HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
We all know what a great social spot Eaton's was...I miss being a kid at Christmas going to Eaton's.

It is still very sad that the company floundered.
My dad managed for Eatons for over 25yrs based in the downtown store. As a kid I grew up wandering the floors of Eatons waiting for him to finish work. Speaking of Christmas they have taken all of Santas Village(the animatronic displays) from Eatons and have them set up at The Childrens Museum until Jan 6 for anyone wanting a heavy dose of nostalgia.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

^^^ Sweet

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 7:35 AM
Density and complexity

Here is a drawing from the front page of the Winnipeg Morning Telegram, Christmas Eve 1904. This is back when Winnipeg was a good little boy that Santa Claus bestowed gifts upon. This drawing shows Main Street looking north, with vague renderings of the old Post Office, NE corner of Main and McDermot, and the Union Bank building, though it positions it incorrectly.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 12:50 PM
BANNED

It would be cool to be able to go back in time...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 5:02 PM
stucco is yucko

1948 Santa Claus Parade

Here's a little Christmas Magic for y'all from Eatons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S55kTuqDfU

they just don't do it like that no more

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 10:28 PM
Starring as himself

Thanks for posting. I'll show that to my father who would have been lined up to watch that somewhere along the route.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 12:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

nice find has a nice view of graham ave to

looking through another one of the 12 vids put up by the u of m archives and found this image
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../8/XGLje-BhQrU

wonder what the story behind that was?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonyman View Post
Here's a little Christmas Magic for y'all from Eatons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S55kTuqDfU

they just don't do it like that no more
I think I'm going to have nightmares from that parade.
Those rabbits (at about 15 seconds) look a little reminiscent of... :

Donnie Darko anyone?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 3:28 AM

what an amazing/trippy parade. why aren't people trying/creative anymore? nobody gives a shit about 40 dodge rams with a couple strings of xmas lights thrown on it, with a d-list local radio personality standing in the box. bring back crazy shit like the KING NEPTUNE (wtf awesome?!) and the JUNGLE PRINCE floats and the little low-tech but charming hand-pulled wagon floats with animal cutouts. all those classy dolled up babes wouldn't hurt either.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 4:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique View Post
what an amazing/trippy parade. why aren't people trying/creative anymore? nobody gives a shit about 40 dodge rams with a couple strings of xmas lights thrown on it, with a d-list local radio personality standing in the box. bring back crazy shit like the KING NEPTUNE (wtf awesome?!) and the JUNGLE PRINCE floats and the little low-tech but charming hand-pulled wagon floats with animal cutouts. all those classy dolled up babes wouldn't hurt either.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 3:45 AM

Anyone know what was the deal with Ingersoll Street in the West End being partially vacant land between Ellice and Portage as shown on this map?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2236/...e87caff4_o.jpg

Last edited by myuglyface; Dec 28, 2009 at 3:50 AM. Reason: added link

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuglyface View Post
Anyone know what was the deal with Ingersoll Street in the West End being partially vacant land between Ellice and Portage as shown on this map?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2236/...e87caff4_o.jpg
Isn't that where the RCMP and Provincial government (driver licensing) offices are? Maybe it was some sort of government land reserve.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 10:49 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Isn't that where the RCMP and Provincial government (driver licensing) offices are? Maybe it was some sort of government land reserve.
That's on Dominion I believe.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 6:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

probly bits of land that had not been split up and sold yet

you could probably find out if u went to land tittles they do have quite the well documents history of land tittle information if not one of the best in the world from my understanding

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
probly bits of land that had not been split up and sold yet

you could probably find out if u went to land tittles they do have quite the well documents history of land tittle information if not one of the best in the world from my understanding
I have to clear some time and hang out there some day. I am at 766 just north of Ellice in an 1894 house. The scuttlebutt has been that there was nothing from here south to Portage for many years and this map sort of confirms that. The houses around here to the north are of the 1912 vintage. South are bungaloes added in later years with a few around now St Mathews seemingly in that 1912 era then mostly bungaloes the rest of the way to Portage. Still..seems strange that nothing got going to the south for some reason especially as it would have been closer to Portage Avenue.
The Motor Vehicle/Blind Institute stuff is indeed between Dominion and Sherburn. I believe a creamery had it's horse stables north of there if I recall my Dad's recollection. My Mum recollects how he would come home from work smelling of horse poop.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 8:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 10:55 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuglyface View Post
I have to clear some time and hang out there some day. I am at 766 just north of Ellice in an 1894 house. The scuttlebutt has been that there was nothing from here south to Portage for many years and this map sort of confirms that. The houses around here to the north are of the 1912 vintage. South are bungaloes added in later years with a few around now St Mathews seemingly in that 1912 era then mostly bungaloes the rest of the way to Portage. Still..seems strange that nothing got going to the south for some reason especially as it would have been closer to Portage Avenue.
The Motor Vehicle/Blind Institute stuff is indeed between Dominion and Sherburn. I believe a creamery had it's horse stables north of there if I recall my Dad's recollection. My Mum recollects how he would come home from work smelling of horse poop.
People weren't just building houses randomly. Developers had to register plans of subdivision with the City then just as they do now, and it is possible that the area to the south of you was a separate subdivision whose owner either didn't want to develop it or didn't market it as well as the developer of your area. However, it's more likely that the land was being used for some non-residential purpose that has since been forgotten. Or else maybe it was swampy land or something like that. Would be interesting to find out.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 10:55 PM

1ajs, that church picture you just posted, is that what's now Calvary Temple? The tower portion looks familiar...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 11:54 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.online View Post
1ajs, that church picture you just posted, is that what's now Calvary Temple? The tower portion looks familiar...
Yes. First Baptist became the Calvary Temple and the Calvary Temple saved the tower of the old church when they built a new church about 25 (?) years ago. The tower is all that remains of the three great churches that once stood around that spot: Central Congregational and the old Knox Presbyterian being the others (Knox was where the Giant Tiger now stands and Central Congregational was across the street just west of it, if I recall correctly).

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 3:36 AM

Experimenting with placing a picture on this forum. This is a shot of Polo Park before it became an enclosed shopping mall.

Last edited by myuglyface; Jan 7, 2010 at 4:04 AM. Reason: addition

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan