HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 1:04 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

perhaps the lack of high rises is an issue in North Vancouver, but i snapped these pictures of the crane at the low rise 1133 Lonsdale:

from my apartment window:

this one also has the cranes from the development on Chesterfield and 13 Street

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 2:05 AM
Perpetual I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
perhaps the lack of high rises is an issue in North Vancouver,...
Good Lord, don't let Ivan Leonard and the rest of his NIMBYs hear you say that!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 10:01 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Ivan Leonard and his NIMBY friends can kiss my ass lol.

North Vancouver needs to start thinking about what its going to look like in 30 years. the Central Lonsdale corridor could be booming with mid rise office towers (12 - 20 floors), and high rise condo towers right now if it weren't for the NIMBYs.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 12:09 AM
Van City

I know that its not North Van... but does anyone have any idea whats going on with the Evelyn development on Taylor Way? It seems like its just been dirt forever!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 12:33 AM

It was on hold but I actually saw workers there today. I don't know what the deal is as to the best of my knowledge it is still on hold and the developer Millennium still has financial difficulties.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 7:32 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

That's correct it's on hold, until the spring is the latest info. Personally I don't think there will be any movement there till the following spring, why would Millennium start spending money they don't have on improvements that could be forfeited to the COV if the olympic village doesn't end up covering it's bills.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Ivan Leonard and his NIMBY friends can kiss my ass lol.

North Vancouver needs to start thinking about what its going to look like in 30 years. the Central Lonsdale corridor could be booming with mid rise office towers (12 - 20 floors), and high rise condo towers right now if it weren't for the NIMBYs.
take away office space for the downtown core - isnt that blasphemy in here?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:11 AM
See ya down under, mates

So I go by the pier waterfront development every day at around 3pm and I still haven't seen any signs of life. If I didn't read this board I'd assume the hotel was still on hold. What's the deal?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 9:05 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
take away office space for the downtown core - isnt that blasphemy in here?
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! don't tell anyone!!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 8:11 PM
Perpetual I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
So I go by the pier waterfront development every day at around 3pm and I still haven't seen any signs of life. If I didn't read this board I'd assume the hotel was still on hold. What's the deal?
I went by on the Lonsdale bus yesterday afternoon and saw workers on site. They must have been waiting for the nice weather.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 10:43 PM
Site 8 Lives

There were certainly construction workers on the site this morning.

In fact, I hate to say it, but this is one tower that I'm not so keen to see rise. That's because it is going to block the view of Burrard Inlet when one is driving/walking down Lonsdale Avenue.

Trevor Boddy trashed this project in the Globe many months ago (calling the hotel project a "gorilla" because of its girth, and his gripe appears to be well-founded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronT120 View Post
I went by on the Lonsdale bus yesterday afternoon and saw workers on site. They must have been waiting for the nice weather.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 10:45 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronT120 View Post
Good Lord, don't let Ivan Leonard and the rest of his NIMBYs hear you say that!
I wonder if Ivan knows there's a forum called Skyscraperpage that actually celebrates highrise architecture! Skyscrapers are to Ivan what kryptonite is to Superman...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 5:36 PM
Perpetual I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
I wonder if Ivan knows there's a forum called Skyscraperpage that actually celebrates highrise architecture! Skyscrapers are to Ivan what kryptonite is to Superman...
Yeah, but Superman is cool...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 12:10 AM
See ya down under, mates

I noticed the grey building directly east of Lonsdale Quay (Cates Marina?) has a fence around it and a redevelopment sign as I went by on the bus today. Anyone know the details? That is some prime real estate.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 1:24 AM
Site 8 Lives

^Could this be it?

"MINUTES OF THE SPECIAL MEETING OF COUNCIL HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, CITY HALL, 141 WEST 14th STREET, NORTH VANCOUVER, B.C., ON MONDAY, APRIL 14, 2008 AT 6:00 P.M.

REPORT OF COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE

Moved by Councillor Heywood, seconded by Councillor Schechter that the following recommendation of the Committee of the Whole in camera be ratified:

3. Cates Tugs / Carrie Cates Court / Lonsdale Waterlot Interim Waterfront Enhancements (Washington Marine Group/Seaspan)

- File: 3380-02
Report: Waterfront Project Manager, April 9, 2008.

PURSUANT to the report of the Waterfront Project Manager, dated April 9, 2008, entitled "Cates Tugs / Carrie Cates Court / Lonsdale Waterlot Interim Waterfront Enhancements (Washington Marin Group/Seaspan)":

THAT the Waterfront Project Manager and Lands Division staff be requested to proceed with a temporary lease extension with Seaspan as outlined in the April 9, 2008 report to achieve interim Lonsdale water lot and Carrie Cates Court streetscape improvements, as outlined in the April 9, 2008 report;
AND THAT $100,000 be included in the Spring 2008 appropriations for the Carrie Cates Court sidewalk improvements which is to be funded from the 2008 capital budget amount set aside for the Foot of Lonsdale Development Project.

CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:02 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I noticed the grey building directly east of Lonsdale Quay (Cates Marina?) has a fence around it and a redevelopment sign as I went by on the bus today. Anyone know the details? That is some prime real estate.
its been like that for about a week now. however, even with Rusty's post, i'm not sure i understand what is going on. i've seen workers coming in and out. so i think its a "business as usual" renovation?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:56 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The District of North Van has issued an RFEOI for the Spirit trail, they are planning on issuing an RFP in Mar/09 and have the design work completed by Summer/09. Don't know when construction will actually start but these type of projects don't take too long once they do get shovels into the ground.

"The District of North Vancouver invites Letters of Expression of Interest from interested consulting firms to carry out the detailed design and tender preparation for the western section of the District of North Vancouver’s Spirit Trail.

The Western Section of the proposed Spirit Trail is envisioned as a 1.4-kilometre long multi-use pathway, extending from the West Vancouver and Squamish Nation boundary in the west to Mackay Road and the City of North Vancouver boundary in the east. It would eventually form part of a 35-kilometre trail from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove. A conceptual design has been prepared and a preferred route selected for this western section that will be provided to the successful firm.
Consulting services provided may include, but are not limited to:
• Landscape architecture;
• Lighting design;
• Sign layout;
• Civil engineering design;
• Traffic engineering;
• Pedestrian bridge design (across Mackay Creek);
• Neighbourhood consultation; and
• Construction supervision."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 4:03 AM

Someone posted the changes to the Cates tugs parking lot a while ago. They're making the sidewalk a bit wider by expanding it into the parking lot, iirc.

Here's a link to the cnv's spirit trail report: http://www.cnv.org/?c=3&i=455
and from the district: http://dnv.org/upload/documents/Comm...Memorandum.pdf

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 11:06 PM

It's to make the front sidewalk more pedestrian friendly, it is part of the Spirit Trail ? Took some pics of it.

Apparently they recently opened the part of the Spirit Trail that is on Native Land. Where is this exactly?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 11:11 PM

I have a contest for us North Vancouverites.

Where is this store? I Stumbled upon it. Its in a weird spot.

I blocked out the parts that would give it away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley