HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:02 PM
BANNED

Edmonton points of interest

Did you know:

Another prominent rivalry exists between the major universities in each city, notably the University of Alberta, in Edmonton, and the University of Calgary. This dates back to the early 20th century, when Calgarians were put off by the building of the University of Alberta in Edmonton in 1908. As the story goes, the location of the university was to be decided along the same lines as that of Saskatchewan. (The province of Saskatchewan shares the same founding date as Alberta, 1905.) Saskatchewan had to please two competing cities when deciding the location of its capital city and provincial university. Thus, Regina was designated the provincial capital and Saskatoon received the provincial university, the University of Saskatchewan. The same heated wrangling over the location of the provincial capital also took place in Alberta between the cities of Calgary and Edmonton. In the end, Edmonton was designated as the capital of Alberta. A city south of Edmonton did end up with the provincial university. However, it was not Calgary. Instead, the city of Strathcona, located south across the river from Edmonton, received the provincial university. The municipalities of Edmonton and Strathcona were later amalgamated in 1912 into what is now known as the city of Edmonton. To this day, Calgarians feel frustrated by this political sleight of hand.([1]) Calgary was not granted a university until 1966. Competitions between the two universities have taken place over who has possession of a painted rock. The University of Alberta has consistently ranked much higher than the University of Calgary in all national and international rankings of Universities.

souirce: wiki (the answers for all life's questions)

What does EVERYONE think of this?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:09 PM
Change is good

The University of Alberta is something that all of Alberta can be proud of. It is located in the education/health/nano tech capital of Canada.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:44 PM

Yes. It is an excellent school. Bravo, Alberta.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:45 PM
Derp

U of A = University of Awesome

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 7:50 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Did you know that the U of S actually almost went to Regina? It would of course been a politically charged move. Saskatoon, aside from Regina had some stiff competition....Prince Albert, Moose Jaw and the Battlefords were competing. Instead Prince ALbert got the jails....bet they wish they had the universities.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:12 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Did you know that the U of S actually almost went to Regina? It would of course been a politically charged move. Saskatoon, aside from Regina had some stiff competition....Prince Albert, Moose Jaw and the Battlefords were competing. Instead Prince ALbert got the jails....bet they wish they had the universities.
Hrmmm... I thought I clicked on a thread called "Edmonton points of interest"

my bad....

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:08 AM

As a Calgarian I've never felt the same sense of rivalry between the universities as I always felt between the pro sports franchises. I guess I would cheer for the Dinos over the G.Bears, but Canada isn't really a university-cheering type of nation for the mostpart anyway.

I've never been to the U of A campus, but would love to as all I ever hear are good things about it, which makes me proud as an Albertan. The U of C campus (at least when I would go there back in the 80's) was always ugly to me and a bit depressing. I think the Olympics spruced it up a bit since then. Anyway, No jelousy from this guy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton