HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:45 PM

Telephone system Cell or hard line?

Things are changing and I have been talking to a wide variety of people. It seems more people are dropping their landlines and going for full cell service. Is this a new trend and where is it headed.? Will BELL or cable phone do something to whoo customers back.
Will cell service get better and cheaper?
Will coverage area expand?
I speak from my area in the GTA and I went total cell.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:53 PM

Landline, I own no cell phone atm nor have for 3 years. I'm not dieing without it (as many people would think).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:58 PM

I use both land and cell lines. I actually prefer the landline because of how it feels in my hand and I just prefer the use of phones at home. Anyways, I don't really see what's "Canada" about this topic, maybe thread move to Skybar?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 11:11 PM
Torontonian Refugee

I use a cell line exclusively because it offers everything a landline does at about the same price, and I'm too cheap to have both. Though the cell phone is convenient and all, I actually prefer landlines since the reception in my area (ie inside London's built-up area, thanks for the great service Bell!) is a little spotty, and people tend to cut out as the phone searches for a signal.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
I use a cell line exclusively because it offers everything a landline does at about the same price, and I'm too cheap to have both. Though the cell phone is convenient and all, I actually prefer landlines since the reception in my area (ie inside London's built-up area, thanks for the great service Bell!) is a little spotty, and people tend to cut out as the phone searches for a signal.
It isn't the reception, it's the technology. Transmitting data several kilometers with a transmitter that has to be weak enough to safely be held a quarter inch away from your brain is always going to be less efficient than a direct link via insulated, high quality wire. For the same reason, my internet is 25% faster when I plug it directly into the computer instead of using WiFi, even though the WiFi receive is a much shorter distance. (About 2 feet if I'm sitting beside it, versus the approximately 4 foot length of cable.)

It's amazing how people on cell phones, even very expensive ones like iPhones, sound like they're trying to communicate with you through a 1953 television broadcast. And people spend hours talking on these things! I don't know how they can stand it. I don't like talking on the phone anyway, that's why I don't have one. Contrary to my previous position on the issue, I might just get a cell phone so I can chat with people on msn without having to turn on my computer.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 12:38 AM

Since I still live with my parents, the house does still have a landline. I honestly haven't touched the thing in years, though. If you set yourself up with a decent cell phone plan, and use features such as unlimited nationwide calling and texting to five/ten favourite numbers (Telus offers this, and I make liberal use of it), there is functionally no difference, and the price remains very reasonable.

In Calgary, reception is generally great on Telus as well. I don't have any problems with call quality... it's completely indiscernible from any land line I use. That wasn't always the case... some of my older phones were awful in this respect (they were also on Telus' old network). But, it hasn't been an issue for me for a number of years. I imagine this is less of an issue in more urban areas with much more dense infrastructure, as well.

Believe it or not, but Canada has some damn fine cellular infrastructure, especially given the geographical area of the country. The Telus/Bell HSPA+ network is very extensive and pretty damn reliable. Pricing, on the other hand, isn't that great relative to the rest of the world. But, it's still well within the average person's means at this point.

Personally, I just like to keep things consolidated and simple. I hate having to manage multiple e-mail accounts, multiple computers, and indeed multiple phones. A land line offers me zero additional functionality that I need, so paying extra for it is pointless. When I move out, I'll just be sticking with my cell phone.

Last edited by floobie; Mar 16, 2012 at 3:32 AM. Reason: grammar!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 12:52 AM
BANNED

I used both from 1990 to 2003, cell only since then. I began using Skype in 2009. Simply no need for a land line.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 12:59 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
Since I still live with my parents, the house does still have a landline. I honestly haven't touched the thing in years, though.

Personally, I just like to keep things consolidated and simple. I hate having to manage multiple e-mail accounts, multiple computers, and indeed multiple phones. A land line offers me zero additional functionality that I need, so paying extra for it is pointless. When I move out, I'll just be sticking with my cell phone.
Ditto. Though I do have and enjoy multiple computers.

Also, for myself, the one function I use the least on my phone is the phone itself. I use a fair amount of data, but talking to people on it is something I just do. not. care. about. I don't have any use for long distance or unlimited calling plans, I don't care about sound quality, and I don't even pay for texting since that's also a waste of money (to me). If I could just drop the phone part of my plan and just pay for data + talking by the minute, that would save me hundreds of dollars per year.

Flickr

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 1:09 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I'll likely never again live in a home with a land line. We have one at my mom's place, but even she doesn't use it anymore.

Honestly, I don't even know where there is a phone jack in my house. I'm sure there is one, but I've never seen it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 1:53 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It isn't the reception, it's the technology. Transmitting data several kilometers with a transmitter that has to be weak enough to safely be held a quarter inch away from your brain is always going to be less efficient than a direct link via insulated, high quality wire.
I actually plug in a wired headset for calls that last longer than a minute, although I suppose to avoid the "brain cancer" risk entirely I'd always have to have the headset on standby. But my point is the data transmission near my house is significantly worse than it is only 500m in another direction. Spotty coverage is still the issue here.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:08 AM
Closed account

I rely entirely on a cellphone, but my housemate got a MagicJack, which seems to be a reasonable deal.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 5:19 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
I actually plug in a wired headset for calls that last longer than a minute, although I suppose to avoid the "brain cancer" risk entirely I'd always have to have the headset on standby.
To avoid the brain cancer "risk" from RF transmitters you basically need to line your head with tin foil, avoid using any electronic device whatsoever, and never, ever go out in the sun.

I still retain a landline for the house alarm system, and the monthly or so long call with the parents. Otherwise it's virtually never used.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 8:51 AM
The New Republic

I got rid of my land line at least 15 years ago; 1994-1996? I honestly thought land lines would go the way of vinyl records, but people keep using them.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 12:58 PM

I use the phone in my work Bberry if there is no alternative, but at home its land line, exclusively. People blathering into cell phones in public is so low class.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 2:52 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
People blathering into cell phones in public is so low class.
Agree. It's astonishing how many people think it's alright to make everyone around them listen to their conversation. On the subway/streetcar/bus people should just call back or be very very discreet/quiet.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree. It's astonishing how many people think it's alright to make everyone around them listen to their conversation. On the subway/streetcar/bus people should just call back or be very very discreet/quiet.
I have to admit that I am often guilty of having conversations with companions while in public.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I have to admit that I am often guilty of having conversations with companions while in public.
Not to fully open this can of worms, but:

It's not the fact that a conversation is being had, generally. It's the manner in which it's done. An annoying, inconsiderate loudmouth will be an annoying, inconsiderate loudmouth if he's talking on the phone, or to someone right next to him. I answer the phone on the train all the time. However, I generally keep my voice down so I don't disturb anyone. Not hard...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:29 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

I may one day switch completely to cell only, as smartphones are interesting machines and I am a consumer whore.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I know a few people who doesn't have a land line anymore because they're using their cell phone as their only phone now.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
Transit Nerd

Funny with ALL of the cellphones lately, landline phones look like those chunky 1970s calculators these days. Like seriously, develop the landline phone into a computing device. Then, I can tap the numbers in, and possibly play Pong while awaiting to get a representative, or something.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada