HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 1:48 PM

Hands down Denver

Edit: I thought this thread said favorite city, not best city in my state... I live in Utah and I don't care much for any of this state so I'll stick with Denver as its not too far!

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 1:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i'm changing my answer.

Illinois: Morton Grove (for the pizza)

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 4:52 PM

Pennsylvania: Oil City

Florida: Weeki Wachee

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:29 PM

Maybe Yellow Springs.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 8:53 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I'm gonna extend this to Canada and provinces. In BC, obviously Vancouver because I'm from there and it's awesome, but if not there, Victoria. It's very urban and busy for such a small centre, and is very pretty as well.
The City Discussion threads have a bad habit of only posing the question to people from one country out of the 200+ on planet Earth.

Rather than start 200+ threads I'll do the same as you. My answer is Toronto, Hamilton 2nd. If Victoria were double the size would you prefer it to Vancouver? What about Kelowna? People in Vancouver seem to view anywhere in BC that's not Vancouver/Victoria as a foreign country. It's completely off their radar.... which I find odd.

Last edited by isaidso; May 10, 2018 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:50 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i'm changing my answer.

Illinois: Morton Grove (for the pizza)
I had really good pizza in Schaumburg.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I had really good pizza in Schaumburg.
i hope you're not talking about the sbarro at the food curt inside woodfield mall.

but morton grove is home to both the legendary burt's and the original pequod's.

it's basically the most important deep dish pizza suburb in the entire universe.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 10:53 PM
E pluribus unum

Arizona: Jerome

Ohio: Columbus

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 11:02 PM

For me it’s my own city of Windsor in Ontario, and Detroit for Michigan! We have the best of both worlds here, with Detroit and Windsor forming one large international metro with two distinct core cities. It’s super affordable and very underrated, and I love both cities, it’s home!

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:14 AM

Current state:
Ohio - Cincinnati

Former states:
Alabama - Mountain Brook
Florida - Naples
Oregon - Bend

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The City Discussion threads have a bad habit of only posing the question to people from one country out of the 200+ on planet Earth.

Rather than start 200+ threads I'll do the same as you. My answer is Toronto, Hamilton 2nd. If Victoria were double the size would you prefer it to Vancouver? What about Kelowna? People in Vancouver seem to view anywhere in BC that's not Vancouver/Victoria as a foreign country. It's completely off their radar.... which I find odd.
Some things on the internet and in life are Americentric, imagine that.

Last edited by ThePhun1; May 11, 2018 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 4:16 AM

Quote:

Like I said to the person you responded to I apologize for excluding Canadian or posters from any other countries. The original post has been edited as well.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 4:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Pickle Crow.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:05 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:

I don't think I'd prefer Victoria at double its size to Vancouver because even then it'd be quite a bit smaller. I really like its vibe, but it still lacks the big city "crush" that Vancouver has. It really does come down to size though; I think each city at the other's population would be very similar.

I definitely don't think the rest of BC is a foreign country, nor is it off my radar. Though I'll admit outside of Kelowna, Kamloops (and Nanaimo) I don't know much at all about cities in the interior, just because I've never been there.

To answer your question though, yes I prefer Victoria to Kelowna. Kelowna just feels like a giant tourist resort rather than a real city. I know Victoria is touristy too, but it just doesn't feel like it dominates it as much as it does in Kelowna. That's not to say I don't like Kelowna though, I think it has a nice downtown that's also much stronger than I'd expect for a city its size, and I really enjoy visiting it. I'd still rather live in Victoria though, and possibly even Kamloops.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:08 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Like I said to the person you responded to I apologize for excluding Canadian or posters from any other countries. The original post has been edited as well.
Don't even worry about it, it's natural to frame these things within the context of what you're used to, there are plenty of Canadian threads that do the same.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 10:35 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Florida: West Palm Beach

Georgia: Atlanta

Tennessee: Chattanooga

New York: New York

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 10:44 PM

Kaskaskia

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 11:23 PM
恭喜发财!

Since Shanghai is a province-level municipality, my choices are Shanghai...or Shanghai.

I'm going with Shanghai.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 11:23 PM
Registered Ugly

There aren't that many great cities in Oregon. Your choices are basically Bend or Portland, and I choose Portland by a long shot. I don't think I could live in a town as small as Bend ever again, but it's definitely a cool place to visit. Also, don't move there if you're single.

As for my home state of Michigan, that honor would have to go to Detroit. It's one of the most exciting places in the US right now, IMO.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 11:51 PM

There isn't many great cities in Oregon. But there isn't many great cities in the US. I'd like to live in Boise or Denver though. I've never been in Denver during the winter so maybe not Denver. I've been to some California cities in the summer and I'll pass on those. Seattle is kinda cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions