HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

City College Chinatown Campus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 11:20 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Pulled over from the SF Rundown thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Could this ( http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MN0H1A8PEI.DTL ) be why nothing seems to be happening at the CCSF Chinatown Campus site?
Hmm, could be. Looking at the site yesterday, it's clear they haven't completely pulled the plug. There was a small crew working on odd jobs (sounded like they were restringing power or something) and small equipment can still be found all around. But the next major step -- foundation work -- is clearly not starting yet.

If bidding irregularities are part of the audit, it's very possible they can't finalize the construction contract right now even if the project is not otherwise on hold. One thing is sure, they have had some serious procedural breakdowns in the construction of other projects. So, it would stand to reason that they would want to get that in order before starting another one.

Here's the Chronicle article for anyone who doesn't want to follow the link above:

Quote:
Audit critical of CCSF's bond money spending
Nanette Asimov, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, October 22, 2009

Millions of dollars in cost overruns have halted the construction of a stem cell training center and a performing arts building at City College of San Francisco, according to an audit critical of how the school has handled voter-approved bond money.

More than $12.5 million has already been spent on the stalled arts center, and nearly $1.2 million on the stem cell building - with no plans to complete them because the money has run out, says the state-mandated audit of two bond measures for capital improvements at City College.

The audit also points to bidding irregularities and reveals that nearly $40 million in contract changes were never approved by the trustees, as required by law, or were approved after the fact.

One bond measure, passed in 2001, was for $195 million. The other was a $246 million bond approved in 2005.

The audit covered a one-year period that ended in June 2008, when college facilities were run by Associate Vice Chancellor James Blomquist, who has been on paid leave since early July due to an unrelated criminal charge.

City College trustees were expected to decide in closed session tonight whether to fire Blomquist, The Chronicle has learned.

The trustees would not discuss the personnel decision, but acknowledged that costs soared in the department he managed.

It would cost an additional $49 million to complete projects authorized in the 2001 bond alone, City College officials told the auditors.

Trustee: Waste of millions

Oversight of the bond money "seems at best sloppy - but it's wasting potentially millions of dollars of taxpayers' money," said trustee John Rizzo, chairman of the facilities committee, referring to the cost overruns.

Rizzo said the staff often asked the board to shift money from the stem cell center in particular to cover the rising costs of other building projects. The $120 million arts center and $68 million stem cell center were supposed to be built at the main college campus on Phelan Avenue but are on indefinite hold.

The report blames those overruns on inflation, but Rizzo said he was never satisfied with that.

"My opinion is that it was inadequate control," he said. "They didn't do a good job of managing the projects and planning, which the audit shows."

The trustees plan to discuss the audit in the public portion of tonight's meeting.

The bond money has been used for building renovation, new campuses in the Mission and North Beach/Chinatown, and other capital improvements.

The auditors found numerous examples of sloppy practices, improper notifications, and poor tracking of contracts and compliance.

They discovered that in the 2007-08 fiscal year, the college twice skirted a state law requiring competitive bidding by handing out jobs to preferred contractors.

They also looked at 46 change orders by the facilities department in which original contracts were augmented by a total of $89 million to address unforeseen needs.

Change orders

State law requires board approval for each change order, but the facilities department executed nearly $26 million in change orders before going to the board, the auditors found. An additional $13.5 million in change orders were never approved. And nearly $918,000 in changes were attached to contracts approved for lesser amounts.

Attorney Tony Brass, who represents Blomquist in the criminal case, said the review essentially accuses Blomquist's department of not dealing well with bureaucracy.

"That may or may not be true," Brass said. "But he was very good at dealing with the business of building, which is what he was brought in to do."

Peter Goldstein, vice chancellor of finance and administration, said the college has accepted the audit's findings "and are moving with as much speed as possible to implement all of their recommendations."

Several have already been implemented, including staff training and ensuring that contracts are competitively bid, he told the auditors.

"Things have changed," said trustee Rizzo. "There's a willingness to look into this and try to fix it where before there wasn't."

Blomquist was charged on July 8 with one felony count of taking a $10,000 lease payment meant for the college and instead contributing it to the campaign for the 2005 bond measure that would benefit school facilities.

He pleaded not guilty, as did his co-defendants, former City College Chancellor Philip Day, who faces eight felony charges of misusing taxpayer money, and administrative services officer Stephen Herman, who was charged with seven felonies for allegedly helping Day misappropriate funds.

Day left City College in 2008. Herman is on paid leave.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 8:15 PM
Only Mostly Dead

It's now been three months since any noticeable work has been done. It's safe to say that for one reason or another this is on hold. At least the new school next door has some activity. There were a couple of workmen there earlier this week getting the site ready. There's a sign with rendering:

If I hear anything about the City College building getting underway again I'll head back over there. Until then, this thread can prepare itself for a long winter's nap.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 8:21 AM

I came across this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pbo31/4398997716/sizes/l/) photo by pbo31 while browsing flickr. I thought that this project was stalled but it looks as if it is moving forward. Anyone have an update? I rarely make to North Beach/Chinatown.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 1:23 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Interesting. It would be the first sign of new activity in months. I'll check it out next week.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Interesting. It would be the first sign of new activity in months. I'll check it out next week.
Ok, I figured it out. It isn't the City College building but the St. Mary's Chinese School at 838 Kearny.

Here's the webcam:

http://stmaryschinese.org/webcam.htm

At least it's one more step toward filling in that long vacant block.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 7:21 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Surprise, surprise, this thing is back in action. In fact, it's officially under construction. There's a concrete pumping crane in the middle of the site and loads of rebar being assembled at the bottom of the now-completed hole. Also, the school next door has steel framing up to the second floor. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me today. I'll bring it next week and post photos.

Suddenly there is a lot of action on this corner and I'll be able to keep up with it pretty easily as my company is moving to offices at Sansome and Clay. I'm a little bummed I won't have a front row seat for Transbay, but overall I like the location better.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 7:30 PM

Great news!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
the school next door has steel framing up to the second floor. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me today. I'll bring it next week and post photos.
The school construction webcam link just above your post works pretty well.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 8:16 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Can't view it from where I am at the moment. Can you see the City College site too?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 8:25 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Nevermind, got it working on my laptop. You can't really see what's happening on the City College building, but you can see a yellow crane in the upper right corner. That is dropping material into the CC hole.

Also meant to note before that nothing is happening at the moment on the smaller site down Washington.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:28 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Moved into my new digs today, making this a much shorter walk. They were pouring concrete:

Here's some of the rebar I mentioned before:

If you cram them in a small enough space, two small buildings can look like something bigger:

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 5:42 AM
Only Mostly Dead

About 7 weeks later and work continues on the subterranean levels:

Behind it, St. Mary's is shaping up:

Work on the smaller annex down the street is getting underway as well:

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 4:50 PM

Take by me from the Hyatt Grand rooftop restaurant, Grand View:

Peekaboo, I see you.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 9:51 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
Take by me from the Hyatt Grand rooftop restaurant, Grand View:

Peekaboo, I see you.
I had to look for about a minute to find the construction site

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 10:04 PM
Get me out of here

Where is it? I can't find it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 7:07 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Cool shot, CityKid. Back in town for a bit?

brant - it's just to the right and down from dead-center. There's a 4-story building under construction with a yellow and black wall. That's the new St. Mary's Chinese school. Just in front of that is the City College site. You can see the rebar columns and concrete boom rising out of it.

Last edited by peanut gallery; Aug 6, 2010 at 7:02 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 7:10 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Today:

This is the smaller annex down the street:

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Cool shot, CityKid. Back in town for a bit?
OT, but yes, I was in town for a bit. I left the day you left the comment, but I'll be back in SF again soon for another visit.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 9:11 PM
Sonoma Strong

the webcam shows this at about the same height as the school next door now.

webcam: http://www.ccsf.edu/NEW/en/our-campu...nblivecam.html

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
the webcam shows this at about the same height as the school next door now.

webcam: http://www.ccsf.edu/NEW/en/our-campu...nblivecam.html
Slowest construction project ever? (Other than my next door neighbor's home remodel)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive