HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 2:48 PM

i've never heard of these places you mention. interesting! and yeah, Honey can get very tight at times

Bassnectar drops his beats on December 4, 2009 at the NEW Richard's On Richards 556 Seymour Street (former home of A&B Sound), where a new club will open in mid November. The new establishment promises four lounges, a 5,000-square-foot dance floor, and two art galleries. I am definitely going to check this place out! i guess they're sticking with the original name? it will continue to have live music sunday to thursday http://www.upstreamentertainment.com...ming.html#Bass

and here's the first exhibit;

has anyone been to the Railway Club lately? i heard they opened up a new Chill Lounge and renovated the back bar.

Last edited by Delirium; Nov 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 10:09 PM

Will the new Richards on Richards be a live music venue? To my knowledge the number of live venues in downtown is pretty slim, and they are all small capacity ones too. I can only think of Railway Club, the Media Club.. hm Pub 340? It would be great to have more live music in town, attracting a greater number and variety of acts, either touring or local.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 4:31 PM

^ yes. as noted above, they will have live music Sun-Thu

The new Venue Nightclub (formerly the Plaza) has a strong live music component www.venuelive.ca. the renovated space includes some cool LED walls

www.mattcoolen.com

serotonin afterhours
A brand-new legal afterhours club at 1058 Granville St. - coming this fall. 6500 sq ft - 500 capacity Open Fri, Sat, Holiday Sunday 12am - 7am

www.clubzone.com

construction

www.clubzone.com

and another bar/lounge is opening up at 1180 Granville

www.clubzone.com
"Barcelona's Ultra Lounge concept lends itself to the boutique style clubs of Las Vegas, Miami and London. A beautifully designed room
with the sensual warmth for a first date drink, but with plenty of cutting edge glitz and glam"

Centro restaurant on granville closed and a new space called "Cinema" will open in its place in time for the olympics. this is at smithe/granville

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 4:25 AM
Dérive-r

So, having never personally been to an afterhours club, how do they tend to work exactly? I'm assuming they don't serve alcohol, at least not after the usual times, so is it sort of just a place where people can legally continue hanging out after other clubs close and the people just sort of run on whatever alcohol they consumed earlier in the night?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 4:46 AM

they open at 1 am or around than - the one just off granville - allows people as young as 15 in apparently - there was a big hubbub because they had a shower night thing girls as young as 15 in bikinis dancing in a shower - the promoter thought there was nothing wrong with it - some people wanted the city shut it down but since its legal they could do nothing

anyway yes they don't serve alchocol - but my friend worked at the one on granville - which is primarily gay - it opens at 2 am and closes around 8 am and he said you could order "the special" and it was usually alcholic but they don't serve alchol and most people who get there are already drunk or high on something or just love to dance

they are fun but the granville one last i heard was about $40 cover to get in

Last edited by SpongeG; Nov 10, 2009 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 5:11 AM

The fact that so many of these places don't just have concrete floors they hose off after each night amazes me.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 5:14 AM

haha

the floor at the odyssey is so gross sometimes you stick to it - its well worn carpet

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
So, having never personally been to an afterhours club, how do they tend to work exactly? I'm assuming they don't serve alcohol, at least not after the usual times, so is it sort of just a place where people can legally continue hanging out after other clubs close and the people just sort of run on whatever alcohol they consumed earlier in the night?
most legal afterhours do serve alcohol until the usual cut off times. you end up paying much more cover to get in though ($20++) which keeps out the trash but also the club tries to recoup money because people generally don't drink. alcohol does not keep people partying til 10am the next day

also, doors aren't open all night. they usually shut them before the rest of the bars let out (~3am) to avoid having the drunks come in. some afterhours also do not let a group of guys come in on their own without having a girl in the group.

while most afterhours go til 7am it;s not uncommon for parties to carry on til 11am, noon the next day but damn, you do not want to stay that long.
only the desperate, completely f*** up people remain and it;s not pretty.
but from opening til 6am, it's an amazing party.

btw, Absolute is launching their "Vancouver Vodka" today.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 5:42 PM

Great thread!

I've become a fan of the Morrissey recently, which isn't all that new, but in the past two months they've completely remodelled and redecorated the interior. The food, service, music, and overall atmosphere is really refreshing for Granville Street.

Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanmi...7622111206295/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynobotica View Post
Great thread!

I've become a fan of the Morrissey recently, which isn't all that new, but in the past two months they've completely remodelled and redecorated the interior. The food, service, music, and overall atmosphere is really refreshing for Granville Street.

I love love love the Morrissey! I don't go there often enough. There's also one in Victoria but it's called Smiths Pub.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Great thread!

they used to have the best irish stew there - along with a pint of Guinness of course

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 6:05 AM

I thought Guinness was Irish stew?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 9:18 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Wow. A lot of new clubs have opened since my departure. I was always a big fan of Shine. My bro used to work at an ill-fated restaurant/club called Up and Down near Shine, and both places were owned by the same group, so we always had free cover and REALLY cheap drinks. I'll have to make a night out of Shine again when I'm back.

I like the looks of a lot of these new places.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Great thread!

Wowzers! The new Morrisey looks amazing... like somewhere cool in Shoreditch. Hopefully that'll help up the standard for the city in terms interior design.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 2:44 PM

^ no kidding. the Morrissey looks great. thanks for posting the link.

photo by Urban Mixer on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanmi...7622111206295/

photo by Urban Mixer on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanmi...7622111206295/

it reminds me of Deuce Bungalow (a couple blocks north on granville).
Deuce is a "spanglish cantina". great place for tapas and drinks

photo by www.mattcoolen.com

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:53 AM

Live Music at Whineos on Granville near Nelson

I have been to Greece, Poland, England, Holland and throughout the United States, but I have not seen another bar quite like Whineos on Granville near Nelson (http://www.whineos.com/tuesindexf.html.) Posh yet markedly counter-culture, Whineos welcomes all. In fact, I even saw a sign which indicated those under legal drinking age are allowed to enter with adult accompaniment. A close friend of mine who used to professionally plan parties and wine tastings in Vancouver suggested I try Whineos on a Tuesday for $7.50 pitchers of beer and $4.00 appetizers. Hard to say no to that!

The first thing I noticed when I arrived was the piano right by the door: This is my kind of place. I eventually got talking to Jeff, the manager, about how often it is used. I told him I can play and would love to perform in such a venue. He told me every Monday some guys get together and jam some covers; I am invited if I would like to join.

I played my second gig at Whineos on November 16th and this time I was invited early for some solo time. I bantered, "My goal is to get everyone to drink more so if you think my playing sucks and want to drink more as a result, it's all good." I moved from Beatles to a Chopin interlude, continued on with some Billy Joel and Ben Folds. I even snuck in one of my originals without announcement. Like the man himself, I began Ben Folds' The Secret Life of Morgan Davis with "This is a Polka about a crack dealer." The audience generally responded positively. In the case of performance there will always be skeptics and unless they can provide you with constructive criticism, it is best to ignore them.

The rest of the crew arrived and we rocked out some Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin, Counting Crows and Rolling Stones among others.

It was a wonderful night filled with both verve and sweet potato fries. Try the mini-burgers.

See You Monday!

http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?hl=...neos+vancouver...

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/blo...le-near-nelson

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 1:28 AM

^ thanks. i never noticed the piano at whino's before.. LOL. not crazy about the food there but great wine list of course.

Section 3 in yaletown has a live dj fri/sat nights. fun place

www.sectionthree.com

www.sectionthree.com

www.sectionthree.com

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 1:46 AM

i was just reading that Browns Social house in yaletown shut down without any notice and it reopened november 18th as the hub - slightly different but the same apparently - more bar like and sports thing i guess less chainy menu

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 2:29 AM

hub is going to be "upscale casual" with a focus on comfort foods and staff in t-shirts. seems to be the trend now.

www.scoutmagazine.ca

has anyone been to Joey's Bentall? It looks really nice. they also have a dj saturday nights.

www.foodandtell.com

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 2:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I thought Guinness was Irish stew?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment