HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
For free?
I don't thing a person will be charged to go to the lobby to make a reservation.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 3:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
I don't thing a person will be charged to go to the lobby to make a reservation.
I'm sure they will try to find a way to discourage people from doing so. I'm pretty sure it would be illegal if you went in with no intention of doing business there although obviously that would be difficult to prove.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
I'm sure they will try to find a way to discourage people from doing so. I'm pretty sure it would be illegal if you went in with no intention of doing business there although obviously that would be difficult to prove.
Im thinking it will be like the Bonaventure Hotel up the street. You can go in press 35 and go to the restaurant.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
The St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco has a glass elevator that I've taken visitors on many times, without needing to be a guest there. It's a little SF secret, so, I guess it is possible.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 6:33 AM

There will be The Roof Deck Bar on the 73rd floor, the Sky Lobby Bar on the 70th floor, a Sky Restaurant on the 71st floor, and an all-day restaurant on the 69th floor.

Last edited by mdiederi; May 19, 2014 at 6:43 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 6:47 AM

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 8:47 AM

Plaza

http://www.wilshiregrandcenter.com/leasing-info/images

The entrance looks amazing and they are using a very high quality glass on the tower. I'm loving this tower more than any other that is going up lately

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 9:13 AM

This is a very nice tower. Can't wait to see it finished.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
This is a very nice tower. Can't wait to see it finished.
I couldnt agree more. to me, it appears as tho the design has been worked on and worked on and refined upon until it became what you see today... and its apparent that the ac martin wanted an iconic building, not just another mid 2010s metamodernist highrise. to me, this is by far the highest-quality tower built in the united states in the past 20 years, and possibly the world; yes better than 1wtc, burj khalifa and anything china has put up.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Alex View Post
Plaza

http://www.wilshiregrandcenter.com/leasing-info/images

The entrance looks amazing and they are using a very high quality glass on the tower. I'm loving this tower more than any other that is going up lately
This is across from the Red Line entrance. I like the look of the steps to take you up to lobby level.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 5:03 PM

Red face Shrinking elegance ....

It is certainly has a fluidity to the design that will be wonderful to see. Too bad it keeps shrinking in height. In stead of calling it a "super tall", maybe a new category of "super classy" should be introduced.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 5:43 PM

So 2 pools? Isn't there supposed to be one up near the top also?

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 9:45 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Yes...there will be a pool on the 73rd floor pool deck, as well as a larger pool on top of the convention podium.
To downtown giant, the tower hasn't shrunk. its 1,100 ft. Has been for over a year. If people chose to guestimate a roof height and were wrong, that's on them. Martin Partners always said it would have a lower roof and top floor than US Bank. The renders were fairly clear. I had tried to estimate as well, and was wrong, but still and enthralled with the quality of the design.
Its an amazing building that has a design that exceeds many of the other towers going up currently. The complainers will continue...its how they think they stay relevant, but lets just enjoy the construction of a remarkable new building downtown that will reshape the skyline and the approach of skyscraper construction in Los Angeles.
And to the height whiners...deal with it, your opinions mean nothing. it is 1,100 feet, period. If it makes you feel better, when its done, stand there with picket signs and declare it unfit for tallest, otherwise, pound sand. THANKS!

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 9:48 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
And to the height whiners...deal with it, your opinions mean nothing. it is 1,100 feet, period. If it makes you feel better, when its done, stand there with picket signs and declare it unfit for tallest, otherwise, pound sand. THANKS!
Ah okay, let's go ahead and stick a kilometer high pole onto city hall so LA can have the worlds tallest

But really the base looks AMAZING, also the building is really bulky so it will have decent presence.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 9:58 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Ah okay, let's go ahead and stick a kilometer high pole onto city hall so LA can have the worlds tallest

But really the base looks AMAZING, also the building is really bulky so it will have decent presence.
And I'm sure I know where we can pull that kilometer long stick out of Zapatan

But I agree, it is a beautiful tower.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 12:24 AM

There are pictures from this weekend on SSC.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 1:56 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
And I'm sure I know where we can pull that kilometer long stick out of Zapatan

But I agree, it is a beautiful tower.
Oh lighten up, first off it's true and second, it was a joke.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unanimity View Post
I couldnt agree more. to me, it appears as tho the design has been worked on and worked on and refined upon until it became what you see today... and its apparent that the ac martin wanted an iconic building, not just another mid 2010s metamodernist highrise. to me, this is by far the highest-quality tower built in the united states in the past 20 years, and possibly the world; yes better than 1wtc, burj khalifa and anything china has put up.
I understand being excited about what is being built in LA, but better than anything China has put up? Possibly the world? This building is a B+ for Los Angeles, but for the world it is a C at best. There are so many amazing buildings that have been built in the last 5 years around the world, and so many more that are proposed, that you really need to take a look before reaching your conclusion:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=323

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unanimity View Post
A great design for LA for sure but IMHO there have been much better towers of the last 20 years in both Chicago and NYC and most certainly the rest of the world. I mean this tower is beautiful but not exactly groundbreaking.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:58 AM

The Entrance is Awesome. As many architects focus on the vertical part of the tower and have a lack luster base, This tower has a great base I think, granted my conclusive judgment will have to wait until its actually built, that being said... do I think its an interesting tower, yes. do I think its probably one of the better ones out there, meaning it isn't a boring box or overly massive for no reason like the ones in china and Mid east, than yes. But that being said. credit should be given to the other amazing towers out there. Many sleek/clean buildings out there that were given some actual thought into their designs.

And people PLEASE get over that "needle" and height changes/variations that you THINK are new and feel the need to bitch about but it has been set in stone for about a year now. If you want to take away Crowns/Spires from being included in height, I do agree that no more than 50-100 feet of a spire should be included in height count, Get ready to rewrite the history books. The list of Worlds tallest would literally be thrown into a whirl wind. Many of the older towers, Chrysler and Empire State building as 2 examples, relied on their spires/crowns to keep their titles and to get their title to begin with. If your going to take one, take them all from counting, including the old ones.

Last edited by caligrad; May 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive