HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Had a quick look through the prelim 2014 budget for the City and there is some cash budgeted for the Chief and Bill Clement Extensions. $1.5M for the Chief Peguis - Main St to Route 90 extension and $800k for the Bill Clement - Grant to Wilkes extension. Engineering works I'm thinking. Haven't heard much about these recently since the big announcement a year or so ago that they were being pushed ahead.
This is good to hear! Thanks bomber!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_hoser View Post
If the Headingly By-Pass is to really meet up with the TCH at St. FX, could there be a larger interchange that would include PTH26?

Yes I know...♪♪Dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer♪♪
A bunch of land around the #1/PTH26 intersection was rezoned to "holding" status a few years ago.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 5:56 PM

BRIDGE UPGRADES & ROADWORK
Winnipeg CONTEMPLATED
Kenaston Blvd, from Taylor Ave to St James Bridge $130,000,000 est

Note: This project is on hold pending land allocation. The consultant completed a preliminary study in 2012. Request For Proposals (RFP) will be issued for civil engineers to complete detailed design. Timing of the RFP is undetermined pending capital funding approvals. Further project schedules have not been set.

Project: widening of Kenaston Blvd, from four lanes to six lanes, from Taylor Ave to the St James Bridge. The project includes structural improvements and widening two bridges over the Assiniboine River. - joc

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 6:00 PM

^ Funny how the other major N/S route, Lagimodiere, needs two more lanes just as badly as Kenaston and has no such land acquisition issues, yet nothing is being built there. Why not start with the easy project instead?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Funny how the other major N/S route, Lagimodiere, needs two more lanes just as badly as Kenaston and has no such land acquisition issues, yet nothing is being built there. Why not start with the easy project instead?
It's Winnipeg?

I wish I had a good response for you but logic/sense doesn't always apply in our fair burg on the prairies. Politics....

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
because I use Kenaston more than Lag and I'm important

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 5:37 PM

Reconstruction of the St. James Street Bridge over Omand's Creek will begin this Sunday, January 5, 2014. As of 3:00 p.m. Sunday, St. James Street will be closed to traffic for 3.5 months where the bridge will be reconstructed.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 6:12 PM

So got back last night from a week in Minneapolis. Not going to comment on the freeways (or lack of in Winnipeg), etc. That's a dead horse already...

But CLEAR THE DAM STREETS WINNIPEG!!! My goodness. Pulling onto the Perimeter and it's a skating rink. Lag, skating rink... Literally. It's not like it just snowed yesterday. It's been days. Use some salt on the main routes. Residential street I don't care. But come on already, it's just ridiculous. When my girlfriend who really doesn't follow construction or anything says "Winnipeg roads are a complete joke" (and that's a direct quote). I know it's bad... End rant..

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 6:23 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Salt stops working at about -12 so spreading it now is a waste of money.

I heard a city engineer on the radio this morning saying the machines are having a very hard time removing the packed snow and ice from the streets.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 6:36 PM

This year they have done an unusally poor job with snow clearing. Wasn't it a bugetary decision to not clear it as well?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 6:55 PM

I don't know, use calcium then or something. Seriously unacceptable to have your major, high-speed routes completely covered in ice. Haven't we figured out over the last 2 centuries how to clear the snow? Why are the budgets so shoe string every year? Budget an extra couple million each year. I know they can do it. That way maybe they'll build up a bit of a surplus on low snowfall years, so they can use it on the higher snowfall years.

After a week of fantastic driving it was hard to comeback and see really how sad the road conditions are.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 7:07 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I heard a city engineer on the radio this morning saying the machines are having a very hard time removing the packed snow and ice from the streets.
This is the primary issue the city is dealing with.

Budget is no longer a concern as the city is now on the 2014 snow clearing budget.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
This is the primary issue the city is dealing with.

Budget is no longer a concern as the city is now on the 2014 snow clearing budget.
Budget should never be a concern for snow removal. This is frickin Canada, allocate the money. Shouldn't even be a predetermined budget, whatever snow removal costs, it costs. What's the alternative? Watch the economy go into a tailspin as people can't get to and from work everyday?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 2:51 PM

^ Took me over 1.5 hours to get to work this morning... normally 30-45 minutes.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 2:57 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
What's the alternative? Watch the economy go into a tailspin as people can't get to and from work everyday?
The alternative is having bumpy rut filled residential roads that just get a light scraping/leveling from a sanding truck with a blade every now and again.

Calgary and Edmonton rarely have residential snow removal and people get to work in those cities through the winter.

Another option would be to suspend residential sidewalk clearing and leave that responsibility up to the homeowner.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 3:38 PM

Quote:
The alternative is having bumpy rut filled residential roads that just get a light scraping/leveling from a sanding truck with a blade every now and again.

Calgary and Edmonton rarely have residential snow removal and people get to work in those cities through the winter.

Another option would be to suspend residential sidewalk clearing and leave that responsibility up to the homeowner.
I'm a little bias now that I live downtown, but I'd want the city to be looking into this (the first more than the second). It costs way too much money when it snows right now.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 3:52 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I'm a little bias now that I live downtown, but I'd want the city to be looking into this (the first more than the second). It costs way too much money when it snows right now.
I never said that the first solution was pretty. I hated having to deal with residential streets when I was living in Calgary.

That said. The economy didn't grind to a halt.

I like the idea of shoveling your own sidewalk. A good number of Winnipeggers could probably use the exercise.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 3:54 PM

Winnipeg's snow clearing policy is badly out of date.

For example, back lanes are currently given a higher priority than residential (Priority 3) streets for clearing to provide "accessibility for citizens and refuse collection" yet in newer surburbs there are no back lanes so the priority 3 street is used for this purpose. Further, back lanes are cleared after 5 cm of snow, the same level as Priority 2 (aka collector) streets. Residential streets are only addressed after 10 cm of snow. Even further still the side walks on Priority 3 streets are cleared after 8 cm of snow.

So given the right circumstances, it is possible everything, included all sidewalks, could be cleared of snow except residential streets according to the current snow clearing policy.

I have been urging by city councilor to open up a discussion with City Hall and citzens at large on how we can modernize the current snow clearing policy.

Winnipeg's Current Snow Clearing Policy

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 4:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why are we even discussing the removal of a core service.......
lanes get plowed cause most people park in the rear... and thats were trash pick up is

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 5:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I like the idea of shoveling your own sidewalk. A good number of Winnipeggers could probably use the exercise.
Pretty well everyone on our street does theirs, except for a lazy few.

Eliminating residential sidewalk clearing would save a lot of dough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan