HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Hey now... not every airport authority can afford Photoshop. Some of us have t get by with MS Paint.
LOL their Bilboards around the city are a much better illustration than that map. and they better give up this strike business soon because I have a trip to NYC coming up and I don't want any delays

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:11 PM

PAL has announced it will start (Oct 1st) a 3 day a week passenger services to Wabush from Charlo and back. It will be a stop on the route as the flight will originate from Halifax and make a stop at Charlo. This is a trial that will last 3 months.

And in other news, Pascan aviation should make an announcment Wednesday that they will desserve the Bathurst airport with flights to Wabush, they would have the exclusive rights to the destination with the airport. This would be the second airline to desserve the Bathurst airport and a second destination for the airport. It is unknown at this time if the flight will origninate from Bathurst or will be a stop along the way.

IMO, the Pascan flight has better chances to be long term than the PAL one.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So strange how disconnected we are from Labrador. I know nothing of the work patterns between Labrador and the Maritimes, or why any flights between the two would be necessary.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:35 PM

Those will be flights for the workers of the minning projects in Wabush.. with the closing of the Brunswick mines here in march, there is a lot of skilled trade workers who will be out of work and there is already a steady stream of workers flying over there but with no direct flight, it takes them roughtly a day. With a direct flight, a little over an hour.

From what I gather from the folks around here, the majority of the workers that will be laid off will seek employmeny outside the region but will not move. they will do the infamous 28 days at work, 14 days at home or something simillar.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:09 PM

Updated route map from the Halifax Stanfield's SOAR Halifax magazine (page 61).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 3:20 PM

Wabush - Bathurst

Confirmed today, Pascan aviation will take this route 5 times a week from the Bathurst airport. Flight to leave at 6:30 in the morning and come back at 18:40 the same day. Everything should start on the 5th of November.

Second airline and Second destination for the airport!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 3:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Halifax has more than twice the direct flights of St. John's - including four to Europe (we only have the one).

Very impressive, especially since Air Canada offers very few direct flights from Atlantic Canada anywhere west of Toronto.

And congrats to Bathurst. I hope employment opportunities in Labrador help alleviate some of the impacts of the difficulties right now in northern N.B.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 6:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't have any fancy maps like Signal or q12, but here is the list of destinations available from the GMIA (YQM) Moncton.

Domestic:

- Halifax (Air Canada)
- Montreal (Air Canada)
- Ottawa (Air Canada, Porter)
- Toronto (Air Canada, Porter, WestJet)
- Hamilton (WestJet) seasonal

Trans Border:

- Newark (United)
- Orlando (WestJet, Sunwing) seasonal

International:

- Punta Cana (Sunwing, Air Transat) seasonal
- Varadero (Sunwing, Air Transat) seasonal
- Montego Bay (Sunwing) seasonal
- Cancun (WestJet, Air Transat) seasonal

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 7:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't have any fancy maps like Signal or q12, but here is the list of destinations available from the GMIA (YQM) Moncton.
Hahaha... well, Halifax's map is fancy at least.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:38 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

There you go!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's not complete!

Cancun isn't on there....

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 10:30 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 12:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks Myles.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 1:26 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Sydney's pitiful list...

Air Canada
Halifax (6 times daily)
Toronto (daily seasonal)

Westjet
Toronto (daily seasonal)

Air Ste Pierre
Saint Pierre et Miquelon (seasonal twice per week)

Charters
Canadian North
Provincial Airlines
Maritime Air Charters
Atlantic Charters
Skylink Express (cargo)

And to show the effect competition has had at the airport, in 2005 when Air Canada had their monopoly 91,709 used the airport. 5 years later (the second year Westjet started seasonal service) it was 137,946.
Source Last year it was 139,000.

Westjet's effect vs Sunwing's
2005 (AC only) 91709
2006 (AC, Sunwing seasonal Toronto and vacation Holguin) 99819
2007 (AC, Sunwing seasonal Toronto and vacation Holguin) 105699
2008 (AC, Sunwing seasonal Toronto and vacation Holguin) 110709
2009 (AC, Westjet seasonal Toronto, Sunwing service stopped) 120898
2010 (AC, Westjet seasonal Toronto) 137946
2011 (AC, Westjet seasonal Toronto) ~139000

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 3:04 AM
ハルウララ

That's impressive growth for Sydney! You should get mmmatt to add Sydney to the graph of airport traffic in the Statistics thread as it's only 70K off of Saint John.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 9:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Looks good for Sydney to me as well.

Six daily flights to Halifax? Seriously? That's cool.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 10:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Looks good for Sydney to me as well.

Six daily flights to Halifax? Seriously? That's cool.
Six flights daily to Halifax and essentially no flights anywhere else at all. The other destinations are all seasonal.

It's the "hub & spoke system" run amok. To get anywhere else in the world, you have to transfer at Halifax Stanfield.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 10:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It'll probably change eventually. I remember having to touch down in Halifax on a lot of flights out of St. John's, even to Europe, until relatively recently (say, within the last 10 years).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:30 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Six flights daily to Halifax and essentially no flights anywhere else at all. The other destinations are all seasonal.

It's the "hub & spoke system" run amok. To get anywhere else in the world, you have to transfer at Halifax Stanfield.
Precisely. And since this is how it works through the season where Air Canada still retains their monopoly, their prices go up and it's more cost effective to fly in/out of Halifax, rent a car for the week, and drive to/from Halifax for your flights (5 hours each way). How do I know? i did this exact thing last Christmas. Hopefully Westjet will bring their regional service into Sydney to offer year-round competition. I know from their past comments to the business community that this is on their radar, but there's been nothing close to a firm commitment or even a strong hint that this will happen...

...yet.

If it wasn't for the airport authority actively attracting airlines to increase competition, JA Douglas McCurdy Airport would have gone the way of Yarmouth Airport. Air Canada was pricing themselves out of the market.

I broke my rule and flew with Air Canada this summer...huge mistake! I had window seats pre-booked and confirmed for every leg of the flight (5 in total there and back)...I got 2. Every single flight was delayed...both ways...and sadly this is not an exaggeration (I wish it was). Not to mention the flight that was leaving Sydney to Toronto was fully booked, but AC decided to fly a smaller jet from Toronto to Sydney anyway, meaning that not everybody could get on the flight to Toronto despite having confirmed reservations beforehand. I was lucky and got on the flight to Toronto, those who didn't had to wait 6 hours to fly standby on a flight to Montreal (which oddly doesn't show in the schedule but was flying this day) and have connections arranged through there. Why not the 6 flights to Halifax, some of which would have left earlier? They were full too, as was Westjet's 737 to Toronto. It's well known that Air Canada doesn't really want to be in Sydney, but they have no good case for leaving unless they can decrease their passenger loads out of there to an unsustainable level. Hell, they were flying glorified crop dusters out of there until real competition showed up, and still do sometimes in the "off season". I'm not talking Dash 8's that some don't seem to like, I'm talking the single prop 12 seater's.

Quote:
It'll probably change eventually. I remember having to touch down in Halifax on a lot of flights out of St. John's, even to Europe, until relatively recently (say, within the last 10 years).
Air Canada used to have direct flights from Sydney to Newfoundland...but it wasn't St. John's. Nope. It was Stephenville. Now tell me how that made any sense. To get to St. John's, you had to connect in Halifax (or I suppose Stephenville if they had a flight from there). And taking the Argentia was a heck of a lot cheaper and didn't take a whole lot of extra time.

Anyway, that's enough ranting for one day...

You guys are right, the growth is impressive and really shows the latent demand that has always existed in the Sydney market, but even now there's latent demand still between mid-October to mid-May (58% of the year).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 4:39 AM

I'm not defending Air Canada.... but... here is another example of people wanting the airline to be run like a private business but act like a crown coporation. Major cities will get better service. Thats reality. Name me an airline that doesn't have hubs. It's the only way to barely make a profit. How many airlines have gone bankrupt in the last, say ten years? Is fuel getting cheaper? Are aircraft getting that much more fuel efficient? Are new aircraft getting cheaper to finance? Based on some of the comments on this forum, it's a no brainer to start up Atlantic Canada Airways again and make millions of dollars flying all over the planet from small cities and towns.

I can understand the frustration but, on the other side of the coin, it's really not like taking the bus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces