HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 2:25 AM

Why is no one question the developer who built the low income apartment building? This building doesn’t seem seismically safe if an excavation site across the street is causing this many problems. God forbid we had a major earthquake and something happened with absolutely no warning.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 5:47 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Why question them when everyone around the site has been suffering from catastrophic foundation damage.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Why question them when everyone around the site has been suffering from catastrophic foundation damage.
That’s true, I forgot about the others.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 3:13 AM

One of those affected buildings is pretty old and unkept looking. Would be nice if it were torn down and replaced with something new and not just patched up.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 4:40 AM

Hmm... I really dislike podiums but mainly because of how they're built in Kelowna. If they could keep them at 3 stories or lower, it would look a lot less imposing from the pedestrian POV. If they are building higher than that then the developers should attempt to wrap around the parkade with active spaces, like office spaces or maybe even some residences. To me the worst offender is Bernard Block. To have such a massive parkade being such a prominent part of the building facing our main street is pure sin. 🤷🏻♂️

Someone else suggested dedicated parkades. Honestly, at least that would concentrate parking space into fewer singular ugly spaces. Even the one behind city hall by the museum doesn't look too bad with some of the simple architectural details.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 4:01 PM

The university says it’s been measuring ground movement regularly and changed the underground parkade from four storeys to only two to prevent having to dig any deeper.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMi View Post
The university says it’s been measuring ground movement regularly and changed the underground parkade from four storeys to only two to prevent having to dig any deeper.
I cannot find anything official about it, where does this information coming from?

Deep down I really want this project to continue...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackko View Post
I cannot find anything official about it, where does this information coming from?

Deep down I really want this project to continue...
It came from Lesley Cormack, principal and deputy vice-chancellor of UBC Okanagan. Link below:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10397591/...sider-futures/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMi View Post
It came from Lesley Cormack, principal and deputy vice-chancellor of UBC Okanagan. Link below:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10397591/...sider-futures/
So confusing, weren't they saying in the beginning of March the dig is complete for the full 4-5 storey?

Based on this article
https://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/n...2b9ae9269.html

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackko View Post
So confusing, weren't they saying in the beginning of March the dig is complete for the full 4-5 storey?

Based on this article
https://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/n...2b9ae9269.html
From a screenshot of the video it almost seems like they've dug deep enough but there are also parts where it's shallower (ramps). Perhaps they will have reduced parking with shallower depth at some parts but still 4 stories deep at the deepest point? Or perhaps the spokesperson misspoke?

A real shame if they change the form to include more above ground parking.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaResident View Post
Hmm... I really dislike podiums but mainly because of how they're built in Kelowna. If they could keep them at 3 stories or lower, it would look a lot less imposing from the pedestrian POV. If they are building higher than that then the developers should attempt to wrap around the parkade with active spaces, like office spaces or maybe even some residences. To me the worst offender is Bernard Block. To have such a massive parkade being such a prominent part of the building facing our main street is pure sin. 🤷🏻♂️

Someone else suggested dedicated parkades. Honestly, at least that would concentrate parking space into fewer singular ugly spaces. Even the one behind city hall by the museum doesn't look too bad with some of the simple architectural details.
Couldn't agree more. I know theres been plenty of discussion on the podium subject already, but it's just so incongruous when you see these massive things next to a one or two-storey business. There's gotta be better balancing. I think the worst one still for me has got to be the Landmark 7 podium from a Harvey Ave point of view or from Dilworth 😂

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 11:05 PM

Stabilization work resumes at UBCO site downtown Kelowna

Hopefully the form of the project doesn't change too much. I have a feeling that any future projects will shy away from digging more than 2-3 stories deep.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 11:54 PM

Maybe this has been discussed on here previously and I missed it but from KelownaNow:

Ambitious redevelopment plans revealed for Kelowna fitness centre, pub
Ambitious redevelopment plans have been revealed for a property off Highway 97, across from the Landmark District and adjacent to Parkinson Recreation Centre (PRC).

The Developer, Dialog, is looking to completely redevelop the properties at 1574 and 1634 Harvey Ave.

The site is home to the Global Fitness & Racquet Centre, Dakoda's Sports Bar & Grill and several small commercial retail stores and offices.

<who> Photo Credit: Dialog
Photo Credit: Dialog

The 159-page Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP) was recently submitted at city hall proposing a major mixed-use redevelopment with “greater heights and densities than afforded in the Core Area Neighbourhood designation.”

The ARP includes three different concepts for the project, however, all three concepts proposed some building heights reaching 30 or more storeys.

Concept 1
The first concept proposes up to six buildings with heights ranging from four to 34 storeys.

The tallest buildings, which are 30 and 34 storeys, would front directly onto Harvey Ave.

Smaller buildings sitting at four, six, 11, 14 and 24 storeys would be located in the centre.

Office space would be located closer to the intersection of Harvey Avenue and Burtch Road while retail space would be located at the centre of the project.

Residential space would account for 73% of the area while office and retail would make up 3%.

There would be an estimated 1,345 residential units with over 720 parking stalls in podiums or at grade.

A pair of south-north drive aisles would be located in the centre of the project while several pedestrian paths, running east to west, would provide access to the PRC.

Concept 2
Under the second concept, there would be a 39-storey and a 36-storey tower fronting onto Harvey Ave with smaller buildings reaching heights of four, six, seven, 15, 19 and 27 storeys.

The smaller buildings would front onto Burtch Road while the medium sized ones would be located in the centre of the project.

There would be 1,343 residential units, 690 parking stalls, office and commercial space.

Parking would be split between above grade stalls and partially underground parkades.

This concept includes more park and open space than the first concept but maintains the access to the PRC.

Concept 3
The third concept envisions three towers reaching 30, 32 and 37 storeys fronting onto Harvey with smaller buildings throughout the project.

Two six-storey, one 12-storey and one 18-storey building would font directly onto Burtch.

This concept includes shorter buildings throughout the project.

It also includes a central open amenity space at the heart of the project with connectivity to the PRC provided in two main spots.

There would be 1,343 residential units and 840 parking stalls, which would be "partially recessed and partially raised throughout."

These ambitious plans will likely take some time to be circulated around the city’s planning department before a report is presented to city council for consideration.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 12:41 AM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
The Eli is going up very quickly, love to see it.

I think my criticism of Kelownas skyline rn is that the downtown area takes up a large foot print and yet buildings arent very concentrated so it looks like downtown is multiple skyline clusters frome angles like this.

UBCO should really help fill this in if it ever is completed.

Right now the north end of downtown where waterscapes and one water street is located is doing the heaviest lifting and feels the most "big city"
The bernard block is the second big cluster, an the Eli (waterfront by the park?) should also soon make another cluster. It reminds me of some suburban vancouver skylines since it's mostly condos with very few commercial towers.

From the street level it looks fine, but from a distance it really needs to fill in more. I hope the 12 story hotel gets build as well as of course UBCO and that BC Housing tower.

I think a few more 10-20 story buildings in between the clusters would make a big difference. Either way Kelowna is very much looking like a proper city now.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 6:55 AM

The focal length of that lens really puts the size of the mountain, and the fire that ate it, into perspective. Much different view than what I saw from my place @ One Water.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 5:10 PM

Would also like to see the skyline close in a bit. Mission group is currently sheet piling for their 19 storey on Bertram, so we’ll see that one get some height this year. Additionally BC Housings 20 storey tower also on Bertram is still in stream. Both are rental towers.

Majority of condo towers have slowed or put on hold likely until we see interest rates come down.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:22 PM

View from Casa Loma that gives a great shot of the clusters of towers. UBCO and Mission groups rental will fill the gap eventually.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia