HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 12:30 AM
be nice to the crackheads

How can some people look at these pictures, and have a negative view of the content?

What I see is a bustling street in the city centre filled with a diverse group of people; beautiful girls, artists of all types, interesting shops etc. Don't we always look to Europe and Asia, and wish we could have their well-used urban centres? And when there's photographical evidence of people doing just that here in NA, and it gets labeled as a hipster apocalypse.

And it's not just this thread. I've seen others where just because the people are your fixie bike-riding, banjo-playing, rolled cigarette-smoking twenty and thirty somethings, it's not a legitimate 'thing'.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:59 AM
Aimless Wanderer

^ Agreed.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 3:41 AM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^^ Hear hear!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 10:49 AM

Shiiit - that´s great. Wanna go there and soak up some cool 70´s vibes! Thaaanx.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 2:20 PM

I've been going to Kensington Market since I was 16 (and I am now in my 50's). It's always been an interesting cultural mix in a continuing state of flux. Now we are fighting off Walmart and Starbucks' invasion of this multi-generational survivor. Who will win? I personally hope that future generations will be doing their version of this boho-dance for decades to come. And I will try not to be intimidated by it. As always, thanks for the great shots, flar!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirrrl View Post
I've been going to Kensington Market since I was 16 (and I am now in my 50's). It's always been an interesting cultural mix in a continuing state of flux. Now we are fighting off Walmart and Starbucks' invasion of this multi-generational survivor. Who will win? I personally hope that future generations will be doing their version of this boho-dance for decades to come. And I will try not to be intimidated by it. As always, thanks for the great shots, flar!
I was shocked and appalled when I heard Wal Mart wants to move in. I hope the proposal is rejected.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 5:39 PM
Aimless Wanderer

The Walmart proposal is for an urban format 3 storey building with underground parking on the West side of Bathurst street between College and Dundas. So it would be near Kensington, but certainly not within it.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 7:37 PM
Red October standing by

awesomeness

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 11:59 PM

Despite mr.John's retarded post, I found this thread enjoyable. Thanks for posting, Flar.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 1:05 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
How can some people look at these pictures, and have a negative view of the content?

What I see is a bustling street in the city centre filled with a diverse group of people; beautiful girls, artists of all types, interesting shops etc. Don't we always look to Europe and Asia, and wish we could have their well-used urban centres? And when there's photographical evidence of people doing just that here in NA, and it gets labeled as a hipster apocalypse.

And it's not just this thread. I've seen others where just because the people are your fixie bike-riding, banjo-playing, rolled cigarette-smoking twenty and thirty somethings, it's not a legitimate 'thing'.
I can't help but feel that the average age of SSP forumers is getting older... and more curmudgeony too.

Great photos Flar, definitely some good looking girls in there.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 2:10 AM

I see in #21 you spotted Crispin Glover doing what he does best; being odd.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 5:58 AM

This is my favourite part of Toronto. You captured it well.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 11:19 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I can't help but feel that the average age of SSP forumers is getting older... and more curmudgeony too.

Great photos Flar, definitely some good looking girls in there.
I echo both of these sentiments. Nowadays, forumers seem to be older, less cool, more suburban, and more whiney. Everything is feared and labeled "hipster" (which isn't even some fringe subculture - it is perfectly mainstream, and has been for some time now), and thus illegitimate or mocked. I mean, alot of people on here were always more...uh...socially awkward (judging from the comments and photos I see here), but it appears to be that people are more complain-y and judgmental, too. Is that what happens when people stay cooped up in the burbs, working some boring job they don't want, getting fat, never having sex, traveling, eating good food, doing anything fun, etc.? Of course, I am mostly joking, but I suppose for some forumers, the irrational hatred towards anything youth-related possibly stems from the aforementioned.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Is that what happens when people stay cooped up in the burbs, working some boring job they don't want, getting fat, never having sex, traveling, eating good food, doing anything fun, etc.? Of course, I am mostly joking, but I suppose for some forumers, the irrational hatred towards anything youth-related possibly stems from the aforementioned.
This is exactly my problem. These are the same talking points I hear from all these d-bags at school as soon as you tell them to switch up the music from some indie band when you're at a party. Or they see you drinking Busch instead of whatever $20 six-pack they bought. The hypocrisy of criticizing you for falling into mainstream, corporate, suburban culture when they're doing the exact same thing. I'll take juiced-up frat boys over that crowd any day.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 7:09 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
use center tags

I'd go through this ordeal again.
Looked like a nice a party.

My Book

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 7:16 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Don't worry, as a youngster, I find the whole scene just as unnappealing.

Your photo threads are still the best, I just hope you didn't find yourself unexpectedly purchasing a fedora or something.
What's wrong with fedora's? Seriously? Thats a boss style of hat. Now if the top hat started making a serious comeback Id be scared. And dont even think about hating on flat/golfer caps.

My Book

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 8:40 PM

There's no reason to fall into stereotypes and this type of discussion is never fun to have.

Great shots flar, you certainly captured the colorful flavor of the market quite well.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 10:07 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Agreed M.R., sorry I made my initial comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
What's wrong with fedora's? Seriously? Thats a boss style of hat. Now if the top hat started making a serious comeback Id be scared. And dont even think about hating on flat/golfer caps.

Watch that kind of talk joe

hunt3 by exithacan, on Flickr

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 3:57 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

chicks maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

yes.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 7:09 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
^ Agreed M.R., sorry I made my initial comment.

Watch that kind of talk joe

hunt3 by exithacan, on Flickr
Thank you for helping me prove my point without a doubt.

My Book

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos