HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 9:47 PM

The Collective on 4th (4th and Harrison) | 175' | 15 floors | Complete

-----------------------------------------------------

From this week's list of land use intakes:

Quote:
PROPOSED PROJECT WILL BE A MIXED DEVELOPMENT WITH RETAIL GROUND LEVEL AND 13-15 STORIES OF RESIDENTIAL APARTMENTS ABOVE. CURRENT PLANS ARE FOR A GROCER TO OCCUPY THE ENTIRE GROUND FLOOR AND THE RESIDENTIAL TO BE A MIX OF PRIMARILY STUDENT HOUSING FOR PSU AND MARKET RATE APARTMENTS.
Site is 325 SW Harrison St (beside the Cyan). Applicant is Core Campus LLC. Their work seems to be pretty flashy, for better or worse.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Dec 10, 2016 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 7:24 PM

SW 4th and Harrison (formerly HUB) | 175' | 15 floors | Proposed

Surprised this didn't get some comments when I mentioned it in the Downtown thread.

From this week's list of land use intakes:

Quote:
PROPOSED PROJECT WILL BE A MIXED DEVELOPMENT WITH RETAIL GROUND LEVEL AND 13-15 STORIES OF RESIDENTIAL APARTMENTS ABOVE. CURRENT PLANS ARE FOR A GROCER TO OCCUPY THE ENTIRE GROUND FLOOR AND THE RESIDENTIAL TO BE A MIX OF PRIMARILY STUDENT HOUSING FOR PSU AND MARKET RATE APARTMENTS.
Site is 325 SW Harrison St, which is owned by the Goodmans. The site is beside the Cyan, and has a 175' height limit. FAR is 6:1, bonusable to 9:1. At 16 stories, this project would be roughly the same height as the Cyan.

Applicant is Chicago-based Core Campus LLC. Their work seems to be pretty flashy, and targets the high end of the student housing market. Their completed projects include amenities like swimming pools, gyms, tanning beds, steam rooms and sand volleyball courts. (Click through to the website if you want to see lots of building renders, populated by extremely good looking people of both sexes wearing next to nothing). Unit sizes range from studios to 5 bedrooms, with each bedroom leased individually.

They have a building under construction in Eugene to serve the University of Oregon. Here's a marketing video for it:

Video Link

Last edited by maccoinnich; Oct 14, 2014 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
They have a building under construction in Eugene to serve the University of Oregon. Here's a marketing video for it:

Video Link
That place looks ridiculously excessive! Hot tubs on the balcony, beach volleyball, table tennis courts, infinity pool, etc. It's basically MTV's Real World set.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
That place looks ridiculously excessive! Hot tubs on the balcony, beach volleyball, table tennis courts, infinity pool, etc. It's basically MTV's Real World set.
It's UofO. Oregon gets whatever it wants. Looks awesome, though.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
No kidding. It's a far cry from the accommodation I lived in as a student.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Oct 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:06 PM

Grocery store there is long overdue, but there goes my view!

Not sure I want to be around even more college kids, so maybe as this rises, time to sell and move out !

Good I fill project even if it is bad for me personally.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 10:29 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
No kidding. It's a far cry from the accommodation I lived in as a student.
Yeah, student accommodations seem to be getting more and more upscale. I think that most of the 'features' this company includes in their projects would be essentially unused in our climate, however. Open-air pools, rooftop decks, sand volleyball decks... school lasts from October through June; with the average temperature of winter being what, 40 degrees F? And around 10 hours of overcast skies? Lol...

On the other hand, having more housing around PSU is an absolute must, as it means that many fewer wealthier students driving their BMWs and Maseratis in from Lake Oswego, Beaverton and Hillsboro!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 12:46 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Grocery store there is long overdue, but there goes my view!

Not sure I want to be around even more college kids, so maybe as this rises, time to sell and move out !

Good I fill project even if it is bad for me personally.
That is how I felt, I was living at the south end of the Park Blocks. I loved my place and the location, but each year I got older and everyone in my neighborhood stayed the same age. You can only handle being around college students for so long, especially if you are no longer in college.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 7:42 PM

This week's list of land use intakes is a quiet one, but it has this update on the Hub on Campus project:

Quote:
Pre-Application Conference to discuss Type III Design Review for a proposed 13-15 story mixed-use development with a retail grocery store at the ground level and residential units above. Approximately 97 below-grade parking spaces are also proposed.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:27 PM

DAR report

looks like University Point in massing...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD View Post
DAR report

looks like University Point in massing...
That's too bad. As University Point shows, buildings that tall in a U-shaped plan can be pretty oppressive. Under the current zoning, this site has a 175' max height, so if they want to max out the FAR, they kind of have to fill the block. Under the proposed changes to the Comp plan, this site would have a 250' limit, which might allow for a taller more slender building.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:08 AM

So I came across this PDC study from 2011 titled 'Central City Grocery Market Analysis'. It looked into the viability of grocery stores at 4 locations: SW 4th & Harrison, Riverplace Parcel 8, SE 10th & Belmont* and South Waterfront. Of those four, only 4th & Harrison was seen as viable. Here's the summary for 4th & Harrison:

Quote:
PSU / 4th & Harrison Site

The market area for PSU is similar to that of the RiverPlace and OHSU-ZRZ sites, but does not extend as far south. It is roughly bounded by Clay Street to the north, the Willamette River to the east, Bancroft Street to the south and 16th Avenue/Barbur Boulevard to the west.

Target Markets
As of 2010, the PSU Market Area contained 11,757 residents in 6,271 households. Population growth was strong over the last decade at an average of 3.7 percent per year. The pace of growth is expected to slow somewhat through 2015, although remaining healthy at an average of 2.1 percent annually. Like the RiverPlace/OHSU-ZRZ Market Area, the PSU Market Area has small household sizes (average of 1.5 persons) and modest incomes (median of $42,706). Educational attainment is high – nearly two-thirds of the population age 25 or older holds a Bachelor degree or higher.

Over 21,000 employees work within the PSU Market Area. The largest shares work in health services (29 percent), other services (19 percent) and finance/insurance/real estate (16 percent).6 PSU students will be an additional target market for grocery development in this area. PSU anticipates enrollment will grow by 7 percent by 2019, from 25,647 students to 27,400.

Recent and Anticipated New Development
Appendix B provides an overview of recent and planned development (excluding South Waterfront) in the PSU Market Area. Since 2005, seventeen new projects have added housing units to accommodate 2,522 new residents and commercial space for nearly 2,000 new employees. Over the next five years, space for another 2,238 residents and 3,150 retail and office workers is planned or proposed.

Potential Grocery Demand
Marketek estimated grocery demand based on existing and future resident and employee spending in the PSU Market Area. A comparison of existing grocery spending potential (demand) and current grocery sales (supply), indicate sales leakage of $28.5 million out of the market area. This amount translates to potential demand for 73,122 square feet of grocery store space (see Appendix C).

Future support for new store space generated by market area household and employee growth totals 12,809 square feet (10,901 SF supported by residential growth and 2,781 SF supported by employment growth. In total, there is potential for 85,931 square feet of new store space in the PSU Market Area over the next five years.

Potential Site Capture
PSU has potential to capture up to 35 percent of market area demand over the next five years, which translates to 30,075 square feet by 2016.
The report then asks various grocery operators of their opinions on the various site. On the 4th & Harrison site:

Quote:
John Attar, Owner/Operator Barbur World Foods:

• Interested in site
• Concerned about parking
• Would explore a two-story store at this location

Rick Wright, President & CEO Market of Choice:

• Very interested in site; the customer base is Market of Choice’s target market
• Has looked at the site before and would consider a 30,000 SF store
• Primary objection/concern is how to deal with parking; absolute minimum need is 2-3 spaces per 1,000 SF
• Parking structure may make a store cost prohibitive

Don Forrest, Director of Development New Seasons:

• Excellent underserved dense consumer market
• Very interested in this location

John Kellogg, Real Estate Broker for Whole Foods Commercial Realty Advisors:

• Attractive location
• Level of activity in vicinity is a plus
• Strong population
• Very concerned about truck access
• Plans to make SW Montgomery Street a non vehicular ‘green street’ further limit truck and auto access
Three years later, there's now a 30,000 sq ft grocery store proposed for this site. I'm calling it first as the next New Seasons: it's about the right size; they were enthusiastic about it this site in 2011; they're in expansion mode; and it wouldn't compete with any of their existing or planned stores.

* As an aside, SE 10th & Belmont is the goat blocks site. None of the grocers asked considered it a viable location, and yet the goat blocks development will have a large grocery store in it. Presumably someone thinks it's viable.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 6:51 AM

We dissected that report in my upper level planning course, and after our discussion and reports, we concluded that the traffic disruptions at 4th & Harrison would make it too difficult for a market. Not that our course has any influence on this project, but it'll be interesting to see the logic in this choice as the project develops.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
We dissected that report in my upper level planning course, and after our discussion and reports, we concluded that the traffic disruptions at 4th & Harrison would make it too difficult for a market. Not that our course has any influence on this project, but it'll be interesting to see the logic in this choice as the project develops.
That's actually super interesting. With the street car cutting across both ways, it's already a bit of a zoo during rush hour. I can't imagine 50 cars going in and out of a parking garage below.

I'm a YIMBY type guy, so even though it will block my view and likely make me move out of here long term, I'll vote for/support it.

But I imagine traffic will get nasty indeed.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:26 AM

The Design Advice documents don't state whether the parking is intended for residents or the grocery store, but it looks like it might be the former. The vertical circulation doesn't look like it's set up to allow access from the garage to the store. But would a grocer in the US really lease a space with no customer parking?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
That's actually super interesting. With the street car cutting across both ways, it's already a bit of a zoo during rush hour. I can't imagine 50 cars going in and out of a parking garage below.

I'm a YIMBY type guy, so even though it will block my view and likely make me move out of here long term, I'll vote for/support it.

But I imagine traffic will get nasty indeed.
Our conclusion didn't so much have to do with customer or resident traffic, but it was based on the turning radii and ease of access by the supply trucks and delivery vans. Any kind of tractor-trailer needing to unload would completely block traffic on either 4th or Harrison (at least based on a site visit).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:15 AM

Genuinely curious: how would the loading be any worse compared to the Safeway in the Pearl whose loading bay is on NW 14th? Or compared to the Jefferson Safeway, whose loading bay is on SW 11th?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 11:54 AM

Although I work two blocks away and see the traffic on 4th every day, I think the truck traffic to a market could be accommodated in the early, early morning fairly easily and on the weekends. I would definitely shop here to pick things up on the way home and I never drive to work. I suspect other office workers would too. PSU students would probably appreciate another choice than the Safeway, which I detest.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:29 PM

I live close to here and there is so much foot traffic in the area, it pains me to see parking such a large part of the comments being made. New Seasons inspires me since they lack a solid downtown market (so far) and would be welcome. It was nice that they did not comment about parking.

As for trucks, there are many creative ways to handle this. Maybe they would require shorter trucks to service the grocer? Maybe access from Harrison would be the way to handle it?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 1:38 AM

Design Advice Posting Notice [PDF, small]. It has a small image. It kind of looks like the architect couldn't decide on a facade treatment, and thought "to hell with it; let's go for every idea I've ever had."

Quote:
A Design Advice Request is a voluntary review process that allows the Commission to provide early feedback on a development proposal, prior to the required land use review. The applicant seeks Design Advice for a potential 15-story, mixed-use building in the Central City and South Auditorium Plan Districts. The proposed building at the northeast corner of SW 4th and Harrison, would include approximately 30,000 SF of retail (potential grocer) at the ground level and residential units, primarily for student housing, on the upper floors. Loading and parking garage access are currently proposed at the northwest corner of the building off of SW 4th Avenue. The garage would provide approximately 192 parking spaces in two underground levels for both proposed commercial and residential uses. A central exterior courtyard would be located at the 2nd level creating a u-shaped tower with the opening along SW 4th. Additional outdoor amenities are proposed atop the 15th floor along with a greenroof. Potential Modifications to building setbacks and loading development standards have been identified.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland