HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 6:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i'm a bit ambivalent on the open-concept kitchen, but since moving to our new home we have come to LOVE the fact that our kitchen is now eat-in with a small breakfast nook area large enough for a 4-top table that works perfectly for our family meals.

our old condo had a traditional closed-off kitchen and adjacent, but fully seperated, dining room. no beuno for meal time with a couple of toddlers. having the ability for all 4 of us to gather, prepare, eat, and then clean-up our meals together in one unified space has made life profoundly easier, and thus more enjoyable, for us.

i'm not terribly concerned about the ramifications of floor plans on entertaining a large number of guests because that happens pretty damn infrequently for us these days. the functionality of space for day-to-day living is 8 billion times more important to me. and for our family with small kids, the eat-in kitchen has been game-changing for our day-to-day lives.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 23, 2018 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Yeah. If there's a game on, I want to be able to watch along with my guests while I'm cooking. If I'm a guest, I want to have the opportunity to volunteer to help prep while seamlessly hanging out with other guests and/or keeping an eye on the game. It's called socializing.
If your friend actually enjoys cooking and takes it seriously, please don’t do this.

My then girlfriend, now fiancée, learned my views on this early on, when we had rented a beach house for a week with friends and, at the weekend, both of our mothers joined. I was making a real dinner for everyone (parents were meeting), and people kept wandering into the kitchen and standing around with glasses of wine. Meanwhile I’ve got three things on the stove and two in the oven at once, and I had to discretely pull my girlfriend aside and ask her to please get all these fucking people out of my kitchen.

She (raised in a Texas McMansion) said to me: “But the kitchen is where people hang out!”

My reply to her was “No, the kitchen is a workplace.”

She gets it now. Everyone enjoyed the meal, btw.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Open plan layouts coincide with the elimination of gendered spaces. Obviously, women formerly gathered in the kitchen and men in the family room or den.

Once those norms were altered, home designs adapted to flowing social spaces. I don't think home design is reverting back to the discrete rooms.
Hmm, that is an interesting theory that never occurred to me and it makes sense as to why young home buyers want an open concept and the reason cited is to be able to entertain their guests.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 6:52 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
If your friend actually enjoys cooking and takes it seriously, please don’t do this.
I see you're from London, so you probably take dining in general more seriously/formally. In America, it's really not a big deal for guests and hosts to mingle during the cooking process.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I see you're from London, so you probably take dining in general more seriously/formally. In America, it's really not a big deal for guests and hosts to mingle during the cooking process.
I’ve lived in London for five years. I’m from Chicago. It’s more that few people in either place can actually cook, or choose to.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:02 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
You’re probably right, but we don’t all have to go along with it. Just as we can still avoid wearing shorts in the city, wear proper shirts with buttons and collars, and know that a jacket or black tie is never “optional”.
Wait...what?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:04 PM

My own preference is for a well defined dining area adjacent to a semi-open kitchen or a kitchen that is NOT the focal point of the main living area of the house or apartment. It seems to me that too many of the products delivered in today's housing market feature a giant kitchen wall and gigantic island that overwhelm the main living space, which is frequently rather small. Somebody mentioned that the smells associated with cooking can be removed by high end ventilation equipment, but this equipment is usually not provided in today's housing market. Instead there is a noisy hood over the cooking surface that only does so much to remove cooking smells. Then there is the mess associated with good cooking or any kind of cooking really. These over designed kitchens often have surfaces that look quite untidy until they have been restored to their HGTV pristine state where everything is tucked away behind seamless cabinets and drawers. I am addicted to Zillow and devote way too much time to online residential window shopping. I guess my tastes reflect my age, but I am immediately turned off by homes and apartments that feature the center-stage open kitchen. I have often wondered whether this was a fad or reflective of a possible bare-boned future where housing is reduced to a kitchen with seating and a few bedrooms and a bathroom or two. That sounds kind of grim to me.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Wait...what?
Shorts in a city are a no-no, unless working out.

Dude wearing shorts in NYC and not jogging/biking/in a park = American or Canadian tourist.

BANNED

Quote:
You’re probably right, but we don’t all have to go along with it. Just as we can still avoid wearing shorts in the city, wear proper shirts with buttons and collars, and know that a jacket or black tie is never “optional”.
Do you pop your collar?

^ I do not. Maybe in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Wait...what?
That doesn’t apply to Houston I guess. I don’t think shorts should be worn in cities like New York or London. Perhaps if you’re in a suburban part of west London, but not in central London.

I suppose Houston is mostly suburban and you’re not riding the subway or walking around much. You do have the possibility of going into a smarter restaurant, in which case you should not be wearing shorts. But I guess sartorial rules tend to go out the window in that climate.

Quote:

Dude wearing shorts in NYC and not jogging/biking/in a park = American or Canadian tourist.
Bonus points if they’re cargo shorts, or anything that reaches the knee. You might as well wear an “I Love NY” t-shirt (and not in an ironic way).

Also, don’t wear flip flops in the city (unless you like tetanus).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
My own preference is for a well defined dining area adjacent to a semi-open kitchen or a kitchen that is NOT the focal point of the main living area of the house or apartment. It seems to me that too many of the products delivered in today's housing market feature a giant kitchen wall and gigantic island that overwhelm the main living space, which is frequently rather small. Somebody mentioned that the smells associated with cooking can be removed by high end ventilation equipment, but this equipment is usually not provided in today's housing market. Instead there is a noisy hood over the cooking surface that only does so much to remove cooking smells. Then there is the mess associated with good cooking or any kind of cooking really. These over designed kitchens often have surfaces that look quite untidy until they have been restored to their HGTV pristine state where everything is tucked away behind seamless cabinets and drawers. I am addicted to Zillow and devote way too much time to online residential window shopping. I guess my tastes reflect my age, but I am immediately turned off by homes and apartments that feature the center-stage open kitchen. I have often wondered whether this was a fad or reflective of a possible bare-boned future where housing is reduced to a kitchen with seating and a few bedrooms and a bathroom or two. That sounds kind of grim to me.
I think this style referring to; the kitchen along one wall with an island stemmed from old loft conversions. That seems to be the popular format with these things that has transferred elsewhere. They look great in an open loft where space is a premium but crap in a typical house or apartment

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Dude wearing shorts in NYC and not jogging/biking/in a park = American tourist.
Or...a dude that is hot and wants to be comfortable outside of the work environment?

Ladies wear skirts, men wear shorts.

Or have Calves become offensive in N.Y. and London? It's been a while since I've been there, but skin was acceptable back in the day.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Or...a dude that is hot and wants to be comfortable outside of the work environment?
Ladies wear skirts, men wear shorts.
Locals wear pants. Short are not acceptable on guys in NYC unless you're headed to a park or the gym.

I wouldn't even wear shorts to an outdoor BBQ, not even in July, at least in the city. Light pants and collared shirt.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Locals wear pants. Short are not acceptable on guys in NYC unless you're headed to a park or the gym.

I wouldn't even wear shorts to an outdoor BBQ, not even in August, at least in the city.
Locals in a N.Y. summer wear pants? Not from what I've seen. Locals take their shirts off [often without deodorant].

I'm not talking about a worker on a work day. I'm talking about a New Yorker on their own time.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't even wear shorts to an outdoor BBQ, not even in July, at least in the city. Light pants and collared shirt.
Same.

Just don’t wear jeans. They don’t breathe and get hot as hell. A pair of lightweight chinos is not going to kill you. And linen pants can be a nice idea.

While we’re being fastidious... just don’t wear short sleeved shirts (meaning buttons and a collar). It’s like a tuxedo t-shirt or novelty tie. Wear a real shirt and roll the sleeves.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

meanwhile, everywhere else in the known universe, people wear shorts when it's hot out.

NYC is fucking weird.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Same.

Just don’t wear jeans. They don’t breathe and get hot as hell. A pair of lightweight chinos is not going to kill you. And linen pants can be a nice idea.
I think linen is a terrible look. It wrinkles after you sit down once. Dark denim is timeless and matches with everything even a coat if needed. [and the Kool kids like it].

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
meanwhile, everywhere else in the known universe, people wear shorts when it's hot out.

NYC is fucking weird.
And plenty of guys who live in NYC can be found running errands and doing things in the daytime wearing shorts. Not so much when headed out at night.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:21 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I've been to NYC and London many times...are we talking about the same New York and London? I saw people piss on buildings in both cities. Shorts are the least of their worries.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I think linen is a terrible look. It wrinkles after you sit down once. Dark denim is timeless and matches with everything even a coat if needed. [and the Kool kids like it].
Denim is too hot on a hot summer day.

Get heavier linen (it will still breathe, but have enough of its own weight to drape properly), and wear it a lot. Over time, it will stop wrinkling so much, when the fibers have been totally crushed and the fabric has softened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions