HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:03 PM

It would be wise to break that block up too. Add some through streets in two directions.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 8:00 PM

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 11:30 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Sounds like sears on 700 is closing in January.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Sounds like sears on 700 is closing in January.
Is that the same one that's closing on state street?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 1:37 AM

Of course it would be great if each tower included market-rate residential units as well...

Last edited by Old&New; Nov 4, 2017 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Of course it would be great if each tower included market-rate residential units as well...
This would be the PERFECT fit for this block. Love the Target addition too. And the walkway from that block to city creek. Makes too much sense so it probably wont happen.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 6:43 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastroc View Post
This would be the PERFECT fit for this block. Love the Target addition too. And the walkway from that block to city creek. Makes too much sense so it probably wont happen.
True that!!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
That walkway(underground?) to the SP would be like 180-200 feet long right? maybe a straight shot across the road to the entrance next to the Ballroom would be better.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 7:35 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

They put a fence up around the old biomat building. I’m a bit worried though. The fence is like just inches from the building. Ushualy when they put a fence that close it’s because they are going to let it sit there and rot... somone pleas tell me I’m wrong and they are getting ready to do somthing here? It’s been sitting with opened windows for years. I’m sure it’s all rotted out by now.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
That walkway(underground?) to the SP would be like 180-200 feet long right? maybe a straight shot across the road to the entrance next to the Ballroom would be better.
More like 100-120 feet long. Could use a moving walkway if concerned about distance. A straight shot under the cross walk would require a 90 degree kink in the tunnel, actually making the distance longer. Would also require demolition on first south. One of my goals of this design was to preserve those buildings on 100 south.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 3:07 AM

Quote:
More like 100-120 feet long. Could use a moving walkway if concerned about distance. A straight shot under the cross walk would require a 90 degree kink in the tunnel, actually making the distance longer. Would also require demolition on first south. One of my goals of this design was to preserve those buildings on 100 south.
I'm pretty sure the row including sidewalks is about 120 feet wide maybe more. WT is ridiculously wide.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 6:08 AM

The distance between the edge of the convention hotel tower to the edge of the salt palace is 230 feet.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
The distance between the edge of the convention hotel tower to the edge of the salt palace is 230 feet.
Oh, I just eyeballed it. For some reason I thought the facade of the capitol theater was 50 ft wide... maybe it’s 100 ft? How did you measure the distance?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:25 PM
Engineer

Well if you're like me and happen to know the right of way on West Temple (130 feet) and that the convention center is set back from the sidewalk another 30 feet or so, that makes 160 feet straight across. A tunnel at a 45 degree angle across would be 1.414 times larger, or 226 feet, at least.

Or, you can measure it pretty easily on Google Maps (just right click on a spot and select "measure distance"), or on the SLC assessor map (using the measuring tool).

Speaking of West Temple, I would really love to see road improvements, landscaping, and possibly a reduction of lanes, depending on feasibility. I think after State Street and 500 S and 600 S, West Temple should be the focus for upgrades. Maybe 300 W as well, just continue what has been done north of South Temple. Then possibly 200 S.

If anyone knows anything about the status of the State Street, 500 S, and 600 S projects, please let us know. According to the Life on State website, there was supposed to be a final report, plan, and timeline for the State Street project in September or October. We haven't heard anything about 500 S and 600 S (the "grand boulevards") in over a year.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, I just eyeballed it. For some reason I thought the facade of the capitol theater was 50 ft wide... maybe it’s 100 ft? How did you measure the distance?
freemaptools.com

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 8:54 PM

So what exactly are we talking about? Are they doing what that map is showing us or did someone make it up?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
So what exactly are we talking about? Are they doing what that map is showing us or did someone make it up?
I just made it up.

I measured on google maps (thank you airhero). Looks like the tunnel - at a 45 degree angle - is exactly 200 feet, the diameter of the circle plaza at the south end of the Salt Palace, or a little shorter than walking door to door inside the Salt Lake City Library's atrium.

Last edited by Old&New; Nov 5, 2017 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 11:16 PM

Something about long skybridges irks me. They cut off natural paths of traffic from each other, they're kinda ugly, and IMO they absolutely kill the street engagement of any area. Look at city creek. It should have an incredibly high amount of pedestrian traffic but instead of aligning the mall with the end of the trax stop they just put a bridge over the top of it and sucked main street dry of any attitude except for H&M, West Elm, and cotopaxi.

Skybridges are a very Las Vegas-esque solution to something that doesn't need to be solved. Make the sidewalks wide, line them with trees and shops, and let them walk to the convention center. You should not be able to spend the entire day inside of a convention center and hotel. People certainly have the right to be isolated from the climate for the vast majority of the time, but we live in one of the most naturally beautiful cities in the U.S. We don't live in minneapolis, our eyes aren't going to freeze shut. The most ideal solution is to strangle the cars of the vast spaces of land they eat up and accommodate high volume pedestrian movements through 100S / West Temple.

I think this goes to show how much I hate developments that keep pedestrians inside and locked up in general. Japantown is dead. That entire area is hot, grey, and dirty. The salt palace killed that area of town. And now we have an street that is uninterrupted for 1300 feet. That's unheard of in any city in the US to have a block interrupted for such a long length due simply to a building.

I spent some time in Queen Anne, Seattle these last couple of weeks and I know that seattle is an icon of dense, right-sized urban development but it still strikes me how developers are choosing to design their megaprojects. There are so many glaring differences that seem subtle but add up to big issues. They're undervegetating properties and when they are, they're using trees that stay dead for most of the year despite the large amount of evergreen trees endemic to SLC. They're constructing wide, uninterrupted swaths of... building. It doesn't even matter, but so many recent developments have gone up that are dry of personality. They look soviet. Even the choices of materials are bad. Those windows that you see on every single apartment building in SLC, surrounded with stucco? Those are cheap windows and yes, people notice that they're ugly.

The salt palace is no different. Its isolated, its dry, its hideous, and it contributes so much to the urban blight in and around W. Temple and 200 W that its almost depressing.

I guess I'm getting off topic, but I really, really, really hate the Salt Palace. Its way too flat and it cuts off each side of 100S to the point that the 130 foot wide western portion of 100S has essentially become a "dead" street. That's depressing. Japantown got knocked down for the salt palace.

If I had it my way, I would knock down the salt palace and put it on the 300W/S Temple empty parking lot. Stretch it vertically, and leave midblock pathways. And I would redevelop the entire area, but I wouldn't hand it off to one single developer like the Cowboy brothers or whatever the hell they're called. I want to see stuff like this in downtown SLC. Its not tall, its not boisterous, but its connected to the cityscape, its beautiful, and its at a human scale. I don't understand why we don't see stuff like this in SLC. The economics are here. I just don't think that SLC's planning commissions and local laws are strong enough at stipulating that projects are aesthetically pleasing, VEGETATED (why is this so much of a fucking issue? why are our streets barren of trees? please plant some FUCKING TREES), and human-scaled.

I am writhing at Joseph Smith right now. Fuck your oxcarts.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 11:50 PM

It's a tunnel under West temple that I've proposed, not a a skybridge. Yes, I agree with you on most points about skybridge/tunnels, and I tried myself to get CCRI to move the galleria path further North during the planning phase of CCC. But I think one of the stipulations of the convention center hotel is that it is directly connected to the convention center itself in order to be competitive on securing conventions.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
It’s over at Reddit, where this outdated forum should consider migrating to.
Not a bad idea. And anyone can create a subreddit...

www.UtahProjects.info

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West