HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 3:04 AM

The incredible adobe mud skyscrapers cities of Wadi Hadramawt, Yemen

A fascinating series of cities set inside Yemen. Wadi Hadramawt consists of a narrow, arid coastal plain bounded by the steep escarpment of a broad plateau (al-Jawl, averaging 4,490 ft), with a very sparse network of deeply sunk wadis (seasonal watercourses). The undefined northern edge of Hadhramaut slopes down to the vast dry desert Empty Quarter. Hemmed in by so much sun-blasted desert, the vast Wadi Hadramawt, a dry river valley lined with lush oases, is like another world. In an instant, sterility is replaced by fertility and ochre browns give way to disco greens.

With its shades of Afghanistan, reflections of Morocco, flavours of Africa and reminders of Arabia, Yemen is utterly unique and deeply romantic. To travel in this most traditional of Islamic countries, surrounded by a people whom the Prophet once described as ‘the most gentle-hearted of men’, is a privilege.

The Hadhramis live in densely built towns centered on traditional watering stations along the wadis. Hadhramis harvest crops of wheat and millet, tend date palm and coconut groves, and grow some coffee. On the plateau, Bedouins tend sheep and goats. Society is still highly tribal, with the old Seyyid aristocracy, descended from the Prophet Muhammad, traditionally educated and strict in their Islamic observance and highly respected in religious and secular affairs.

I will post more but if you are curious here is a link to more photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsiWqq8eM

Last edited by phil marion; Jul 11, 2015 at 10:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 3:05 AM

City of Shibam

(from Wiki): Shibam, which is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, owes its fame to its distinct architecture.The houses of Shibam are all made out of mud brick and about 500 of them are tower houses, which rise 5 to 11 stories high, with each floor having one or two rooms. This architectural style was used in order to protect residents from Bedouin attacks. While Shibam has been in existence for an estimated 1,700 years, most of the city's houses originate from the 16th century. Many, though, have been rebuilt numerous times in the last few centuries.

Shibam is often called "the oldest skyscraper city in the world" or "the Manhattan of the desert", and is one of the oldest and best examples of urban planning based on the principle of vertical construction. The city has some of the tallest mud buildings in the world, with some of them over 30 meters (100 feet) high, thus being early high-rise apartment buildings. In order to protect the buildings from rain and erosion, the walls must be routinely maintained by applying fresh layers of mud. The nearby town of Tarim contains the tallest structure in the Wadi Hadhramaut valley, the mudbrick minaret of the Al-Mihdhar mosque. It stands at a height of approximately 53 meters (175 feet.) This is the tallest minaret in the southern Arabian peninsula.

Like Manhattan, the high-rises of Shibam were built on a rectangular grid of streets and squares. Unlike Manhattan, the skyscrapers are made of mud, date back to the 16th century, and the dusty streets are often overrun with goats.

Mud skyscrapers of Shibam, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

adobe mud apartment buidlings Shibam - Wadi Hadramawt, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Those who can afford it limewash their houses to protect them against termites and against the rains and flooding which occur from time to time in sa'il, the bed of the main wadi.
In general the windowless lower floors are used for grain storage, with areas for domestic use above and those for family and leisure above that. The main room on the second floor is used by men for socializing. It often has wonderful carved plasterwork and freestanding decorated wooden columns supporting the ceiling, while women's areas are found higher, usually on the third or fourth floor. The highest rooms are for communal use by the whole family, and on the upper levels there are often bridges (mi'bar) and doors connecting the houses. These are a defensive feature, but also a practical one – especially for old people who find it difficult to walk up and down the interminable staircases.

IMG_7401 by Phil Marion, on Flickr

not too happy about the public display of affection by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Wadi Dawan:
Wadi Dawan is a town and desert valley afew minutes from Shibam. Located in the Hadhramaut Governorate, it is noted for its mud brick buildings. On January 18, 2008, an ambush attack on Belgian tourists traveling in a convoy through the valley took place. killing 2 Belgians. I visited the region the year before.

Wadi Dhar, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

abobe mud house in Wadi Dawan village - Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Wadi Dawan village - Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

I will post more but if you are curious here is a link to more photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsiWqq8eM

Last edited by phil marion; Jul 11, 2015 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 3:12 AM

Seiyun and Tarim:

Seiyun is the largest town of the Wadi Hdramout and the provincial capital and main government, commercial and communications centre. It is known for the fabulous palm groves that surround it and for its old market where traditional crafts such as jewellery are still practiced. As of 2006 the city's population was 75,700.

The massive Sultan's Palace, with its four corner towers, stands in the oldest part of Seiyun, nest to the busy market; it is the largest mud-brick building in the Wadi Hadramout and an outstanding example of mud architecture. It was built in 1873, rebuilt in 1926 by Mansur bin Ghalib al Kathiri and whitewashed by his son Ali in 1935. Today it houses a museum of archaeology with finds from Raybun, one of Yemen's most important ancient sites as well as exhibits on popular traditions, folklore and costumes. It also includes objects from the colonial days.

The Sultan Al Kathiri Palace- Seiyun, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

motorcycle parking - Seiyun market, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Tarim:
Encircled by palm groves, is Tarim. One of the most impressive, with its south-east Asian influences and 50-ft-high minaret, is the Al Muhdhar mosque. Built in 1915, it is one of the great symbols of Yemeni architecture. Tarim is also known for its libraries, the most famous being the Al Kaf Manuscripts Library, which houses around 5000 manuscripts from the surrounding region covering religion, the thoughts of the prophets, Islamic law, Sufism, medicine, astronomy, agriculture, biography, history, and mathematics. Many go back hundreds of years, and often contain vibrantly colored illuminations and illustrations.

mosque minaret of Tarim, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

veiled woman & adobe mud building - Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

roadside dinner of chicken & rice by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Last edited by phil marion; Aug 25, 2014 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm in love.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 3:42 PM

Wow, what a description you wrote! Sounds like an intro straight out of a Lonely Planet guide!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 4:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Shibam is on my bucket list.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 6:07 PM

Absolutely incredible!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 11:25 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Incredible place!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Wow, what a description you wrote! Sounds like an intro straight out of a Lonely Planet guide!
In all fairness much of it was from wiki and other online sources. I'm not that literate nor lyrical.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:21 AM

Way cool

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:24 AM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 1:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wow, what was it like to visit? What were the people like? How did they react to a foreigner (I am making an assumption here)? I only ask, because I really would love to visit Yemen.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Wow, what was it like to visit? What were the people like? How did they react to a foreigner (I am making an assumption here)? I only ask, because I really would love to visit Yemen.
Firstly I can only tell you what the men of Yemen were like since all women are covered head to toe and would not dare speak publicly to a man outside their family. Nor would a Yemeni male approach a Yemeni woman outside of his family. So my interactions were only with men. My experiences is that people are friendliest in Islamic countries. The Koran states one should treat visitors with kindness. The few people that spoke English would go out of their way to welcome me. This included shop owners who proudly displayed pictures of Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden. Although many people hold negative opinions about American/Western governments that does not extend to the citizens of those countries whom they believe are being lied to about Islam. Most people don't typically blame travelers for the policies of their country's government. They are happy to encounter tourists who have seen their country as a place worthy of a visit. Generally, Yemenis are very welcoming and respectful to others and this extends to travelers.
That said, there are a lunatic fringe that want their totalitarian government overthrown and despise what they feel are the western foreign powers that support the dictatorship. So they will be happy to strike at any symbol of those powers be it a moored naval ship or an easier target like a helpless tourist. The government is fighting an insurrection and cannot guarantee the safety of tourists. Tourists need travel permits for anywhere in Yemen. At the moment (and for some time) the police are not issuing permits for many parts of the country. Like Cambodia under the Khmer rouge this isn't a place to visit right now.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 7:26 AM
hemelschraper

^Such a shame, it looks absolutely wonderful. Thanks for the tour.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJW View Post
^Such a shame, it looks absolutely wonderful. Thanks for the tour.
Err, it ain't over yet...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:39 AM

To view a larger version of any photo just click on it!!!

door- Wadi Hawdramawt, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Mud skyscrapers of Shibam, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

young girls - Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Abandoned home - Tarim, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Mosque and cemetery - Sayun, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

colourfully painted adobe mud building - Yemen, Arabia peninsula by Phil Marion, on Flickr

mosque - Wadi Hadramawt, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

mud adobe town - Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

inside a Wadi Dawan village - Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

kid, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

tea shop - Shibam, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Market vendor wearing traditional head piece - Tarim, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

veiled woman in traditional hat guides her flock- Wadi Hawdramawt, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:08 PM

To view a larger version of any photo just click on it!!!

door - Shibam, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

detail - adobe mud house in Shibam, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

colourfully painted adobe mud building - Yemen, Arabia peninsula by Phil Marion, on Flickr

teenage girls on the streets of Tarim, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

residents of Shibham, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

door bell & peep hole - red door, Wadi Hadramawt in Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

market - Sieyun, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

schoolboys of Shibam, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Fearless goat precariously standing on the ledge by Phil Marion, on Flickr

adobe mud 'skyscrapers' of Shibam, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

young boy and his toys - Sayun, Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

detail of mud adobe house in Wadi Dawan village - Yemen by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Last edited by phil marion; Jul 11, 2015 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:45 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Excellent pictures, Phil!

Wonderful shots for a beautiful place. Shibam, the Manhattan of the desert is amazing.

You did a very valuable work. Thanks.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 9:24 AM

Fascinating place & pics! Thank you for posting.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 1:00 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Such an amazing tour. Are the larger buildings in Shibam used by extended families? Or are they more like apartment buildings? Unbelievable structures.

Thanks for sharing your pics and experiences with us.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos