HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Keatings Tobacco has now officially moved into their new location:

DMCI photo

Their old location had more character.......
It definitely did, but Keatings moving, opened up prime property on the corner of Moncton most popular bar areas.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Keatings Tobacco has now officially moved into their new location:

DMCI photo

Their old location had more character.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
It definitely did, but Keatings moving, opened up prime property on the corner of Moncton most popular bar areas.
Altought I do agree there old location had more character It was a tight queeze to get in there, and it seems hard to navigate to get to things both for the owneremployee, and customers alike. It seems this location despite being smaller. Has been set up in a way to make it more accesible.

I seen the sign on the side of the Keatings building, and assume the Rouge location is for sale, or lease someone would make a nice location utilizing both units.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:57 PM

I think the lease sign is for the old navigators location.. combining navs and keatings together would make a good size bar or restaurant with both a street front presence and the great patio area navs had in behind it in the alley, that was a gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I seen the sign on the side of the Keatings building, and assume the Rouge location is for sale, or lease someone would make a nice location utilizing both units.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:12 PM

They started tearing down these houses that are almost at the corner of Church/Mountain:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.09401...7i13312!8i6656

They've been boarded up for some time. Wonder if there's something planned. I don't remember seeing anything.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not aware of anything, but close to MHS and Baci Italia, so depending on what happens to the MHS redevelopment plans, this could be an attractive piece of land for developers to consider.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
They've been boarded up for some time. Wonder if there's something planned. I don't remember seeing anything.
Likely part of the current "purge" of boarded-up/condemned squatter buildings.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:30 PM

FYI one of the old webcams on the Blue Cross pedway checked out a few weeks ago so we've replaced it with one of a much better vintage.

http://www.moncton.ca/Visitors/Web_C...treet_East.htm

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:16 PM

Wow! What an upgrade compared to the old view.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
FYI one of the old webcams on the Blue Cross pedway checked out a few weeks ago so we've replaced it with one of a much better vintage.

I just noticed on this new webcam the new apartments in dieppe actually standout very well. Even with them being so far away they are very visible from this angle and actually add to the density.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I just noticed on this new webcam the new apartments in dieppe actually standout very well. Even with them being so far away they are very visible from this angle and actually add to the density.
I've noticed that just driving east on Main Street. The apartment building has impressive massing and is oriented perfectly with Main Street, making the downtown area feel much larger.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 11:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is a proposal before Moncton PAC to allow "temporary offsite parking" until June 30th on the vacant lot on the NW corner of St. George St & Cameron, where Wesley United Church used to be. This proposal is being made by Killam Properties.

#1 - Since when has this land belonged to Killam Properties?
#2 - Why is this petition only until June 30th? Is there something planned after this date???

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 1:53 AM

It was covered with crushed stone late last summer and has been used as a paid parking lot since then...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:06 AM

Quote:
There is a proposal before Moncton PAC to allow "temporary offsite parking" until June 30th on the vacant lot on the NW corner of St. George St & Cameron, where Wesley United Church used to be. This proposal is being made by Killam Properties.

#1 - Since when has this land belonged to Killam Properties?
#2 - Why is this petition only until June 30th? Is there something planned after this date???
last date on record with a financial sale of this lot Was November 15 2017.
Suprisingly it went for under 1 Million.

and I onder if this will be Killam Properties newest Mixed used Building like 460 Mountain Road. Shhhh Nobody is suposed to know they simingly have another building in the works .

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 11:21 AM

I grew up going to Wesley Memorial. My father told me that the the original plan was to sell the church to Out of town investors and turn it into Condos. that was 6 or 8 years ago. Investors got cold feet. and the sale fell through the sale died and the land has been vacant for a few years. Hopefully that land gets developed as it is an awful empty hole in the downtown that should be filled

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post

Awesome, Vorkuta

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
last date on record with a financial sale of this lot Was November 15 2017.
Suprisingly it went for under 1 Million.

and I onder if this will be Killam Properties newest Mixed used Building like 460 Mountain Road. Shhhh Nobody is suposed to know they simingly have another building in the works .
It would be nice to have something go up there rather than just more empty corner lots used for paid parking. If it is like 460 Mountain Road, it would be nice to place in that location.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, apparently Keating's Tobacco's new sign is running afoul of heritage designation rules:

T&T photo

Even though the store is located in a new building, the lot the building is built on still has a heritage designation from the days it was occupied by the old Colpitt's Building. This type of back-lit box sign is not allowed under heritage rules. The owner has been told he will have to modify or remove the sign.

While on the face of it, the application of heritage rules to a new building seems rather heavy-handed, in this particular case I tend to agree. I don't like this particular sign, and I don't think it fits into the character of the neighbourhood. I think a more discrete sign that conforms to existing heritage guidelines might be more tasteful.........

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The provincial government has committed to building a replacement school for Hillcrest & Bessborough in the west end of the city. To that end, they have allocated $1.5M for initial planning.

No thoughts on location yet, but the most likely choices are building on the Bessborough site, or building in the Franklin Yard development on Millenium.

Tough choice. Bessborough would be in the center of the neighbourhood, but the Franklin Yard site is over 20 acres, therefore would be able to accommodate all the sports field etc. that are expected with a modern school.

Actual school construction is probably a couple of years off, with opening in about four years........

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 12:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently they are trying to reopen the Burrito Jax locations with a new franchise owner - negotiations are ongoing.....

http://huddle.today/burrito-jax-hope...n-restaurants/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Apparently they are trying to reopen the Burrito Jax locations with a new franchise owner - negotiations are ongoing.....

http://huddle.today/burrito-jax-hope...n-restaurants/
For me it's the fact they are stating that the bussinesses are still there but seeing the properties put up for rent by the property owners says otherwise.

The one at the Northwest Centre they claim is temporarily closed but looking into it it seems to have been reinstated into it's original floor plan, and the Downtown location they already have a For lease sign in the window.

was at Tim's today, and heard people who where a little bit older then myself. They where talking about Moncton Bussinesses back in the 60's, and 70's blaming Nafta that was signed in 1994 for Moncton's( and Canada's) Bussiness crawl.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces