HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Any such list omitting Asia (China, Japan, Korea) is basically click-bait garbage.

Albany but not Seoul? Come fucking on.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:26 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I read the link. Bigger and faster does not mean better. China is massive. There are more people within its middle class than the US has people...so of course the potential is huge but 2013 is only 4 years ago. It will take China decade(s) to foment a thriving culture of innovation of its own to truly be on par with the US or Europe. The Chinese government also is very protectionist which enabled companies like Alibaba, Renren and Tencent have grown into behemoths.

decades? Watch the vids, it's already overtaken in innovation in e-commerce, payment/ transfers, communications, hardware, item share and social media in those 4 years.

China is now the worlds second largest venture capital market, and the first in terms of VC internet. New companies are proliferating at over 20% growth a year - in 2015 alone adding 12,000 new companies a day, and second in number of unicorns (billion dollar start-ups), soon no doubt to be the first. Beijing alone, the software capital (Shenzhen is the hardware city) sees 200,000 new graduates every year.

Beijing is the nest of a majority of China’s unicorns, top talents and the focus of venture capital and is known to be the Silicon Valley of China. Shanghai and its surrounding cities – Hangzhou and Suzhou – are fostering companies in the field of e-commerce, digital services and social media. Shenzhen, on the other hand, has a long history of being the pilot zone for a more open market economy in China and the hub of hardware innovations and OEM manufacturers.

Thanks to the increased internet of things in the vast domestic market, and open sourcing all its new tech, start -ups grow and develop far quicker than outside:

Beijing for software - if you want the latest invention, its movement recognition software - and even crime/ behaviour prediction.

Video Link

Shenzhen (9 months ahead of the rest of the world) for hardware - this is where some inventions which have crossed the Great Firewall came from, from e-cigarettes to hover boards/ wheels, 3D hardware to NG drones, from the latest commercial robots to the world's most advanced trains, 'smart' everything from tvs to sports equipment to e-cars. Like the Chinese internet/ software giants, it's all going open source:

Video Link

The problem with penetrating the global market is that whatever succeeds massively in China is already copied by the rest of the world when they try to roll it out there.

Last edited by muppet; Oct 16, 2017 at 8:10 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Any such list omitting Asia (China, Japan, Korea) is basically click-bait garbage.

Albany but not Seoul? Come fucking on.
Asia doesn't seem to be the focus of the book the OP link is referencing except perhaps as the prevailing counterpoint where everyone seems to be assuming innovation is now happening.

Once again I provide the blurb for the book since reading comprehension is clearly in short supply here recently

Quote:
The remarkable story of how rustbelt cities such as Akron and Albany in the United States and Eindhoven in Europe are becoming the unlikely hotspots of global innovation, where sharing brainpower and making things smarter—not cheaper—is creating a new economy that is turning globalization on its head

Antoine van Agtmael and Fred Bakker counter recent conventional wisdom that the American and northern European economies have lost their initiative in innovation and their competitive edge by focusing on an unexpected and hopeful trend: the emerging sources of economic strength coming from areas once known as “rustbelts” that had been written off as yesterday's story.

In these communities, a combination of forces—visionary thinkers, local universities, regional government initiatives, start-ups, and big corporations—have created “brainbelts.” Based on trust, a collaborative style of working, and freedom of thinking prevalent in America and Europe, these brainbelts are producing smart products that are transforming industries by integrating IT, sensors, big data, new materials, new discoveries, and automation. From polymers to medical devices, the brainbelts have turned the tide from cheap, outsourced production to making things smart right in our own backyard. The next emerging market may, in fact, be the West.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:47 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
decades? Watch the vids, it's already overtaken in innovation in e-commerce, payment/ transfers, communications, hardware, item share and social media in those 4 years.

China is now the worlds second largest venture capital market, and the first in terms of VC internet. New companies are proliferating at over 20% growth a year - in 2015 alone adding 12,000 new companies a day, and second in number of unicorns (billion dollar start-ups), soon no doubt to be the first. Beijing alone, the software capital (Shenzhen is the hardware city) sees 200,000 new graduates every year.

Beijing is the nest of a majority of China’s unicorns, top talents and the focus of venture capital and is known to be the Silicon Valley of China. Shanghai and its surrounding cities – Hangzhou and Suzhou – are fostering companies in the field of e-commerce, digital services and social media. Shenzhen, on the other hand, has a long history of being the pilot zone for a more open market economy in China and the hub of hardware innovations and OEM manufacturers.

Thanks to the increased internet of things in the vast domestic market, start -ups grow far quicker:

Beijing for software
Video Link

Shenzhen (9 months ahead of the rest of the world) for hardware
Video Link
I'm not disputing any of this but it's going to take more than 5 or so years for the Chinese to achieve what everyone else has taken decades to accomplish. The Chinese have already proven to be leaders in certain industries such as EV technology and will probably wind up dominating the global market and the've also made strides in teleportation technology...but countries like the US have an extensive, well established innovation hub took years to evolve from cooperation between academia, the private sector and the government/ military establishment.

China just now got started with this.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:04 PM

^^^^
In other words this really isn't about intelligence at all.

Next!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
The state kicks serious ass as far as research universities go...

2017 US News
Global Universities Ranking

#1 Harvard
#2 MIT
#3 Stanford
#4 UC Berkeley
#5 Cal Tech

#6 Oxford
#7 Cambridge
#8 Princeton
#9 Columbia
#10 UC Los Angeles
#11 Johns Hopkins
#12 U of Washington
#13 U of Chicago
#14 Yale
#15 UC San Diego
#16 UC San Francisco
#24 UC Santa Barbara
#27 UC Santa Cruz
#42 UC Davis

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ankings?page=5
While I don't doubt that CA has an amazing concentration of universities, the above ranking is pretty far off in terms of most of the publicized rankings and public perceptions.

I mean, Yale and Princeton and Columbia are ranked the same as UCSF, which is basically a medical school/health sciences graduate school? UCSB and UCSC are top 30 on the planet? No way. They aren't even top 30 in U.S.

Stanford is the only CA university that every publication will agree should be at or near the very top. Caltech will always be very high, and Berkeley is usually ranked the top U.S. public university. The others aren't near the top.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Asia doesn't seem to be the focus of the book the OP link is referencing except perhaps as the prevailing counterpoint where everyone seems to be assuming innovation is now happening.

Once again I provide the blurb for the book since reading comprehension is clearly in short supply here recently

Hey there Mr. Classical Conditioning, since reading comprehension is clearly in short supply, I will re post the list.

put that in your mouth and salivate. I can ring the bell for you.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:00 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
While I don't doubt that CA has an amazing concentration of universities, the above ranking is pretty far off in terms of most of the publicized rankings and public perceptions.

I mean, Yale and Princeton and Columbia are ranked the same as UCSF, which is basically a medical school/health sciences graduate school? UCSB and UCSC are top 30 on the planet? No way. They aren't even top 30 in U.S.

Stanford is the only CA university that every publication will agree should be at or near the very top. Caltech will always be very high, and Berkeley is usually ranked the top U.S. public university. The others aren't near the top.
Sorry but their methodology is pretty legit.
Quote:
Global research reputation
Weight: 12.5%
Regional research reputation
Publications
Weight: 10%
Books
Weight: 2.5%
Conferences
Weight: 2.5%
Normalized citation impact
Total citations
Weight: 7.5%
Number of publications that are among the 10 percent most cited
Percentage of total publications that are among the 10 percent most cited
International collaboration
Number of highly cited papers that are among the top 1 percent most cited in their respective field
Weight: 5%
Percentage of total publications that are among the top 1 percent most highly cited papers

Weight: 5%https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...es/methodology
Also, as far as Berkeley, when it comes to it's collective grad schools, Cal rivals if not tops Yale and Princeton.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 11:31 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm not disputing any of this but it's going to take more than 5 or so years for the Chinese to achieve what everyone else has taken decades to accomplish. The Chinese have already proven to be leaders in certain industries such as EV technology and will probably wind up dominating the global market and the've also made strides in teleportation technology...but countries like the US have an extensive, well established innovation hub took years to evolve from cooperation between academia, the private sector and the government/ military establishment.

China just now got started with this.
Watch the Wired vid to see why the Chinese market can (and has) leapfrogged the decades of development into only 4 years. It's basically an open source ecosystem.

Networking & sharing > monopoly

Basically 26% of Silicon Valley tech comes from Shenzhen now in those few years, because of this almost accidental ecosystem (built on 30 years of manufacturing politics).

Last edited by muppet; Aug 19, 2017 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
So while Albany shouldn't be on this list, I'll defend it somewhat and say it's a pretty big location for the semiconductor industry, and has a bunch of good nearby engineering schools (RPI, Union, SUNY Poly).

It's not a top center, but not a random town, either. There are a fair amount of "brainy" jobs for a small metro, and the economy is good for Upstate standards.
I don't know to what degree those were locally-biased but I've seen sources that put Bromont, QC's semiconductor operations in the same broader Upstate NY tech corridor as the big IBM plant in Essex, VT and what's around Albany.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Yeah, I'm going to have to side on the "we need more innovation coming out of Asia" argument here. I can't speak too much on China, but could write a book on why Japan and South Korea aren't pumping out tech innovations. But two of the main reasons are:

- Both are supremely risk-adverse societies, and innovation requires taking a risk
- Both educational systems emphasize rote memorization from pre-school through uni graduation over critical thinking
These factors are observable and having real effects even outside of East Asia. It's well known in my own field (physics) that people who grew up there don't tend to think outside the box. Generally speaking of course but it's very noticeable unless you want to be blind about it. Clearly a product of their school systems' orientation and school of thought.

Among the examples I recall UCSD at the graduate/postgraduate level is apparently very bad for that; same thing with that uni in Sydney, Australia one of my good friends went to. UBC as well, but that's more secondhand in my case. Universities in Eastern Canada don't have very high proportions of East Asians who went to school there rather than here among their grads but it was also noticeable.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 1:58 AM

Last edited by Urbana; Feb 26, 2024 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Networking & sharing > monopoly
Mwah, ha ha ha, this sounds beautiful.
Basics of economics... It sticks to good old religion and faith very closely too, huh.

Wait, I'll translate it this way.

Networking & sharing fuck monopoly.

This is more clear to everyone.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:54 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
I am also a Physicist. I have heard various professors attribute certain patterns in students to the prevalence of lab equipment in US high schools and undergraduate programs that give US students an edge in experimental work. Furthermore, they also attribute to this to the equally clear pattern that east asian students are often very gifted theorists - theoretical discussions dominate when there are fewer available lab resources to mess around with.

That being said, I have know many many talented condensed matter experimentalists who are from China. I think it is best interpreted as a cultural edge in favor of westerners rather than a hard and fast rule.

Mind you, the profs who I have discussed this with (among them the department head of a top 15 program), have expressed how quickly this is changing. The students coming out of Tsinghua, for instance, are becoming very common and competitive in US experimental groups.
I suppose in a connected world where institutions can learn from each other, the best thing any program can do is at least study what their competitors are doing right.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind this is solely based on research universities to which I would agree. Unlike most other popular publications, which are focused on undergrad programs and use completely different criteria like faculty to studio ratios and undergrad retainment, this is primarily about research. The whole UC system is based on research versus the CSU (Cali State Uni) system. UCSF is a highly regarded medical research university.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:32 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Intellectual property by country

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...05348711300506

Japan, not China, is the powerhouse of east Asian intellectual property, followed by S Korea.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:24 AM
The New Republic

An opinion piece came out a few months ago from McKinsey and Company regarding Canada's potential in the field of AI (Artificial Intelligence). McKinsey and Company is a global consulting management firm based in New York City.

Quote:
Canada has a chance to monopolize the artificial intelligence industry

There's no doubt that Canada could lead the planet in artificial intelligence (AI). Canadian academics such as Geoffrey Hinton and Yoshua Bengio essentially created the field of deep learning and put Canada on the map; today, Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal are globally important centres of AI research. The best AI talent in the world is also increasingly coming to Canada to launch AI businesses such as integrate.ai and others.

All these companies and researchers are convinced of the technology's enormous commercial potential. If AI develops like other technologies, most of these benefits will flow to the country that builds the first good ecosystem.

Full article: https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...beandmail.com&

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions