used in press conferences still has the old logo, as evident this past weekend on the Free Agent Frenzy on TSN, and of course, just driving by the arena.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 7:04 AM
BANNED

looks like the Jets have finally made the effort to solve their Goaltending woes. On top of that they went out and acquired a Left-handed Defenseman. I think the Jets will make the playoffs, but i wish we had replaced Maurice with Dale Hawerchuk as coach.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Looks great. It's definitely going to be refreshing to see, once all the renovations are done.

I'm assuming that the signages will be changed as the season approaches, yes? True North doesn't seem to be in a rush to change the signages, especially since the old backdrop used in press conferences still has the old logo, as evident this past weekend on the Free Agent Frenzy on TSN, and of course, just driving by the arena.
They mentioned in the press conference it'd take a few months to upgrade signage. Hopefully they fix up the lighting on the metal top of the building while they're up there.

The name is whatever, it's just a name - I just wished the new logo kept the roofline image. It's just a generic text-only logo. For some reason Rogers and Bell both decided they don't want any fun or distinctiveness in any of their named buildings.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 4:11 PM

Really excited to check out the rink this year. Get sneak peaks when walking through the skywalk or on Donald at street level. Those floors should like sweet.

Also really excited for the on ice product. All the fat has been trimmed. No excuses this year. Playoffs or bust.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 4:53 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
looks like the Jets have finally made the effort to solve their Goaltending woes. On top of that they went out and acquired a Left-handed Defenseman. I think the Jets will make the playoffs, but i wish we had replaced Maurice with Dale Hawerchuk as coach.
Well, Maurice is on notice one way or another. If our team has a crap record come December, he's gone.

With that said, there really shouldn't be any excuses anymore. The future that we have built upon is now here, and the time is now to produce.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 4:09 AM

Quote:
I hope Maurice will be gone before the end of the year.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 4:15 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Why would Hawerchuk give up a relaxed life in Muskoka for the Jets?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 4:19 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
I hope Maurice will be gone before the end of the year.
It's interesting seeing Maurice now being the new focus of negativity now that all the old ones were simultaneously eliminated (Stuart, Thorburn, Pavelec). There seemed to be a bit of panic among the "fan base" as there was briefly nothing left to hate. They kicked Chiarot's tires as a possibility but with the new defenceman he's more or less irrelevant now. So Maurice it is!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 4:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It's interesting seeing Maurice now being the new focus of negativity now that all the old ones were simultaneously eliminated (Stuart, Thorburn, Pavelec). There seemed to be a bit of panic among the "fan base" as there was briefly nothing left to hate. They kicked Chiarot's tires as a possibility but with the new defenceman he's more or less irrelevant now. So Maurice it is!
It's not like we all just started on Paul. He's been the target for over a year. He's just the last rusty nut we need to get rid of.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I thought from day 1 Maurice was a bad choice. How someone with as mediocre a record as him has coached this many games is beyond me. He in short order will surpass Bowman for second all time in regulation losses. He's at 569 which is 4 shy. He's over 600 wins shy of Bowman though.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:25 PM

Come on Andy. Maurice did it to himself and has been a target for a while now. Example, playing Thorburn over all the young talent is a complete shit show. Playing Thorburn actually caused Enstrom injury. The Pens called up Sesito because of Thorburn.

Anyways, Chevy did good and cleared out the fat. Now Maurice has no excuses, not even the schedule this year. He said its refreshing. No choice but to play the young guys.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:27 PM

What do you guys think of Wiecek's take in the Freep where he gives it to Chevy for continuing to play it safe (or doing nothing, if you want to be less charitable) while the Oilers and Leafs load up for a run at the cup?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...432977593.html

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:35 PM

I've given up on the Free Press. Cant stand their paywall so don't even bother.

Oilers have McDavid, still questionable on the hall trade. Leafs loaded up? Could've fooled me. Marleau is not loading up.

I think Chevy did fine. We need to sign Laine, Ehlers, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom (?), etc in the next two years. I don't want him to go sign Alzner to a 5 year, over paid contract. Hellebuyck needs time. I think signing Mason will be good for both of them. Our forward crop is just fine. Defence needs to stay healthy.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 3:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What do you guys think of Wiecek's take in the Freep where he gives it to Chevy for continuing to play it safe (or doing nothing, if you want to be less charitable) while the Oilers and Leafs load up for a run at the cup?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...432977593.html
Winnipeg already has a lethal top 6 forward group and solid D. We just need to shore up the goal tending, special teams and get an added top 4ish defencemen to help with injuries. We also got some decent addition by subtraction by losing Thorburn and Stuart.

Really, I would argue that the Jets are a more complete "team" than either the Oilers or Leafs. Unlike the Oilers and Leafs, we were decimated by injuries last year, and got sub par goaltending, especially short handed.

In short, in our off season, Chevy did more or less all he needed to. You can argue about the players he choose to improve the team, but otherwise - bring on the Leafs and the Oilers.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 3:31 PM

I admit I'm not much of armchair hockey GM kind of guy, but is Steve Mason really much of an upgrade? Same vintage as Pavelec with a nearly identical career save percentage... what exactly is Mason bringing to the table?

BTW I'm sure the rest of you guys know this, but my mind was blown to learn that Mason and Tyler Myers were Calder winners in successive seasons... if you had offered me a million dollars to guess the two Calder winners on the Jets roster, I would have never figured it was those two.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 3:39 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I admit I'm not much of armchair hockey GM kind of guy, but is Steve Mason really much of an upgrade? Same vintage as Pavelec with a nearly identical career save percentage... what exactly is Mason bringing to the table?

BTW I'm sure the rest of you guys know this, but my mind was blown to learn that Mason and Tyler Myers were Calder winners in successive seasons... if you had offered me a million dollars to guess the two Calder winners on the Jets roster, I would have never figured it was those two.
Mason had a bit of a down year last year, but the previous three seasons, as a starter, his save percentage was 0.917, .928 and 0.918.

Pavelec, with the Jets had ONE season similar to those numbers (0.920). The rest were hovering around 0.900. Guess what happened that season he got 0.920? Hint, sounds like playoffs. Actually, it's playoffs.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 3:44 PM

One of my co-season ticket holders is a huge Flyers fan (I know, I know.. haha)

He has high hopes for Mason. Says he's really streaky and that's the problem. When he's hot, he's hot. See Philly's 10 game win streak last year. Instead of having a Helle/Hutch tandem, we now have a Mason/Helle tandem, which is much better IMO. Mason is not the long term solution, Hellebuyck is. In two years if Hellebuyck is still struggling, it's time to take a good look at your options.

Really I think it comes down to two things for the Jets. Injuries and coaching. Hope for minimal injuries and Maurice to get his crew in order.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 8:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Why would Hawerchuk give up a relaxed life in Muskoka for the Jets?
Ducky always was very fond of Winnipeg and it's people. He has mentioned that he would have liked to retire as a Jet, but GM Mike Smith and him hated each other, and Smith (being the worst GM in Jets history), decided to make his life miserable to the extent Ducky wanted out. Hawerchuk has also worked with many Jets prospects and mentioned Winnipeg in a positive light. Many parallels between him and Scheifele.

Ducky deserves a chance at coaching in the majors. His kids are probably college aged, and I am certain he would relish the chance at taking the Jets to the next level.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan