HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I'm not sure they're consistently cheaper (I just plugged in a few random dates and Toronto is cheaper). Given that there are a lot more flights out of Toronto you're probably more likely to find a discounted ticket. Saving $30/week on parking might be a consideration for some people, but I'm not sure people who pay for long-term parking at airports are the demographic ulc airlines are chasing (from most of the GTA you could take transit to pearson, save $54 on parking and still get there faster faster than driving to the far side of hamilton).
I'm using Google flights as my information source and Westjet as the airline, as it runs direct flights out of YYZ/YHM to YYC, so a comparison is easy.

In the short term (i.e. if you're buying a flight in the next 2 weeks), Pearson is the better deal. If you're looking off in the future (say 4-6 weeks), Hamilton has an edge IMO - the bottom price at YYZ is $543 return, while YHM has prices from $384-$501.

As you allude to, it is pretty situational. There is certainly some operating advantage to Hamilton as opposed to Pearson - I doubt Westjet is losing money there.

I can see the advantages to both.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post

As you allude to, it is pretty situational. There is certainly some operating advantage to Hamilton as opposed to Pearson - I doubt Westjet is losing money there.

I can see the advantages to both.
I agree, but I think the business model of Westjet is different than a ULCA. Westjet service to Hamilton (or Waterloo or London for that matter) is mostly to service the local population, not to compete with YYZ (where it also offers the same service), although I take your point that cheaper parking may encourage someone from the GTA to fly out of Hamilton or Waterloo. An ULCA service is presumably trying to serve a larger catchment area.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 3:52 PM

Just another spotting note: although 07/25 is no longer closed, runway 14/32 will still be the primary runway used until September 15. The taxiway at the end of 07/start of 25 is closed, so takeoffs from 25 are from F (the highspeed) only, and landings on 07 still aren't authorized (since if a plane misses F then they're stuck).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation