HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
Well I am asking less about the MGate specifically and more about why architects rail against revivals of classic architecture?

I like the Gate ok but its surroundings do not fit the monument. Atlanta has a harsh cold architecture, and I'd bet that love it or hate it the Gate outlasts some of the buildings at Atlantic Station.
Architects actually have a long history of building buildings with classical designs. Look at Washington D.C.; it is one giant monument to the past. Roman and Greek designs exude power, so it you want to show power build it in marble and put in a a bunch of arches and columns. But the GATE is more in the tradition of follies; England is covered with them; Germany too; in Kassel there is a magnificent folly, a whole Roman scene and aquaduct, that has been purposely built as a ruin to entertain the monarchs in the 18th Century who played a similar role to the builders of the A.S. Gate. After a couple hundred years you admire these follies for what they are. I have a guest arriving from Edinburgh tomorrow and the Gate and A.S. will be high on my list of things for him to see. Can't get more American than this!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:34 PM

Well for example they were "redesigning the riverfront" here in New Orleans with modernist architecture. The President of the City Council asked why can't the architecture match the feel of what is pre existing in New Orleans from Greek Revival or French/Spanish colonial...

The architect said There is nothing interesting or challenging about replica architecture.

I like the McGate but I'm not sure it is in the right location. They could have built a red brick monument at Atlantic Station near the shops perhaps of some sort or he could have hired someone to build the gate with a combination of classical with a modernist touch (although I hate modernism) if to fit the existing neighborhood better.

I haven't seen it in person yet however so I'll withhold judgement.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
The significant other and I visited the "Gate" on opening day. Alas a private reception kept the public out (that was us as we are not part of the landed gentry of ATL) at the so-called 11 am opening time; we were told to return at 2 p.m. (after a delightful lunch at IKEA) but were not permitted to go to the top (reserved for press and I guess for the gentleman from L.A. Times). Toured the hagiographic exhibit of important Atlantans and relatives of the Gate's donors (rather dull stuff - visit the ATL History Center for the real thing). After serious thought and discussions I think we should just receive it as the folly it is and enjoy showing visitors the latest in Atlanta.
We snuck into the private reception area.... but, yeah, they could have done a much better job addressing the crowd by facing out over the balcony. That probably would have made it more photogenic too: having the arch as the background for the speakers.

I thought the museum was OK. Only noticed 4 or 5 errors and they did a pretty good job of representing important families throughout Atlanta's history. I haven't seen them listed anywhere else, so here you go:
  • Adair - turn of the century (TOC) real estate and first streetcar line
  • Candler
  • Connally-Spalding
  • Dobbs
  • English
  • Glenn - TOC politicians
  • Goddard-Alston - Atlantic Steel founders
  • Haverty
  • Herndon
  • Hurt
  • Mims - politicians including an 1850s mayor
  • Ottley-McCarty - owned the land where Lenox mall is now
  • Randall - the lumber mill folks
  • Rhodes
  • Rich - dept store
  • Robinson - 1st National bank at TOC
  • Russell - the builder
  • Scott - Daily World newspaper
  • Selig-Massell - I didn't realize how close the two families were
  • Woodruff

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 9:14 PM

Went by on Sunday - still not feeling the Arch.

I like the underneath part the best, and the little garden area. I'm thinking eventuall someone is going to get married there - YIKES. (AS still needs some sort of outdoor stage/shell area).

It all feels just a bit stagey. The made up quotes, the made up justications for it being there, even the museum feels a bit "museum in a can - just add water".

I had to keep remembering though that it's actually not finished - which was something I'd forgotten till I went on Sunday and saw it. An integral part of the design are the large statues that surround the legs. So I'm thinking it feels just a little cold and sterile. But if it's "plain" then it's on purpose because I guess the design is suppose to serve as a backdrop for the sculpture.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 12:43 PM

I walked to it yesterday!!! It was pretty neat but I agree with you on that one I'm between that too!!! I still don't know about the whole arch thing either !!! I mean come on its in the middle of Atlanta!!! But isn't there suppose to be a Resturant that is opening up in the top??? And also when is the bottom half suppose to open up??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
Went by on Sunday - still not feeling the Arch.

I like the underneath part the best, and the little garden area. I'm thinking eventuall someone is going to get married there - YIKES. (AS still needs some sort of outdoor stage/shell area).

It all feels just a bit stagey. The made up quotes, the made up justications for it being there, even the museum feels a bit "museum in a can - just add water".

I had to keep remembering though that it's actually not finished - which was something I'd forgotten till I went on Sunday and saw it. An integral part of the design are the large statues that surround the legs. So I'm thinking it feels just a little cold and sterile. But if it's "plain" then it's on purpose because I guess the design is suppose to serve as a backdrop for the sculpture.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 7:39 PM
i ain't no bubba

Rodney Cook, Jr., the $$ behind the arch, had his home featured in Private Quarters in the AJC.

http://projects.ajchomefinder.com/ga...pq2_cook_0714/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 7:51 PM

ha!

ha! he's wearing riding boots in the family portrait.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 4:05 AM

I'm sorry for all the money I'm sure they've thrown into that place, they sure could use a good decorator. It's a bit of a mish-mash and hodge-podge of styles. it's like they've borrowed details from every classical refernce book they could find, but the whole thing just doesn't work.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 5:22 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Thumbs up 7/16/2008 Update

I was out and about and took this shot about an hour ago. I think it might be one of the first night shots ever taken of the Arch (and the first ever posted here).

You know, I gotta admit, it looks great at night.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
I was out and about and took this shot about an hour ago. I think it might be one of the first night shots ever taken of the Arch (and the first ever posted here).

You know, I gotta admit, it looks great at night.
No doubt, it looks good!! (Still dont know why it is there?)
American since 1-20-2009"

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 1:48 PM
i ain't no bubba

It looks much better at night because you can't see the asinine box on the roof!
I hope they still plan on adding the statues at the base. The addition of those (minus the roof box) will make for a handsome addition to an awkward location.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
It looks much better at night because you can't see the asinine box on the roof!
I hope they still plan on adding the statues at the base. The addition of those (minus the roof box) will make for a handsome addition to an awkward location.
I'm excited about the statues -- gonna look great. BTW, if you missed the museum over the 4th weekend, it won't be open again until September.

http://thegateatlanta.com/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 9:26 PM

Quote:
People can call it tacky if they want but in the unlikely event I get an invitation to a party up there, you'd best be believing I will be there!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 6:35 AM

Does anyone know if it will be free to walk up to the top of the Arch? My biggest problem with the Arch is the $10 admission fee to the museum. $10 is an absolute joke!! I went on the 4th and I spent more time crossing the street than I spent in in the museum. I'd compare it to driving down the road and seeing one of those Historical civil War plaques and stopping and paying $10 to read the inscription.

I have no problem with someone spending money to build whatever they want on private property. It will be up to the free market to judge whether people are willing to pay $10 for this, but I'm afraid it will mostly be out of town visitors who will leave feeling they've been taken advantage of and swindled out of $10. If they at least give you the option of walking to the top to get a view of the city without paying $10, then it's worth crossing the street to check it out. Otherwise I'd be embarassed to recommend visiting.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 12:36 PM

Arc d'Tackiness D'Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
People can call it tacky if they want but in the unlikely event I get an invitation to a party up there, you'd best be believing I will be there!

They dont build cheesy tourist traps for nothing........
American since 1-20-2009"

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Rodney Cook, Jr., the $$ behind the arch, had his home featured in Private Quarters in the AJC.

http://projects.ajchomefinder.com/ga...pq2_cook_0714/

What a delightful replication of Highgrove. Excellent setting as well. I feel the decor is probably how one would see in the great homes of England. During the time when many of them were built, travel to "exotic" lands were the norm. They would bring back pieces to add to the collection. In looking at the decor in Mr Cook's home, I am reminded of Blenheim, Chatsworth, Hardwick and Warwick Castle. Not necessarily the estate rooms but rather the family quarters. While it is difficult for Mr. Cook to reproduce (to an exact measure) centeries of collecting like the great families of England, I feel the attempt is duly noted.

As his children inherit the estate, this too shall change.

Oftentimes we are so "Rooms To Go" minded...and this statement is in general and not specific to anyone here...that we looked for that "polished" everything has to match look. For the period in which the great estates of England were built, this was not realistic.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 5:01 PM

Now, I am about to put my taste into question here.

I actually like the arch itself. I feel that the greenhouse at the top is a questionable add on but overall the execution of the construction is sufficent. It's not above grade but it is sufficent nonetheless. I will not feign to be an art expert to my observation is that of a lay person. I find that the arch is a charming diversion from the modern architecture which surrounds it. Once it ages...and we hope that it ages well, it should appear that the arch was there first and the surrounding buildings were built afterwards.

It's like the Carnegie Library Monument at Harris and Peachtree...I think that's Harris. Anyway, it harkens back to an era of architecture that is nothing like it's surroundings. The Suntrust Plaza and that rather non-descript housing tenement offers quite a contrast to it as well. Oddly enough noone sees the same in the Millenium Arch. At any rate, to the untrained eye the arch is nicely done. The surroundings are sufficient for the populace.

I just wished that after thought could have been left off.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 5:43 PM

The way the way too large flag is displayed in the arch is very strange and visually breaks up the arch effect: also I am not even sure it is a "correct" way to display it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
The way the way too large flag is displayed in the arch is very strange and visually breaks up the arch effect: also I am not even sure it is a "correct" way to display it.
On special occasions, the French display a similarly proportioned (i.e.: huge) tricolor beneath the Arc d'Triomph. I like the effect on the Millennium Arch for special occasions like the Fourth of July. And for the record, our free-hanging national ensign is displayed correctly with the field of stars positioned to the north. (If it was hanging vertically against a wall, the field would be positioned to the left.)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 2:24 PM

For this Arch to "suck" so bad it sure is drawing a lot of attention, I guess they did their job. I for one think its awesome and when i have visitors in town thats one of the first things i want to show them. You have to admit that when driving west on 17th with the wall of skyscrapers going up and the arch at the end its pretty cool. Think about if nothing was built there i think that would be a lot less interesting than the arch. The monument is what it is, and accept that. why do atlantans have to criticize everything? We should have a lot more community pride!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta