HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 11:27 PM

⬆ I enjoy that show..

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 11:51 PM

Welcome, check out the NW section for apartments, Capital Property Management and KBC Management are good ones to start with. The NW is the most vibrant and walkable residential area with the best access to public transit. From here, you can explore the rest of the city.

The California bashing gets old. It definately has it's faults but a lot of wonderful things as well. I think Portland attracts very cool Californians who appreciate our ethos. The real scary ones continue on up I-5 hee hee.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 4:30 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Ahh it never gets old ask 007!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 12:43 AM

Good rental references sopdx, anymore?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 2:22 AM

I might move there sometime, too, within the next few years or so.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 3:58 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Craigslist for rentals in the city. Period. Nothing else gets close to the variety and timeliness of openings... sometimes you only have a few hours before an apartment gets snatched up. But you gotta get to know your neighborhoods...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 4:26 AM
Bears of antiquity

Take a city tour... ride the number 17 bus in both directions, the blue line max to both ends, the number 14, and the number 19.

Get off every few stops, explore for a half hour, ride the bus further.

It'll take a few days, but you'll get a good feel for the city pretty quickly

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 3:27 PM

Cheers to your move to Portland!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 1:59 AM

Thanks everyone. Just so ya guys know, an update on the job situation, looks like I may be starting a new job next week that is in my field of expertise that relates to my degree.

If so, it'll be the quickest I've ever picked up a job like this in any market I've lived in.

Looks like the Portland job market problem is a myth.. LOL

In reality I think it has to do with my expertise. I'm in the field of Help Desk services and Database Support. Where I grew up in Nashville, its primarily manufacturing, warehousing, health administrative companies, with country and christian recording industry (that alone is a multi-multi-multi billion industry down there). None of those industries are remotely what I'm looking to get into, but Portland has technical services for the information age economy as one of its main backbones. I just fit in here in more ways than one.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 2:02 AM
Posh

^
Congratulations! Hope it works out for you.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 2:07 AM

It'll work out.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 3:57 AM

Congrats!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 12:39 AM

Congrats on the move to Portland! Even though I can't see myself ever leaving Chicago, if I did the Pacific Northwest would probably be my #1 choice of where to relocate (well tied with NYC, lol). Enjoy! (I'm sure you will)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 1:37 AM
Green Giant

After reading your original post, it sounds like you move frequently and never let the grass grow beneath your feet. I hope things change for you here.....give it two years (to experience all the area has to offer) and you will be hooked!!!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 3:27 AM

Its not all my choice, I've had some extraordinary circumstances surround the hops and jumps for the most part. I decided not to go back to Chicago due to the fact it was my second try and I wasn't about to play "3rd times the charm" with a major life move.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 8:45 AM

Alright, I'm fairly settled now. I'm wondering if anyone wants to do a tour of the city someday. I went to Seattle on Friday for the first time in my life. Unfortunately it was a short afternoon trip, but I still got to see a good bit. There's still a LOT to Portland I need to explore, although I've been all over the west side of the Williamette. I hear there's plenty city on the east.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 4:15 PM
passion for patterns

i think most of the city is on the east, at least the 'cool' parts.

what baffles me is how you previously couldn't get a helpdesk job, as there are jobs like that in every city, even small ones. in new york, when i put my resume up on monster, i would get emails every day for all kinds of things, and often they were helpdesk kind of stuff (which i would never do.)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 7:28 AM

Things are more complicated than they seem. I don't have a wonderful job that is the career path for the rest of my life, but its certainly something I can work with in the mean time to build on long term goals. I'm rather impressed that you even remember me talking about my previous employment issues. I am not in help desk per se, its technical support oriented more than help desk.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 5:20 PM

Oregon towns

I would like to hear you Oregonians give some info. on Oregon's cities and towns in this thread. I know a lot about Portland but nothing about the other towns within the state. Also, I was just accepted to graduate school at The University of Oregon, so I'd like to hear any comments about life in Eugene if possible, before I make my decision. Possible conversation starters... East Oregon compared to West Oregon (I have my ideas), North Oregon compared to South Oregon, Coastal Oregon compared to Desert Oregon, liberal towns (which ones?) conservative towns (which ones?) ummmm... yea, I think this could be a fun thread if EVERYBODY participates!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 6:10 PM
zzzzzzzz

Congrats on getting in to U of O!

Quote:
...EVERYBODY participates!
Does that count as my participation? I haven't been to any towns outside the Portland area, except passing through on my move up here. Oh, but speaking of Oregon towns, This thread was just posted in the city photo section.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion