HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kerr View Post
OK, so let me rephrase the question.

The Harvard tower has already broken ground, the demolition is done for all intents and purposes, they're putting up a 20 storey tower and they're saying occupancy won't be ready until late 2012 or early 2013. Now, this is the same bunch of people that have already put up a tower or two in Regina - so I kind of trust their predictions.

On the other hand, the CP bunch haven't even broken ground, yet they're saying they're going to build a 10 storey hotel, a 26 storey condo tower.. AND they're going to get it done before the end of 2012?

So what's the difference? Is the CP project less square footage all together? Are they using some kind of super duper construction techniques? Or... are they just making sh*t up?

Like I said, I'm just curious. I don't have any money down on this, but if I did I think I would be asking a few questions - my nuts would be getting a little tight right about now.

My guess is that CP could have more than one crane.. one for the hotel and one for the Condo?? I'm sure by 2012 they will at least the hotel up and running.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 3:16 AM
Edan

The square footage would obviously be much larger in a hotel/condo building than in the 20 floor harvard tower. I mean for one thing there are like 2 towers going up with CP, the hotel portion and the condo portion.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 4:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post
My guess is that CP could have more than one crane.. one for the hotel and one for the Condo?? I'm sure by 2012 they will at least the hotel up and running.
OK, so now you are making stuff up. They're going to have more than 1 crane.. maybe they'll have a dozen cranes - wouldn't that be wonderful? Yes, of course they'll have at least the hotel up and running by 2012 - but is that exactly what they are saying?

Don't get me wrong I would love to see this project completed and up in the air. BUT, there has to be some questions asked.

Yes, I'm willing to be optimistic, but, we need to be realistic. I can say I'll send a rocket to the moon, but I need the backing of NASA to do it. Is that the case here?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 4:42 AM

^^ I wasn't stating it as a fact, it was simply a guess.

Here's some background on the developers:
Quote:
Who are the Developers?by Capital Pointe on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 9:28am
With a history of two decades, the Westgate Development Ltd. brings the spirit of innovation to Regina real estate market. President & CEO, Yosup Kim, represented Korea Properties Development Ltd. in Seoul Korea with 12 buildings in its portfolio. Focusing on Multi Complex buildings, each building is designed and built upon a foundation of trust and respect.

Westgate Development Ltd. is a company with the vision to build what is destined to become a Regina Landmark – Capital Pointe Condominium. It is a revolutionary new concept in condominium living, creating distinctive lifestyle and ensuring that you enjoy living environment. A family company committed to exceeding your expectations.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 4:09 PM

Does Capital Pointe have a third party warranty program?

Just wondering if anyone has heard what warranty program is providing 3rd party warranty? In order for a customer to get CMHC financing (anyone with less than 20% down) the project needs to have a warranty program to qualify.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kerr View Post
OK, so let me rephrase the question.

The Harvard tower has already broken ground, the demolition is done for all intents and purposes, they're putting up a 20 storey tower and they're saying occupancy won't be ready until late 2012 or early 2013. Now, this is the same bunch of people that have already put up a tower or two in Regina - so I kind of trust their predictions.

On the other hand, the CP bunch haven't even broken ground, yet they're saying they're going to build a 10 storey hotel, a 26 storey condo tower.. AND they're going to get it done before the end of 2012?

So what's the difference? Is the CP project less square footage all together? Are they using some kind of super duper construction techniques? Or... are they just making sh*t up?

Like I said, I'm just curious. I don't have any money down on this, but if I did I think I would be asking a few questions - my nuts would be getting a little tight right about now.
Chamberlain construction does everything very fast.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 9:40 PM

I think 2012 occupancy for CP is just sales hyperbole. They will be able to occupy the lower floors before the upper floors are finished, but this is booming Regina where nothing get built quickly these days. It took a year to finish a little pedestrian bridge over Wascana. Harvard has said in the media that they are pulling out all the stops to get their tower done by early 2013.

saskhomeboy is correct that the big question is construction financing. This is the biggest challenge for this project.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhomeboy View Post
I'm not sure owning a crappy hotel for a number of years makes them qualified to be a developer of a project of this magnitude. I hope I'm wrong. The proof will be when they get their construction financing.
Why come on here and spread rumors , they are not building this complex chamberlain is ,read up about it get the story straight, do some research , they have financing in place .

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Why come on here and spread rumors , they are not building this complex chamberlain is ,read up about it get the story straight, do some research , they have financing in place .
If you read my Sept 17 post, I stated that they have a Ontario general contractor (Chamberlain) who appears to have never built anything in Regina. I asked in a subsequent post if anyone heard if they have warranty - no response yet. I don't think asking questions is spreading rumors. I hope this project goes well - really. I would just feel better if it was a big company like Harvard behind it. There is a lot of inherent risk in a project like this.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhomeboy View Post
If you read my Sept 17 post, I stated that they have a Ontario general contractor (Chamberlain) who appears to have never built anything in Regina. I asked in a subsequent post if anyone heard if they have warranty - no response yet. I don't think asking questions is spreading rumors. I hope this project goes well - really. I would just feel better if it was a big company like Harvard behind it. There is a lot of inherent risk in a project like this.
I would have to re-iterate the previous poster's request to do some research. First of all, Harvard doesn't build things, even with the new office tower, Graham is building it. Harvard is financing it, and will manage it. They got another company to design it.

Chamberlain, is a 30 year old company from Ontario that started as an architectural firm that evolved into a construction firm as well. They also have offices in Arizona and in China...big enough for you yet?

Check out their website.

I think it is a really good thing to get more players in the construction scene here in Regina to compete with guys like Graham and PCL.

Last edited by skthunder77; Sep 26, 2010 at 9:43 PM. Reason: one more thought...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 3:23 AM

I have not seen anything firm on financing. This will be a very difficult project to finance.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 3:30 AM

[QUOTE=Stormer;4994732]I have not seen anything firm on financing. This will be a very difficult project to finance.[/QU Capital pointe is having a celebration for the start of construction on sept 29 vip invitation only.

Last edited by thefourthtower; Sep 27, 2010 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skthunder77 View Post
I would have to re-iterate the previous poster's request to do some research. First of all, Harvard doesn't build things, even with the new office tower, Graham is building it. Harvard is financing it, and will manage it. They got another company to design it.

Chamberlain, is a 30 year old company from Ontario that started as an architectural firm that evolved into a construction firm as well. They also have offices in Arizona and in China...big enough for you yet?

Check out their website.

I think it is a really good thing to get more players in the construction scene here in Regina to compete with guys like Graham and PCL.
HERE HERE SO VERY TRUE.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 3:01 PM

[quote=thefourthtower;4994738]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I have not seen anything firm on financing. This will be a very difficult project to finance.[/QU Capital pointe is having a celebration for the start of construction on sept 29 vip invitation only.

I do not imagine that lining up financing to "start" (remove the weather tower) construction was all that difficult.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 7:16 PM

DEMO!

Demolition of Regina's Plains Hotel set to begin

Planning in place to protect adjacent buildings from collapse

Story Tools

ShareThis

Reported By Patrick Book
Posted September 29, 2010 - 12:49pm
The demolition of the former Plains Hotel building on the corner of Albert Street and Victoria Avenue begins Wednesday, but will continue through the next several weeks.
A ceremony will be held Wednesday afternoon at the site with Regina Mayor Pat Fiacco and Westgate Developments CEO Yosup Kim knocking out a cornerstone of the building with sledgehammers.
That's just the start. The next month will see the interior of the building completely gutted. Westgate Development's Lin Saplys says the actual demolition will occur in November and it will be carefully executed.
"There's adjacent buildings around that have to be carefully monitored for vibrations and so forth because the shoring and the underpinning that has to go in at the two adjacent buildings will take a while. That will take place over the winter months," said Saplys.
That shoring will ensure the adjacent streets and buildings don't collapse when crews begin digging down three stories to build the underground parking garage for the new hotel development.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=Stormer;4995115]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post

I do not imagine that lining up financing to "start" (remove the weather tower) construction was all that difficult.
LOL!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skthunder77 View Post

Check out their website.

I think you missed my point - its the developer that needs to get financing and needs to pick up any cost overruns when (not if) a project like this goes over budget. As I said "There is a lot of inherent risk in a project like this". Ask the developers (or their receivers) in Calgary that are filling in the 4 storey deep holes in the ground because they could not get financing even with a sold out building. The developer matters too. Just read some Skyscraper forums (link below), where it talks about the 10 abandoned high rise sites in Calgary:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/arch.../t-165554.html
I think its prudent to ask questions, have a healthy skepticism, and not just drink the kool-aid on the website.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=saskhomeboy;4998575][QUOTE=Stormer;4995115]

LOL![/QUO Any how great news .

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 3:49 AM

The official start of demolition ceremony was actually tonight not next wednesday as newstalk980 reported. I have pictures I can post when I have a chance to upload. For now i can tell you that the schedule they announced is:

Oct: gutting recycling of Plains Hotel pipes and fixtures and hoarding of site;

Nov.-Dec.: demo of building;

winter: shoring adjacent buildings;

April 2011: excavation of 4 levels of underground parking - 40 feet deep. deepest in Sask

October 2011: out of ground - build a floor a week;

End of 2012: Hotel open

Early 2013: condo occupancies begin

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 2:46 PM

Pics from Demo reception at Plains site last night:

Mayor Pat knocks out first "bricks":

SW view:

SE view:

NE view:

close up of green roof:

1000 square foot terraces for some suites:

South Penthouse/Infinity Pool:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan