HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 4:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
Good find, but I'd argue too close to the existing Kanata and Merivale Costcos.

Maybe a Sam's Club?
I was gonna say the same thing. It would be surprising, though anything is possible.

If there is any part of Ottawa crying out for a Costco it's the far east end, most notably Orleans. The one at Cyrville and Innes is overloaded.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 5:02 PM

On the topic of Costco, I heard a rumour that Costco wants to close down the store at Innes & 417 and in its place open a new one in Orleans.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 5:09 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Based on the site plan, it appears as though a Costco is coming to Strandherd/Maravista in Barrhaven (near 416):

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9ARMJA

Building A1 at 156K sqft seems consistent with a Costco footprint.
See discussion over here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=141085

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheCore View Post
The "Living @ One" store/office/meeting thing (?) at 160 Bank (beside Moore's, just north of Laurier) closed down a few weeks ago. This morning, I see that the For Lease sign is gone and the windows are papered up, but there's no indication as to what's going in there.
This morning, there's an Opening Soon sign in the window for "Haki's Fashion".

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:14 PM

Holt Renfrew closing in January.

Quote:
Judy Trinh ‏@JudyTrinhCBC 3m
Bad news alert for Fashionistas: Holt Renfrew closing in #Ottawa and Quebec City January 2015. 72 jobs affected in #Ottcity #ottnews

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Not surprised, to be honest. I walked through there a few weeks ago in the mid-afternoon and it was dead. On top of that, it looked somewhat run-down. It's just not a good location for them.

My guess is that they'll open an HR2 outlet in Kanata as a replacement.

In somewhat related news (seeing as Holt's is currently on Sparks Street), the Sparks Street BIA sent out this tweet earlier today:

Quote:
Major Retailer coming to Sparks near the New Bier Market. Who do you think it will be? @613style @OFW_LIVE #ottawa #ottnews #ottcity
Not sure what this could be...At the risk of being disappointed by the final reveal (as usually happens with new retail offerings on Sparks), I won't even hazard a guess :S

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:50 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Sad but not inevitable.

They had a really good thing going with the Holt Renfrew card. Tons of loyalty stuff and special preview nights. But when they sold off the card to AMEX I and others didn't continue on. Plus the drive down-market didn't help either.

In cosmetics when De-anne left for Shoppers and Cameron for Homesense flags were being raised about retention of good workers and strong performers. And on top of that menswear never really recovered after Elie went to Harry's.

Ottawa was never much for high-end retailers, but now it seems even less.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Sad but not inevitable.

They had a really good thing going with the Holt Renfrew card. Tons of loyalty stuff and special preview nights. But when they sold off the card to AMEX I and others didn't continue on. Plus the drive down-market didn't help either.

In cosmetics when De-anne left for Shoppers and Cameron for Homesense flags were being raised about retention of good workers and strong performers. And on top of that menswear never really recovered after Elie went to Harry's.

Holt Renfrew would have been redundant with Nordstrom either way. The Ottawa location has always seemed like an afterthought to me.

This should be troubling for Sparks street though as it was one of the few retailers on the street that people may actually want to go visit for some shopping.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:28 PM

Alright so more space has cleared up for Ottawa's 100th Mega-Micro-Brewery!

Alternately, they could carve up the old Holt into 50 Shawarama Shops or perhaps 8 Shopper's Drug Marts.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:33 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Holt Renfrew to close Ottawa shop after 78 years

Janet Wilson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 28, 2014, Last Updated: August 28, 2014 12:18 PM EDT

After 78 years in Ottawa, Holt Renfrew, for years the undisputed leader in the luxury retail market in the capital, has announced it will close its doors at 240 Sparks St. in January.

Seventy-two employees — many of whom have worked for the company for decades — will also be out of work.

Mark Derbyshire, president of Holt Renfrew, said Thursday the decision to close the flagship store was a difficult one. He thanked Ottawa’s loyal customers, who have included politicians, diplomats and business executives.

“Today, Holt Renfrew informed employees that the Ottawa location will close at the end of January 2015. This was a difficult business decision as the Ottawa store continues to perform well and we and our employees have valued being a part of Ottawa’s retail environment. Holt Renfrew explored a number of options for its businesses in these markets, however it was ultimately concluded that Holt Renfrew’s enhanced specialty luxury business model requires a significantly larger store footprint in any target market and a deep assortment across a wide array of its core brand partners. Holt Renfrew employees in Ottawa have been devoted through many successful years, and we are dedicated to supporting them through this transition. We thank our loyal customers in Ottawa. We hope that many of them will continue to shop with us in other stores and in future online channels.”

While Holt Renfrew announced the closing of its stores in Ottawa and Quebec City, Derbyshire also noted an expansion plan in other markets, including a new store in Mississauga and Montreal and updates on its flagship stores in Vancouver and Calgary. They also unveiled plans for a Holt Renfrew Men store on Bloor Street in Toronto. Holts, which had not updated the Ottawa store in many years, would have faced stiff competition with the arrival of Nordstrom’s next spring and a flurry of other top fashion chains opening in the Rideau Centre and Bayshore Shopping Centre.

“Holt Renfrew employees in these markets have been devoted through many successful years,” said Derbyshire.

Holt Renfrew, which began as a hat shop in 1837 and was bought in 1986 by Galen and Hilary Weston, has more than 2,600 employees. It expects overall levels of employment to grow through 2017 to support its national expansion plans.

“Holt Renfrew is confident in its strategy and growth plans. We look forward to continuing to enhance our position as Canada’s destination for luxury and style,” said Derbyshire.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...after-78-years

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Sad but not inevitable.

Actually there is a ton of high-end retail on the way in Ottawa. It is probably this competition as much as the poor Sparks St location that led to the closure.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Not surprised, to be honest. I walked through there a few weeks ago in the mid-afternoon and it was dead. On top of that, it looked somewhat run-down. It's just not a good location for them.

My guess is that they'll open an HR2 outlet in Kanata as a replacement.

In somewhat related news (seeing as Holt's is currently on Sparks Street), the Sparks Street BIA sent out this tweet earlier today:

Not sure what this could be...At the risk of being disappointed by the final reveal (as usually happens with new retail offerings on Sparks), I won't even hazard a guess :S
So far they have said the Major Retailer is Canadian and will occupy 20000-30000 square feet.

http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/1139...rian-mall-bia/

So is something big-enough-box-y. I could see something like Giant Tiger or perhaps Mark's work warehouse.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:38 PM

An urban Canadian Tire!?!?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984 View Post
An urban Canadian Tire!?!?
I really hope it is this. Something that I think is really needed in the area.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 1:35 AM

Holt Renfrew leaving Ottawa after 78 years

Holt Renfrew leaving Ottawa after 78 years
JANET WILSON More from Janet Wilson
Published on: August 28, 2014Last Updated: August 28, 2014 6:18 PM EDT
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...after-78-years

Mark Derbyshire has thanked Ottawa customers for their years of patronage, but the Sparks Street store will be closing in January.

After 78 years in the capital, Holt Renfrew, once the undisputed leader in Ottawa’s luxury retail market, has announced it will close its doors at 240 Sparks St. in January.

Seventy-two employees — many of whom have worked for the company for decades — will also be out of work.

Mark Derbyshire, president of Holt Renfrew, said Thursday the decision to close the flagship store was a difficult one. He thanked Ottawa’s loyal customers, who have included politicians, diplomats, well-heeled socialites and business executives.

“Today, Holt Renfrew informed employees that the Ottawa location will close at the end of January 2015. This was a difficult business decision as the Ottawa store continues to perform well and we and our employees have valued being a part of Ottawa’s retail environment.”
While Holt Renfrew announced the closing of its stores in Ottawa and Quebec City, Derbyshire also noted an expansion plan in other markets, including a new store in Mississauga and Montreal and updates on its flagship stores in Vancouver and Calgary. They also unveiled plans for a Holt Renfrew Men store on Bloor Street in Toronto.

“Holt Renfrew explored a number of options for its businesses . . . however, it was ultimately concluded that Holt Renfrew’s enhanced specialty luxury business model requires a significantly larger store footprint in any target market and a deep assortment across a wide array of its core brand partners,” the company said.

Holts, which had not updated the two-storey Ottawa location in many years, faced looming and stiff competition with the arrival of Nordstrom’s next spring and a flurry of other top fashion chains opening in the Rideau Centre and Bayshore Shopping Centre.

Canada’s retail landscape has been littered with fallen retail giants over the years: Creeds, Simpson’s, Brettons and Eatons. Two years ago, Holts celebrated its 175th birthday — a major achievement given a volatile retail environment — with much fanfare and a series of mobile pop-ups and special guests. Its announcement on Thursday of a $300-million investment in key markets — especially in Western Canada — is all about sharpening the focus for its luxury business model in areas with the greatest potential for targeted growth.

Melissa Shabinsky, co-founder of Revolution Organics, said she was dismayed to learn about the Ottawa store’s closing.

“I grew up with Holt Renfrew as the destination in Ottawa for glamour and style. The store not only brought us access to some of the most sought-after fashion, jewelry and beauty brands, they were also a big part of our community fabric, supporting so many local causes, including our Fairy Godmother program. They provided makeup free of charge for our teens for many, many years and most recently hosted an amazing shopping night for our Bust a Move team to raise funds for the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation,” Shabinsky said.

Holt Renfrew began as a hat shop in Quebec City in 1837 by William Samuel Henderson. In the 1860s, the store was named Renfrew & Marcou and earned a reputation for its sophisticated furs. In the early 1900s, the company expanded to ladies’ and men’s fashions and renamed itself Holt Renfrew & Co. after opening its first store in Toronto and, by 1910, had opened others in Montreal and Winnipeg. The Ottawa department store opened in 1942 on Queen Street and moved to its current location on Sparks Street in 1977.

In 1986, the company was bought by Galen and Hilary Weston, and today has more than 2,600 employees. It expects overall levels of employment to grow through 2017 to support its national expansion plans.

“Holt Renfrew is confident in its strategy and growth plans. We look forward to continuing to enhance our position as Canada’s destination for luxury and style,” said Derbyshire.

But it’s not all doom and gloom along Sparks Street, Canada’s oldest pedestrian mall. Les Gagne, executive director of the Sparks Street business improvement area and mall authority, said Thursday that an announcement is forthcoming about a top retailer moving into the 25,000-square-foot space formerly occupied by Zellers.

“People will be really pleased. It’s a good fit for us in terms of the brand and quality of product.”

He says he hopes the decision by Holt Renfrew to leave is a short-term one and that the Canadian retailer will return at some point down the road.

“Ottawa is a fairly affluent city. It’s sad to see a name like that leave. It’s unfortunate that they couldn’t have gone somewhere else. There’s no doubt that 240 Sparks has seen better days. Looks like they arrived late in coming to the party at the Rideau Centre,” says Gagne, referring to that shopping centre’s $360-million expansion.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Good find, but I'd argue too close to the existing Kanata and Merivale Costcos.

Maybe a Sam's Club?
Both Costco Kanata and Merivale are always full of people, no matter time of day or day of the week.

I think the market can support another Costco in Barrhaven. First and foremost for Barrhaven residents (100K+, obviously not everyone shops at Costco but this is a good benchmark to go by) then Riverside South folks coming over through the bridge and you can add Richmond, Manotick and even North Grenville people in the mix.

The fact that it will be located right besides Hwy. 416 is a HUGE plus. This will be a boon for the neighbouring communities and businesses in terms of jobs, people and disposable income coming to the area.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 2:50 AM

I also feel like pointing out that Costco is actually quite a good employer. They pay their employees quite well (significantly above minimum wage in most cases) and give them benefits.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Alright so more space has cleared up for Ottawa's 100th Mega-Micro-Brewery!

Alternately, they could carve up the old Holt into 50 Shawarama Shops or perhaps 8 Shopper's Drug Marts.
Eight side-by-side Shopper's Drug Marts have already been done. What you want are eight NESTED Shopper's Drug Marts, each one containing a smaller Shopper's Drug Mart.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I also feel like pointing out that Costco is actually quite a good employer. They pay their employees quite well (significantly above minimum wage in most cases) and give them benefits.
This is true. I know people who have been working at Costco for 10+ years, in the warehouse and not office, and have no plans to look for anything else.

You guys probably see familiar cashier faces at the Costco Merivale and Kanata, some of them have been around since I was in university (1997) and when it was Price Club on Merivale.

For Holt, I wonder if there will be good sale or if they will simply transfer merchandise to other locations?

Speaking of closing, the Staples in Bells Corners will close in couple of weeks. It is one of the smaller Staples in town and with increasing competition from online shop and the fact Bells Corners is not exactly a hotbed for retailers, this decision does not surprise me.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 12:50 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I really hope it is this. Something that I think is really needed in the area.
I think there was one before where 180 Kent is now standing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy