HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 11:01 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
You beat me to it. Great video about Toronto. Toronto haters need not watch it will make you hate this city even more.
Actually, some Toronto-likers will hate it, too. I thought it was putrid, earnest, self-congratulating crap. Total yuck. But I'm a post-punk alternative/indie-minded Gen Xer. Self-promotion, or at least, unabashedly engaging in self-promotion instead of considering it a necessary evil, is kryptonite to me.

If you have to say you're great a lot, then you're not really great.

But I'm sensing a generation and cultural gap here. It seems to me that lots of twenty and thirty-something people actually buy into this stuff. Maybe because in the age of social media and an unsteady employment climate, everyone has to sell themselves. He who shouts loudest, wins.

Thankfully Toronto is big enough to transcend this kind of shite, though. It contains multitudes, and this is just one of them.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 1:37 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

Great video about Toronto. Toronto haters need not watch it will make you hate this city even more.
I am not sure I have seen Canada's acceptance of the United States as the standard of Canadian self-worth stated more explicitly. It would be ironic if Canada's largest (and supposedly most self-confident) city is where Canada's inferiority complex and need for validation with respect to the United States runs deepest.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:49 AM

That vid hits on some good points, but yes, its a little self congratulatory. Also with its map calling the City of Toronto the "GTA", I had a good chuckle at that one.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
That vid hits on some good points, but yes, its a little self congratulatory. Also with its map calling the City of Toronto the "GTA", I had a good chuckle at that one.
Whoever made the map also mixed up York and East York, and no one else seems to have spotted that fairly obvious mistake before publication. I don't think much thought or research went into making the video (the creators apparently hadn't discovered that, well, women live here too).

I really hate how Norm Kelly has become a spokesman for the city. He's an old time Scarborough Liberal (read: right-wing populist) who's spent the last two decades voting against any and every city-building initiative that's crossed his desk. Toronto's "cultural renaissance" has happened in spite of men like Kelly, not because of them.

The video is meant for the audience of Complex: young men - mostly American - who like hip-hop and the related world of style and fashion. It's not meant to be a comprehensive look at the city and its broader culture. Compare it to this video, which is meant for an entirely different audience, but still picks up on many of the same themes and has some of the same limitations (albeit with less bluster).

You've got to feel bad for Kardinall though, narrating a video whose message boils down to "before Drake, nothing."

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I am not sure I have seen Canada's acceptance of the United States as the standard of Canadian self-worth stated more explicitly. It would be ironic if Canada's largest (and supposedly most self-confident) city is where Canada's inferiority complex and need for validation with respect to the United States runs deepest.

You seemed to have missed the point. In order to be a global city you must be acknowledged on the world stage. yes that means being noticed by our cousins to the south. To attract creative minds, international attention and incubate an environment that is one of the most progressive when it comes to the arts you need to try and stand along side the big dogs. There was nothing in there about wanting to be American at all. Just because it was mentioned that we are now as big as any market in the Hip Hop wrap scene is not saying we want to be American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau
Actually, some Toronto-likers will hate it, too. I thought it was putrid, earnest, self-congratulating crap. Total yuck. But I'm a post-punk alternative/indie-minded Gen Xer. Self-promotion, or at least, unabashedly engaging in self-promotion instead of considering it a necessary evil, is kryptonite to me.

If you have to say you're great a lot, then you're not really great.

Torontonians and non Torontonians just aren't used to this sort of self awareness or pride so I'm not surprised at all by the reaction here. Sometimes one does need to say that are great when nobody else is willing to yet.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post

You've got to feel bad for Kardinall though, narrating a video whose message boils down to "before Drake, nothing."

Or Maestro fresh, or k-os, I'm just glad that Vanilla Ice never gets mentioned.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 10:39 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

There was nothing in there about wanting to be American at all. Just because it was mentioned that we are now as big as any market in the Hip Hop wrap scene is not saying we want to be American.
I never said there was anything in that video about Torontonians wanting to be American.

What is in the video, however, is a cringe-worthy amount of traditional Canadian angst regarding what Americans think about us and an explicit confession of how desperate our need is for American approval for our validation and sense of self-worth. That video is no more a display of new cultural self-confidence than it is an ode to the oldest and most cliched of Canadian insecurities.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:44 PM

That was pretty much the exact response I was expecting on this forum to that video. LOL. Which is why video like that are needed.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

What is in the video, however, is a cringe-worthy amount of traditional Canadian angst regarding what Americans think about us and an explicit confession of how desperate our need is for American approval for our validation and sense of self-worth. That video is no more a display of new cultural self-confidence than it is an ode to the oldest and most cliched of Canadian insecurities.

Again, the video was filmed for an American website, and when people are discussing a topic such as Hip Hop it only makes sense to talk about how the Canadian market is making headway in the largest market on the globe. The fact we can switch the attention north of the border as a new epicentre is nothing to cringe at.

If we were discussing maple syrup and hockey then there would be no need to discuss what our U.S friends think about us but they weren'y. They were discussing creative markets that have been primarily driven by the U.S for decades and decades.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 7:17 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
That was pretty much the exact response I was expecting on this forum to that video. LOL. Which is why video like that are needed.
Dude, i'm one of the biggest Toronto boosters on here (at least according to some) and even I found it half-assed and cringeworthy. There's better vids out there.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 6:30 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 11:35 PM

this is probably the best video i've seen of Vancouver. captures street life really well and beautifully shot in 4K.
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 11:54 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post

this is probably the best video i've seen of Vancouver. captures street life really well...
I couldn't disagree more. With the exception of a brief snip here and there, this video appears to be a study of Vancouver on an early Sunday morning. It's not representative of typical Vancouver street life at all, outside some of the most sedate times of the day, week, season and locales that one could possibly find.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:42 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:54 PM

If you hate heights don't watch this.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 9:05 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
this is probably the best video i've seen of Vancouver. captures street life really well and beautifully shot in 4K.
Video Link
I dunno if the camera footage is that great but in 4k I feel like I can reach through my monitor and touch things, it screws with my brain.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 8:57 PM

Bow Trail/9 Ave S in Calgary:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 9:02 PM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokkei Mizu View Post
Bow Trail/9 Ave S in Calgary:

Video Link
Thanks, interesting video. Seems like there is a lot of suburban style development going into the city. Nice to see a commercial stretch passing downtown. Does Calgary have a few of these types of commercial stretches outside the immediate downtown?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 11:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

She made a very cute video. I love that she caught snippets inside the Bagel Cafe and Sebastien Court. And she set it to local bands.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada