HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 4:50 AM

Must be in prep for the top floor addition... They definitely needed to make space for more height, and wouldn't be surprised if the old chillers had been in the way

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Must be in prep for the top floor addition... They definitely needed to make space for more height, and wouldn't be surprised if the old chillers had been in the way
I saw the scaffolding on Michigan on Friday and wondered if they were prepping for the addition

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 2:49 PM

great shot of the worst parking lot in the city

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I'm partial to the stretch of parking lots between Wabash and State in the South Loop as being the worst. They create such a deadzone

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 7:18 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Uhhhh, that address (615 S Ogden) doesn’t exist
I gave the cross streets as well!

Actually 615 N Ogden. Weirdly I never realized that Ogden has both a "North Ogden" and a "West Ogden" but no South or East.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 8:08 PM

Oh ok. I forgot that was happening. Makes sense. Hopefully the next time we see construction vehicles here its for the lot...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 9:39 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
As desperately as I want that to be filled in I am happy not to see anything happen here for a while as hopefully whatever public or city response to the renders/plans throw out to the public a few years ago by Macerich? were extremely underwhelming and fell far short of potential to develop the site.

Hopefully, the next plan includes full decking and pedestrianization of the site with a signature design mixed-use building fronting Wabash. Don't really care too much about the height, in fact if it is on the shorter side I wouldn't mind as it may allow a bit more light to splash what one day have the potential to be a nice enclosed plaza.

And if they can tear down the gigantic Nordstrom in the process (BIG if but I think it inevitably will happen someday) that would make it all the better.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:06 AM

213-221 N Racine. Just north of Lake where Twelve01West is. 6 stories, 78 feet for office use with 31 parking spaces. Current building will be demolished.

Current: https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...!4d-87.6564539

--

Also, Bloomingdale's wants to put a health club, fitness center, and lifestyle center with food/beverage in the Medinah Temple building.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:34 AM

6048-58 S Halsted (Halsted & ~61st St). New development in Englewood....48 affordable and market rate units with ground floor commercial and 49 parking spaces. Developer is Keith B Key Enterprises out of Columbus - they have developments mostly there and Pittsburgh but also some in Harlem, New Orleans, and Wichita. The application states it's Phase 1 so potentially more upcoming south of 61st I believe.

Currently mostly vacant land: https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...2!4d-87.645247

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:47 AM
The City

^ Medinah as a health club? Needs to be a raging 4 story nightclub and restaurant, I say.

The Englewood proposal is interesting, what’s up with that? Nobody ever builds stuff of this size there, is that a real proposal? Is this taking advantage of Opportunity Zones?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The Englewood proposal is interesting, what’s up with that? Nobody ever builds stuff of this size there, is that a real proposal? Is this taking advantage of Opportunity Zones?
Of course it's real - where do you think I got the drawings from? LOL

https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

Actually, I just discovered another part of the same development from 5900-58 Halsted from the same developer for a new 3 story building with 32 units and 44 parking spaces. Basically the same design as above - same developer from Columbus. That would be something if they wanted to do this all the way from 63rd to 59th on Halsted, from the Green Line stop. Halsted and 60th is actually where that veterans housing from a handful of years ago went in (Hope Manor).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/59...2!4d-87.645284

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:46 AM

Jewel Osco at 61st and Cottage Grove
Located on POAH’s final lot of vacant land at 61st Street and South Cottage Grove Avenue, the new 48,000-square-foot, full-service grocery store and 24/7 drive-through pharmacy eliminates a food desert that had not seen a full-service grocery store open in Woodlawn in a half-century. The new store, only minutes from the future home of the Obama Presidential Center, created more than 200 new jobs filled by residents recruited and trained by POAH and Jewel as part of a 12-month employee development program at the Woodlawn Resource Center.

The grand opening of the new Jewel-Osco store is the latest milestone in a surge of developments fueled by a $30.5 million U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Choice Neighborhood Grant awarded to POAH and the City of Chicago in 2011. Since then, they have turned the funds into more than $410 million of investments from public and private organizations for new housing, retail, commercial and community amenities to help revitalize Woodlawn. The investments in new developments over the last seven years have made a difference—for the first time in 50 years Woodlawn’s population has increased, up 15 percent, while the number of vacant properties has plummeted.

Besides the Jewel-Osco store grand opening announcement, earlier this year POAH competed construction of Woodlawn Station, a new transit-oriented mixed-use development adding 70 mixed-income rental apartments and 15,000 square feet of retail adjacent to the Chicago Transit Authority’s Green Line train station. Daley’s, the oldest restaurant in Chicago, will make Woodlawn Station its new home once it puts the finishing touches on its new location within the new development. And in 2018, POAH completed construction of primarily market-rate rental apartment building, Trianon Lofts, directly across the street from the new Jewel store.

“A new grocery store in Woodlawn and the first increase in population, both in more than 50 years, combined with the turning of a $30.5 million federal grant into $410 million in new housing, stores, schools and more aren’t miracles,” said Meghan Harte, executive director of Local Initiatives Support Corporation/Chicago. “Rather, they’re indicators of smart public and private investments as part of an effective, comprehensive community redevelopment strategy.”

The new Jewel-Osco Woodlawn location was developed by a joint venture of Terraco and DL3 Realty, who obtained the 3.5-acre, vacant lot from POAH for $2 million. The new grocery and pharmacy will offer fresh produce, a deli counter, ready-to-eat meals and a variety of services for customers.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:04 AM

Crappy picture of that one Chinese-led development that was shared a few weeks back. Progress being made I think

There's another large warehouse or two in McKinley Park right by the park that is being gutted and rehabbed(I think on Pershing), but I'm not sure for what exactly. I'll take pictures next time I go by. It's a few blocks past the giant US Postal Service buildings

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 3:38 AM

I posted about the Englewood development a year ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Did some more internet searching and found that there's a new development in Englewood call 'Englewood Apartments'. Phase I will contain 8 buildings on vacant lots along Halsted from 61st to 59th St, and have 80 units and 20,000 sqft of retail. There will also be a 2,000 sqft community center, in-fill sites will be developed, and houses will be renovated. Phase II will include 160 units and 10,000 sqft or retail. Phase I has received LIHTC, as well as 20 of the units coming from CHA, so it's definitely a real project.

Sources:
http://www.thecha.org/assets/1/6/Ite...ard_Letter.pdf
http://www.thecha.org/chicago-housin...o-communities/
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...79333822081883

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:04 AM

^ Nice. A good problem to have in not remembering this stuff. Looks promising for the area.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:24 AM

Good news. No Rascal Flats restaurant/bar in the West Loop. The west loop is safe for another year or two.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Good news. No Rascal Flats restaurant/bar in the West Loop. The west loop is safe for another year or two.
Good. Keep that shit in Nashville or Vegas where it belongs.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Good. Keep that shit in Nashville or Vegas where it belongs.
Apparently the developer just used their name for promotional reasons. Reading between the lines, it probably was never happening.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:18 PM
Closed account

City gets first new building code in 70 years

Not sure if this is best here or the politics thread.

Lots of information from Crain's.

Quote:
Mayor Rahm Emanuel will introduce a major building code revision calling for new naming standards, material flexibility and sustainability measure.

The new code paves the way for use of cost-efficient construction materials and technologies, according to a press release. The combination of a more efficient permitting process with new flexibility in construction materials will lower building costs for “single-family homes, affordable housing units, two- and three-flat buildings” and other projects.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
But... but... we spent so much time complaining about it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development