HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Hamilton Grand in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 4:49 PM
Ham-burgher

Sarcasm about Stinson isn't out of place.

This project has been in discussion for over 4.5 years, on two different sites and in various forms. Financing and city issues did cause problems, but that's still a long time and he hasn't even broken ground yet.

Throw in his fantastical proposal for the Connaught when he first blew into town, and the time it's taken to work on the Stinson School Lofts project (that still isn't complete).

I hope his projects work out well, and that he does more in the future. But the sarcasm is earned, I think.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrillion View Post
One of the few projects I'm excited for and Stinson, once again, can't get his shit together
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Try some positive constructive comments for once.
thank you! if thats too difficult maybe start with constructive criticism and build from there

and for what its worth i spoke to the workers putting up the hoarding and they said construction should start in "a couple of weeks"... this was... wait for it... a couple of weeks ago. still i believe construction will begin shortly

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
thank you! if thats too difficult maybe start with constructive criticism and build from there
Unless you or anyone else here has the ear of Mr. Stinson, criticism constructive or otherwise is mere venting. Which is what forums allow; a sometimes strong exchange of opinions which influence nothing except hopefully our own thinking about the topic.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Try some positive constructive comments for once.
yolo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Unless you or anyone else here has the ear of Mr. Stinson, criticism constructive or otherwise is mere venting. Which is what forums allow; a sometimes strong exchange of opinions which influence nothing except hopefully our own thinking about the topic.
i happen to know more than a few prominent developers from hamilton who do frequent these boards to gauge public opinion. while Mr. Stinson is not one of them its not far fetched to think that he or one of his employers check forums such as these perhaps say monthly

so in short i feel constructive discussion here is far more than just venting and may have more of an impact than you think. Hamilton is not that big of a community and catching the ear of developers is not as difficult as one may be led to believe

besides that point, i was merely encouraging a young 16 year older poster (who I commend for joining this forum at such a young age and taking an interest in our great city) to add constructive discussion to the topic or constructive "venting" as you may see it, rather than constant criticism

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 5:37 AM

I joined when I was sixteen, and was met with worse hoards of backlash for criticizing certain projects. And I must say, that it was somewhat humiliating, and did make me feel intimidated on here. To this very day, I review everything I post to make sure that it sounds educated, and create a few mental notes to back-up my opinions. Although, some comments are uncalled for, I completely agree with @movingtohamilton when he states that Forum's are essentially a place to vent, whether constructively or otherwise, and all of us on here have had our emotional moments/blunders.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 6:23 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
i happen to know more than a few prominent developers from hamilton who do frequent these boards to gauge public opinion. while Mr. Stinson is not one of them its not far fetched to think that he or one of his employers check forums such as these perhaps say monthly

so in short i feel constructive discussion here is far more than just venting and may have more of an impact than you think. Hamilton is not that big of a community and catching the ear of developers is not as difficult as one may be led to believe
Constructive discussion is definitely a good thing. I think criticism has its place too (as does boosterism, though it gets a bad rap )

If any of that catches a developer's eyes, that's a good thing. And if it's critical commentary from more than a few, maybe it's a sign that they should gather broader input?

Though if a developer is led to question whether his/her projects should go ahead based on what's posted by a few people on an anonymous discussion board, perhaps their projects aren't based on the best business case to begin with?

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jul 16, 2013 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
i happen to know more than a few prominent developers from hamilton who do frequent these boards to gauge public opinion. while Mr. Stinson is not one of them its not far fetched to think that he or one of his employers check forums such as these perhaps say monthly...
That is remarkable, and I do apologize for making assumptions (which is out-of-character for me). I discovered SSP Hamilton before moving here and it has provided a wealth of information. I have asked questions on everything from where to go cross-country skiing to the ins-and-outs of the new stadium. Forumites have always generously given me detailed answers.

The "knowledgebase" here is tremendous and reliable, and more than a few of my twitter posts were informed from these discussions.

I felt that more patience was needed in replying to Katrillion's posts, but my own reply was less than thoughtful. I can't unring that bell, so let's move on?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrillion View Post
yolo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
I joined when I was sixteen, and was met with worse hoards of backlash for criticizing certain projects. And I must say, that it was somewhat humiliating, and did make me feel intimidated on here. To this very day, I review everything I post to make sure that it sounds educated, and create a few mental notes to back-up my opinions.
There's nothing good about making someone feel humiliated, but with respect whatever the other posters did seems to work. Why shouldn't we review our posts to make sure they sound educated, and state well-thought-out opinions that are defensible and explainable?

I find the tone on this board generally very good. I feel like, if someone states an opinion with which I don't agree or which I do not completely understand, I can ask questions of that person and expect a reasoned explanation. It's very useful! In only few cases do posts sometimes seem rash and poorly-considered.

It's hard not to be frustrated with Stinson and the lack of progress on this project. You have to take everything with a grain of salt after so many delays...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:21 PM

^ +1

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
...It's hard not to be frustrated with Stinson and the lack of progress on this project. You have to take everything with a grain of salt after so many delays...
I'm sure Stinson projects have been discussed for years here.

I always understood that residential condo developers proceed on construction once they reach a threshold level of pre-sales.

Is there a core, fundamental flaw in his business plan? Endless red-tape at City Hall? Or is lack of financing/pre-sales at the heart of his endless delays?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 2:19 PM

Quote:
...Is there a core, fundamental flaw in his business plan? Endless red-tape at City Hall? Or is lack of financing/pre-sales at the heart of his endless delays?
That's the real question to ask, and it's probably a combination of things.

It can't just be red tape, as we have seen other projects completed in good time- like Urban West on Aberdeen. Lack of financing may be a symptom of poor business planning. Likewise with a lack of pre-sales.

In the case of Hamilton Grand specifically, I think it is fundamentally flawed. I have been pitched the project, and do not understand why they believe there are a large number of people who would want to purchase an "investment suite" that you can never enter, and can never manage on your own. They do not know what management company will rent the suites on investors' behalf, and I suspect that it will inevitably be a company in which Stinson has interest. How could it not be?

I know that he did this kind of a condo hotel scheme in Toronto, but I don't think the need is acute here in Hamilton for many new hotel rooms, or long-term stay professional furnished accomodation, or whatever specifically these rentals are billed as. Hotel vacancy is high in Hamilton, in fact, and there are several new hotels recently opened or soon-to-be-opened in the area.

The other question to ask, therefore, is why the developer insists on this mechanism anyway. The building looks lovely, the location is perfect for a mixed-use development. I personally would like living in that location. But owner-occupied is not on the table. How many investors could there possibly be, right now, interested in buying a unit that Stinson will manage for them? Not enough, evidently.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 2:30 PM

Quote:
That is remarkable, and I do apologize for making assumptions (which is out-of-character for me). I discovered SSP Hamilton before moving here and it has provided a wealth of information. I have asked questions on everything from where to go cross-country skiing to the ins-and-outs of the new stadium. Forumites have always generously given me detailed answers.

The "knowledgebase" here is tremendous and reliable, and more than a few of my twitter posts were informed from these discussions.

I felt that more patience was needed in replying to Katrillion's posts, but my own reply was less than thoughtful. I can't unring that bell, so let's move on?
Its great that you chose to move to hamilton and even better to have you here on ssp hamilton. I too post less than thoughtful comments from time to time so no harm at all in that. In the end we're all here because we care about out city!

Cheers!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 2:33 PM

If construction of this project is based on sales, then I'm worried even more. Selling practically micro-condo's for approximately $150,000 under the pretense of renting it out is a hard pitch, considering the fact that you could travel a few blocks away and pick up a house in the core for the same price.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:24 PM

Stintson, I feel built confidence if not a monetary success out of his school project(?). He made many out of towners notice Hamilton, the guy needs to be admired by Hamilton. He trailblazed this city early on as an early advocate for renewal. I am not Harry, nor do I know him. haha. The guy must be a stubborn ox with big balls.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:28 PM
Hammer'd

He has also yet to actually complete one of the several projects he has announced or started since coming here. That is the sticking point for me.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:33 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
He has also yet to actually complete one of the several projects he has announced or started since coming here. That is the sticking point for me.
If he helps advertise the city and other projects go through because of it that's good.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:49 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlstreet View Post
Stintson, I feel built confidence if not a monetary success out of his school project(?). He made many out of towners notice Hamilton, the guy needs to be admired by Hamilton. He trailblazed this city early on as an early advocate for renewal. I am not Harry, nor do I know him. haha. The guy must be a stubborn ox with big balls.
That would be the flipside.

Plus, the more of these projects that get done, the easier it may be to get financing, even for small ones done by individuals.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 3:52 PM

Quote:
I'm sure Stinson projects have been discussed for years here.

I always understood that residential condo developers proceed on construction once they reach a threshold level of pre-sales.

Is there a core, fundamental flaw in his business plan? Endless red-tape at City Hall? Or is lack of financing/pre-sales at the heart of his endless delays?
Nobody trusts Stinson with their money.

It's unfortunate, because he has some great ideas and is a real Hamilton booster. But speaking for myself, I support his ideas and wish him the best, but I wouldn't go as far as putting up my hard earned money for one of his projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton