HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:59 AM

Skytrain Cost per km

Hi everyone, I've been digging around on the internet trying to figure out cost breakdowns for Skytrain technology lines. Especially the difference in cost between elevated guideways and going on the ground (in an existing train ROW etc). It's hard to find information about all of the asian systems because of the language barrier, and Vancouver's lines have tunnels and bridges and things which make it hard to extract a generic number.

The best I've been able to do so far has come from a table in the Surrey Rapid Transit Study Phase 2 Alternative Evaluation. Two of the alternatives, RRT 1 and RRT 3, are Skytrain-only.

Lincoln Station on the Evergreen Extension is $28 million, and so I'm counting $28 per station.

RRT 1's "Alignments and Stations - Subtotal" is $1,356 million

8 stations x $28 = $224 for stations.

$1,356 - $224 = $1,132 for the alignment only.

$1,132 / 15.8 km = $71.6 per km of alignment only.

RRT 3's "Alignment and Stations - Subtotal" is $583 million

4 stations x $28 = $112 for stations.

$583 - $112 = $471 for the alignment only.

$471 / 5.6 km = $84 per km of alignment only.

Doing similar math, the Operations and Maintenance Center is $0.65 per vehicle and each vehicle is $4.57 for both RRT 1 and RRT 3. Additionally, the increase from the total cost of infrastructure and vehicles to the total capital cost is 111% for each.

Both of the alignments are described as being elevated guideway the entire way. The stations have mezzanines (making them more expensive than Lincoln Station, which should make the per km result of my math a little too high), and higher stations means higher guideway, which costs more in general but I don't know to what extent.

So does anyone know if these numbers check out? Is there more explicit information about this stuff somewhere? Does anyone know the cost of a non-elevated guideway (running in an old rail ROW)?

The context is that I'm looking at the plausibility of expanding the Detroit People Mover, and I thought you guys might know this information from your Skytrain discussions.

Thank you!

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 6:20 AM

They're old links from 2012 but they might have some of the info you're looking for:

The South Fraser Blog - Cost of SkyTrain

Pedestrian Observations - Relative Costs of Transit Construction

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure