HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

609 Main at Texas in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Houston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Houston Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Jones View Post
I wish Houston would get a supertall, but with all the land, developers simply dont care to go high.
Or downtown.

Residences downtown would be appropriate. There should be plenty of people who want to avoid the commute. But that "food desert" thing might be a deterrent.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle
At least three new office towers are in the works for the area, including a sleek and soaring glass structure that commercial property developer Hines says it will break ground on early next year.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...2&t=fa84c9cb77

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:30 PM
Chairman

How nice it would be to see all five mentioned proposals from the article be built at once.

Also... Can someone change the rendering of this thread to the new design? The pic above the posts is what I am referencing.

-sb

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Jones View Post
I wish Houston would get a supertall, but with all the land, developers simply dont care to go high. Maybe in 10 years we will get one, but I dont see anything other than some mid range high rises from 40 to 50 floors or roughly 600' If you think about the latest tower, Anadarko, its roughly 35 stories but the first 12 floors are parking...so we are really talking about a 23 story office
Yeah but that tower is 25 miles north of downtown in TW. For downtown, there are a couple of rumors going around now. Don't think Houston will see a supertall, but towers between 650-800 ft seems likely.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 5:12 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
Or downtown.

Residences downtown would be appropriate. There should be plenty of people who want to avoid the commute. But that "food desert" thing might be a deterrent.
It's not really a "food desert" there is a Randalls in Midtown and a Phoenicia in One Park Place.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 5:37 PM
FYHA

Looks like the leasing site is now active...

http://www.colvilloffice.com/colvill_new/609/

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 7:33 PM
FYHA

I posted this on HAIF a while back - just a simple visualization of how a similarly sized & shaped building would make an impact on the skyline.

Quote:
So I was bored and decided to play with Google Earth + Sketchup to at least attempt to get a feel for how a building of this size and shape would interact with the skyline. I played with the top peak of the roof, and saw that either way - if it's 650 - 700 feet, it'll show up better from some views than others. I also tried to match it up with some of the early renderings out there for perspective...

-From Around UHD

-Dynamo Stadium

-Minute Maid Park

-Eleanor Tinsley Park (just behind Pennzoil Place)

-Midtown, at the Superblock (That small fin just above BG Group Place)

-45 N @ Quitman, minus the newer flyover, or the "other" traditional skyline view

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 9:19 PM

The tower will be larger than planned, and may move ahead without a major tenant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Culture Map
Houston's next great skyscraper? Hines to Texas size new Main Street office tower, speed up development

Hines, the Houston-based real estate firm that developed the tallest office tower in Texas, is expanding the size of its skyscraper proposal for a major scale office tower on Main Street.

The result will be one of downtown Houston’s premier office projects — what some in the real estate industry have been calling “Class AA.” Hines is moving ahead quickly and the tower is expected to be Houston’s next completed skyscraper and surprisingly, it may be started before any tenants are signed.

Earlier this year, Hines confirmed in an exclusive CultureMap story that the development company was planning to build a 41-story tower with 815,000 square feet of space at 609 Main Street. But the project is now planned to be a much larger building with high-grade amenities.

“We are moving full speed ahead on design and expect to break ground first quarter of 2014."

The Houston office market is exceptionally strong and a number of major energy firms need room to expand, so Hines has enlarged the scope of the project and it will be one of downtown most significant towers.

“Because of demand, the building’s size is expected to grow from the initial 815,000 square-foot concept,” John Mooz, senior managing director in Hines’ Southwest Regional Office, tells CultureMap.

The height and size of the building won’t be finalized until the fourth quarter of this year when design of the tower will be finished, Mooz says. The Pickard Chilton architecture firm, based in New Haven, Conn., is designing the skyscraper.

The First of The New Giants

Hines is expected to break ground before the other proposed Houston skyscrapers: The Market Square area building by Linbeck/Essex/Stream, the Skanska project at 811 Rusk and the proposed Chevron building at 1600 Louisiana.

“We are moving full speed ahead on design and expect to break ground first quarter of 2014,” Mooz says.

Mooz says no tenant has been signed. Typically, buildings of this magnitude have substantial pre-leasing before construction begins. But Hines is believed to be considering going forward with this building as a “spec” project without a tenant in-tow, although Mooz declined to confirm that and did not disclose other details. “We will break ground during the first quarter of 2014,” Mooz reiterates.

The building will be located at the southeast corner of Main and Texas Avenue, catty-cornered from the Rice Lofts, which was the historic Rice Hotel at one time. The Hines site is known as Block 69. The Block 69 site is only one block away from the tallest building in Texas — the 75-story JP Morgan Chase Tower, which Hines developed and completed in 1982.

The newest Hines tower will have the Metro rail running right by its front door on Main Street. In another Main Street project two years ago, Hines completed the BG Group Place tower, a 46-story tower at 811 Main Street, and that building is now more than 96 percent leased.

Having such strong leasing at BG Group Place could encourage Hines to start the 609 Main Street tower on a speculative basis. Spec projects are more risky and Hines, which was founded in 1957, is known for making shrewd moves and few mistakes. Or Hines may be close to announcing an anchor tenant for 609 Main, but there’s no indication of an imminent tenant signing.

Developers are moving ahead with downtown office towers because the Houston office market is exceptional tight — with vacancies near record-lows. The prime “Class A” space in downtown has a vacancy rate of only 7.6 percent, according to the CBRE real estate firm.

Article: http://houston.culturemap.com/news/r...p-development/

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jul 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 9:54 PM
Meh

Awesome. That's a great site for another really tall building since it'll have a presence from the western view of the skyline, and of course the north and east. And another parking lot will bite the dust.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 10:54 PM
Chairman

This is indeed excellent news.

So we have this project, 1600 Louisiana and the Marriott Marquis Convention Center Hotel which appear to be a definite for construction during 2014. I am looking forward to the sea of cranes.

Perhaps the renovation of Exxon-Mobile may have some cranes

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Jul 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
This is indeed excellent news.

So we have this project, 1600 Louisiana and the Marriott Marquis Convention Center Hotel which appear to be a definite for construction during 2014. I am looking forward to the sea of cranes.

Perhaps the renovation of Exxon-Mobile may have some cranes
this tower is going to end up being like 800+ feet.

im really looking forward to the sea of cranes in downtown too. two 50+ story buildings going up simultaneously? if International Tower signs a tenant we could have 3 50ish story buildings rising. Houston is booming!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:03 AM
Here we stAy

Great news for Houston. Glad to see more investment in the core.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud713 View Post
this tower is going to end up being like 800+ feet.
I'm not expecting that much of a plus-up. This one will probably be 50 stories. And Hines may wait for a tenant, despite the hints it will be 100% spec.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 1:24 AM

Quote:
I'm not expecting that much of a plus-up. This one will probably be 50 stories. And Hines may wait for a tenant, despite the hints it will be 100% spec.
the Devon Tower in OKC is 50 stories and its 850' tall. dont forget the crown is an additional 9 stories. if it ends up being 50 floors it will be more like a 60 story building. i dont want to get my hopes up either but i dont think an 800 footer is out of the question.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:12 PM

So that's two 50-story buildings and a 41-story building downtown, plus two 30-plus story structures in the Galleria area. That's a lot of office space, not counting what's going up in the Energy Corridor. That's going to really change the look of the city.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 8:02 PM

Y'all are coo coo for CoCo Puffs if you think all of these projects will occur simultaneously. This is Houston.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblelino View Post
Y'all are coo coo for CoCo Puffs if you think all of these projects will occur simultaneously. This is Houston.
What's your point? This is Houston like its never been. Why can't some people be optimistic without being ridiculed?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
That's actually the reason that they may all indeed get built simultaneously. Look what happened the last time Houston truly boomed like today.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
So that's two 50-story buildings and a 41-story building downtown, plus two 30-plus story structures in the Galleria area. That's a lot of office space, not counting what's going up in the Energy Corridor. That's going to really change the look of the city.
2 50 story buildings, and a 41 story building downtown? which buildings would those be? Chevron of course (which is more like 58 stories), this one, which was already 50 stories before they announced it would be "Texas sized" (the crown is 9 stories), and then what other tower?

Quote:
ironically i just linked this article in another thread right before i read this. Houston is growing like never before and more and more jobs continue to be relocated to the area. that on top of an already very low vacancy rate means that Houston needs to start building more office space, and fast.

http://www.chron.com/jobs/article/On...of-4339893.php

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 5:37 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud713 View Post
2 50 story buildings, and a 41 story building downtown? which buildings would those be? Chevron of course (which is more like 58 stories), this one, which was already 50 stories before they announced it would be "Texas sized" (the crown is 9 stories), and then what other tower?
5 Allen Center
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153249

-sb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive