HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:16 PM

Fat Chris's on Foster is a decent example of the style and saves you the trip

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
if i were to travel to detroit to immerse myself in detroit style pizza, what are the 3 places that are "must-go"?
I think Buddy's Pizza is the MUST visit and most famous. All of the exporting pizza shop owners from other cities go there to do their research on the process.

Niki's in Greektown was decent when I was in high school. I can't vouch for quality now, since that was the better part of 20 years ago.

And since you asked for three I had to cheat, lol. Based on photos I think the final one I would recommend is Belle Isle Pizza, which is a take-out joint on the near east side. The pictures of the pizzas look legit, and the reviews are good. Get a pizza and take it to Belle Isle to eat in the park.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 10:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ so it sounds like buddy's is the gold standard. i really want to plan a pizza trip to detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
Fat Chris's on Foster is a decent example of the style and saves you the trip
i'll check it out. thanks for the tip.

looking further into the issue, there now seems to be several places around chicago specializing in detroit-style pizza, which is cool.

longacre - uptown
union squared - downtown & evanston
fat chris's - andersonville
paulie gee's - logan square

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:48 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
I wouldn't classify any of the above as signature dishes for Houston.

What I think would make sense are some elements of Tex-Mex, more specifically fajitas (as a purist, I'd say you're referring to beef alone, but hey...) and the derivatives tied to them.

Thank you Ninfas and others.

For example, if I order "Enchiladas al Carbon" pretty much anywhere in the area - it will basically be the pieces of meat wrapped in the tortilla with sauce and generally no other filling.

It will also probably be on the menu as one of the options.

Elsewhere in much of the state or country, I've had to either ask for this version as a special order or be disappointed when I get an enchilada filled with tiny pieces of meat and more of the vegetables from a platter than anything else. Just sad.

Green sauce, though I've always enjoyed Red sauces more. I prefer my reds to be closer to a puree, but YMMV.

Vietnamese cuisine, from the large immigrant community that has been in the area for a couple of generations. More specifically the Vietnamese-Cajun crawfish and other fusion dishes that have emerged in recent years.

Fusion, however, is not uncommon in the region. Several of the higher-profile restauranteurs have mixed cultural backgrounds and this led to a different take on established dishes. There was a great piece on this in the Houston Press a few years back and it's definitely worth the read.
I didn’t take the question as the dish being a dish that the region did a good job at but rather had invented it, itself.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:32 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Didn't Houston invent drinking cough syrup? That could be our contribution to the world...

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I didn’t take the question as the dish being a dish that the region did a good job at but rather had invented it, itself.
Shouldn't that Houston fusion of asian and cajun become "casian"? Just sayin'.

Tongue twister.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:32 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenade View Post
LOL, Toronto is so multicultural, so here's a dish that excludes most of its multicultural population from eating.

Huh, who's excluded from eating a bacon sandwich? I suppose devout Muslims and Jews would abstain, but the rest of the (non-Vegetarian/Vegan) population is fair game.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
LOL, Toronto is so multicultural, so here's a dish that excludes most of its multicultural population from eating.
This is an amazingly stupid post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Huh, who's excluded from eating a bacon sandwich? I suppose devout Muslims and Jews would abstain, but the rest of the (non-Vegetarian/Vegan) population is fair game.
At this point there are probably more Torontonians who claim to be gluten-intolerant, or just avoid carbs, and won’t eat the bread roll than there are people who don’t eat pork for religious reasons.

Or does every signature dish have to be vegan, gluten-free and nut-free these days?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; May 22, 2018 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 6:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I seriously doubt that when William Davies popularized peameal bacon in the 1850s that he was deviously planning to "exclude" the 21st century multicultural population of Toronto.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:14 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Is pizzaguy Serenade or is Serenade pizzaguy?

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Is pizzaguy Serenade or is Serenade pizzaguy?
Just checked out pizzaguy's posts... woupelaye.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I seriously doubt that when William Davies popularized peameal bacon in the 1850s that he was deviously planning to "exclude" the 21st century multicultural population of Toronto.
Unlike the Spanish and Portuguese with paella and cataplana.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
This is an amazingly stupid post.

At this point there are probably more Torontonians who claim to be gluten-intolerant, or just avoid carbs, and won’t eat the bread roll than there are people who don’t eat pork for religious reasons.

Or does every signature dish have to be vegan, gluten-free and nut-free these days?

Few things annoy me more than eating with someone who is vegan, gluten-free or has major food restrictions. I know it's probably unfair but I can't help it, and it's especially hypocritical because my wife is vegetarian; which I used to tolerate but now I expect restaurants to easily be able to accommodate us. In fact, her food is often better than mine. Frequently enough we find ourselves at a restaurant where they hardly make an effort for her. We walked out of Ssam Bar today because the somewhat-veggie-friendly-menu online was replaced by a menu that had almost nothing for her. if you can only capable of making meat dishes great, then you're a crap chef.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Few things annoy me more than eating with someone who is vegan, gluten-free or has major food restrictions. I know it's probably unfair but I can't help it, and it's especially hypocritical because my wife is vegetarian; which I used to tolerate but now I expect restaurants to easily be able to accommodate us. In fact, her food is often better than mine. Frequently enough we find ourselves at a restaurant where they hardly make an effort for her. We walked out of Ssam Bar today because the somewhat-veggie-friendly-menu online was replaced by a menu that had almost nothing for her. if you can only capable of making meat dishes great, then you're a crap chef.
You tried to go to a David Chang restaurant with a vegetarian?

Not a great idea.

He’s a famous meathead. At least back in the day, there was even a note at the bottom of the menu specifically stating that they do NOT (emphasis theirs) accommodate vegetarian substitutions.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 9:10 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:

matty matheson is a one man wrecking machine making up for thousands of those folks.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
You tried to go to a David Chang restaurant with a vegetarian?

Not a great idea.

He’s a famous meathead. At least back in the day, there was even a note at the bottom of the menu specifically stating that they do NOT (emphasis theirs) accommodate vegetarian substitutions.

Yeah, I know. That's why I was surprised to see veggie options on their online menu. Ended up at USC and had an amazing lunch as always

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:23 PM

More on Chicago's pizza goings on. . .

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-10-categories

Quote:

Chicago is much more than a deep-dish town. In fact, we have 10 distinct types of pizza. Here are the favorites of longtime food reporter Steve Dolinsky, who recently started Pizza City USA tours of Chicago pizza spots. His book, "Pizza City USA: 101 Reasons Chicago is America's Greatest Pizza Town," is due out in September.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ essential reading for Pizzatarians everywhere.

Crust be with you.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:42 PM

This thread just makes me want to eat pizza again, which I haven't done sober in two years probably.

I was in Budapest a few weeks ago and they had some crazy good street food that I had to try. I think my favourite was these baguette sandwiches that they grill so that they are completely enclosed. Almost like a burrito but with a fresh baguette instead of a tortilla. Definitely doesn't sit light in your stomach afterwards but it was good.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
This thread just makes me want to eat pizza again, which I haven't done sober in two years probably.
for the love of Pizza God, why not?

shit-faced or sober, at any hour of any day, at home or out and about, pizza is always a great idea!

Pizza God wouldn't have it any other way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions