HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:44 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Isn't that building in labroco's department?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Went for the soft open and it was a great space. Some dishes were "meh" but it was literally the first day they served them so I know it'll be amazing.
Heading there this week. Friends who have been have had good experiences, and the expanded menu looks great (not sure what will be offered on the night).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Gave the clue here a little while ago but couldn’t let it out of the bag then... I think enough ppl in the industry know now it won’t be on me haha.

Leopold’s Tavern will be opening two Winnipeg locations this year with plans for more in the future. Don’t know exact locations yet but they will be South Osborne and Exchange District.

It’s a great small-footprint “dive bar” concept. Good comfort food, cheap drinks; will do well here. Based in Regina.
I liked Leo's in Calgary. Interesting location choice. Next to Park, which is probably good, but seems like it would have made more sense in OV vs. South Osborne. Guessing it's a combination of high rents in OV and the *perception* that there's less competition in South Osborne?

(I think a Leo's in OV would thrive, probably at the cost of Jekyl and the Toad, both of which get away with being crappy because they don't have much competition, and I worry the SO area doesn't have the neighbourhood density to sustain a Leo's...)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:27 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ South Osborne supported Luxalune fairly well, that was a pretty big pub/lounge and it managed to stay busy, especially on weekends.

Ever since it closed and the space became Wpg Cycle, there really hasn't been a watering hole in the area other than the Marigold's cocktail/VLT lounge. Which with all due respect to them, isn't really that great a place to be unless you're addicted to alcohol or VLT gaming.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ South Osborne supported Luxalune fairly well, that was a pretty big pub/lounge and it managed to stay busy, especially on weekends.
oh that's true. had totally forgotten about them.

is the leo's space the old deseo? or is that further down the block?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 7:29 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Yes, it's the old Deseo if I remember the picture on the tweet correctly.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:

Ever since it closed and the space became Wpg Cycle, there really hasn't been a watering hole in the area other than the Marigold's cocktail/VLT lounge. Which with all due respect to them, isn't really that great a place to be unless you're addicted to alcohol or VLT gaming.
Hermanos, formerly Blind Tiger, still doing pretty good business right across the street. The city was compelled to put another crosswalk right there because it was so hazardous crossing Osborne.

Good news on the Deseos property!
Put up an antenna. TV is free as it always was and now comes with full program descriptions for the next 14 days on each channel, plus full HD that's far superior to cable and again, it's free!(after initial setup).
You're forced to watch the commercials anyways, right? Why would anyone pay for that?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:29 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Is Hermano's operating a lounge? It occurred to me after I posted about Luxalune that Blind Tiger had a busy little lounge area going as well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:31 PM

^How long has Hermano's been operating a second location in South Osborne?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:38 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Maybe not quite a year IIRC?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
^ Is Hermano's operating a lounge? It occurred to me after I posted about Luxalune that Blind Tiger had a busy little lounge area going as well.
Yes, they have a combined restaurant and lounge. Took over Blind Tiger about 6 to 8 months ago.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...433509703.html
Put up an antenna. TV is free as it always was and now comes with full program descriptions for the next 14 days on each channel, plus full HD that's far superior to cable and again, it's free!(after initial setup).
You're forced to watch the commercials anyways, right? Why would anyone pay for that?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 9:16 PM

Peg Beer Co has closed. Per their FB: "We are currently closed. Once we are able to provide further info, we will. Thank you for your support and understanding."

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:01 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Per their FB: "We are currently closed. Once we are able to provide further info, we will.
This is the traditional sign on the door of every company that goes under permanently.

Winnipeg computer stores especially.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Peg Beer Co has closed. Per their FB: "We are currently closed. Once we are able to provide further info, we will. Thank you for your support and understanding."
That is a shame. I'd heard they were doing well and planned to get over there one day. IIRC they were planning on moving their patio to the front of the building this summer.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
That is a shame. I'd heard they were doing well and planned to get over there one day. IIRC they were planning on moving their patio to the front of the building this summer.
We tried going there one day. Shame you needed a reservation to have a beer.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:45 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
They've had a few court judgements against them in the last year, but all small stuff.

Granted, the last couple ended recently. The most recent ended on Jan 23rd with an order to pay Pratts Ltd. $6,094.29 for an unpaid account.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
We tried going there one day. Shame you needed a reservation to have a beer.
Wasn’t impressed with their product!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:24 PM

Leo's will crush it in South Osborne – that's a huge area with not many options for drinks. Well – none really, Hermano's isn't exactly the best for casual beers. They are all small footprint locations, and tend to locate in less central areas where they won't have much competition. But the food and drink is great.

PEG has/had average beer and the service was horrific. I actually don't know how it was possible to pour beer so slowly. Worked with the owner when she was at Half Pints and she was brutal to deal with so if they closed down, can't say I'm overly surprised.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 7:31 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I liked Leo's in Calgary. Interesting location choice. Next to Park, which is probably good, but seems like it would have made more sense in OV vs. South Osborne. Guessing it's a combination of high rents in OV and the *perception* that there's less competition in South Osborne?
South Osborne is a great location given the number of people who live in the Riverview/Lord Robers/Elm Park area.

Winnipeg needs more "neighbourhood pubs". I would love to see one open up in the East Kildonan area since the best we can do is BP and Jeffrey's.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
South Osborne is a great location given the number of people who live in the Riverview/Lord Robers/Elm Park area.

Winnipeg needs more "neighbourhood pubs". I would love to see one open up in the East Kildonan area since the best we can do is BP and Jeffrey's.
some consider Brown's Socialhouse and BP lounge, neighbourhood pubs! I don't but some do

Leopolds is a chain too you know!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan