Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 3:40 PM

Winnipeg at 18.
At the beginning of July we were at 13.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 12:55 AM
I am a typical

Latest from the country's murder capital:

Quote:
Sister looking for answers in brother’s death

Laurie Troutlake said she believes her brother, Leroy Troutlake, was murdered, but police have not laid any charges and the case was labelled as a sudden death investigation. The Thunder Bay Police criminal investigation branch is working with the regional coroner and the investigation is ongoing.

Police were first called to an Athens Drive address on the evening of Mar. 26, 2017, where Troutlake was found deceased. Thunder Bay Police said in a media release issued on Mar. 29, 2017 that preliminary results from a post mortem examination were inconclusive.

Leroy’s sister believes her brother was murdered because of the condition of his body when he was found by a friend.

“When one of his friends found him, he said he looked like he got murdered,” she said. “He was beaten, his neck was swollen and sideways, or twisted or something. There was lots of blood in that room. Like he was trying to get out from that room.”
Yet another dead teenager:

Quote:
UPDATE: Body found near Marina Park ruled suspicious

The body of a male was found near the Marina Park Overpass at McVicar Creek. Police were seen carrying the body up from the direction of the lakeshore Sunday morning. The Thunder Bay Police Service forensic unit was also on the scene.

"The investigation right now is treating it as a suspicious death," said Chris Adams, director of communications with the Thunder Bay Police Service. "There is a post mortem that is pending in Toronto. The body has been transported to Toronto today and it should be in the next couple of days. It all depends on the case load the coroner has in Toronto."

According to a Thunder Bay Police media release, police received a 911 call at approximately 8:40 a.m. on Sunday by a passerby who discovered the body of the deceased male.

Police have identified the man as 18-year-old Brayden Moonias of Thunder Bay.

Adams was not able to disclose where Moonias was found or if he was found in the water or on shore.

A 52-year-old male was also found injured by EMS crews Sunday morning in the vicinity of McVicar Creek near Marina Park and was transported to hospital where he is still being treated. Adams said he does not want to speculate if the two incidents are related at this point in time.

Not in Thunder Bay, but regional:

Man charged with murder in death of KI woman

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 1:19 AM

^How many has Thunder Bay had so far this year?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:05 AM
I am a typical

Officially, 4.

March 21: Body Found #1 ("all possibilities open" but police never publicly concluded this investigation)

March 26: Body Found #2 (Family claims it was murder, police haven't released any information)

May 9: Body Found #3 (Evidence that was leaked to social media suggests it was a homicide, but police said it was an accidental drowning before admitting the case was still open. Indigenous youth death #8 since 2000)

May 18: Body Found #4 (Possible suicide; family refused to allow coroners report to be published. Indigenous youth death #9 since 2000)

May 22: Homicide #1 (Gang warfare involving one of the Ottawa gangs present in the city. Suspects arrested.)

June 8: Body Found #5 (Possible drug overdose? Police have issued no follow-ups to this case.)

June 27: Body Found #6 (Parents believe it was a murder; police have said nothing)

July 2: Homicide #2 and #3 (Double murder. Suspects arrested.)

July 6: Homicide #4 (Homeless individuals in an area frequented by the homeless; suspects arrested.)

August 6: Body Found #7 (Homeless individuals in an area frequented by the homeless; Indigenous youth death #10 since 2000)

10 suspicious deaths in total so far. Except for the one involving Ottawa gangs, all of the known individuals in these cases are aboriginal.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:10 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

What takes them so long in making determinations about suspicious deaths? Seems like a lot.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:15 AM
I am a typical

We don't know.

The city boasts about having one of the highest solved homicide rates in Canada (something like 95% of all homicides that have ever occurred here have been solved within a year) but that's an easy statistic to reach if you only declare the easy cases to be homicides in the first place. My uncle's homicide in 2007 was downgraded from manslaughter to accidental death after the trial when they failed to find a guilty party, so that's another issue that we're having here.

There are accusations of racism in the police force (and we know that at least some of them are true, since active duty officers have been caught posting racist things on Facebook and emailing racist things to each other) but I don't understand why they would go out of their way to not declare these deaths a homicide if they truly were. And they're not saying anything about drug or alcohol abuse in any of these cases. They pop up in the news as sudden and often suspicious deaths and then we never hear about them again.

BTW you responded as I was editing the post, I forgot the most recent suspicious death.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:26 AM
I am a typical

Basically, there is a lot that goes unsaid and the legal troubles we're having with the mayor and chief of police (unrelated to the city's crime problem; the mayor tried to blackmail a lawyer into buying a house for his friend with threats of going to be police with accusations of paedophilia and the chief of police got himself caught in the middle by sharing information he shouldn't have with one of them and now they're all suspended from their jobs) are not helping the situation at all. I've heard both that the police force is "doing just fine" and "in complete demoralized disarray" so I honestly don't know who to believe anymore. I haven't actually seen a police officer in person for months, they used to walk my street regularly and they've since disappeared.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:12 AM

Those stats from Thunder Bay are quite unbelievable, even 4 homicides for its population would give it the highest rate of CMAs so far in 2017. But if all those suspicious deaths are homicides, then its nearly triple that of second place.
Is gun violence at all an issue in Thunder Bay?

Timeline of Winnipeg's homicides so far, IC (Inner City), NIC (Non-Inner City):

#1. January 4 (IC)
#2. January 19 (IC)
#3. February 6 (IC)
#4. February 8 (IC)
#5. February 14 (NIC)
#6. March 10 (IC)
#7. March 13 (IC)
#8. March 14 (IC)
#9. April 10 (IC)
#10. May 23 (IC)
#11. June 17 (IC)
#12. June 18 (IC)
#13. June 21 (IC)
#14. July 16 (IC)
#15. July 21 (IC)
#16. July 27 (IC)
#17. August 4 (IC)
#18. August 6 (NIC)

2017 data (so far):
Inner City Homicide Rate: 11.9/100,000
Non-Inner City Homicide Rate: 0.4/100,000

2016 data:
Inner City Homicide Rate: 14.1/100,000
Non-Inner City Homicide Rate: 1.1/100,000

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:51 AM
I am a typical

Regarding this latest death, the deceased is the son of a murder victim from 2014 (he was 15 at the time). That year we had 11 homicides and several suspicious deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Is gun violence at all an issue in Thunder Bay?
Not at all. Gun violence is rare here even with the gangs from Ottawa moving into the city. The vast majority of our homicides are stabbings or violent physical assaults.

Also, unlike Winnipeg, our homicides are no longer limited to the inner city. Most still occur there, but of the 11 cases I listed above, 4 occurred in our inner city (one was in a middle class neighbourhood adjacent to downtown Fort William), two occurred in a business/industrial park we call Intercity (located between Port Arthur and Fort William), and five occurred in suburban areas. Between Port Arthur and Fort William, there were 6 in Port Arthur, 3 in Fort William and 2 in Intercity. Go back 10 years and the vast majority of our homicides occurred in a single neighbourhood in Fort William's inner city (my neighbourhood). In the past decade, only 3 or 4 homicides have happened here. We used to have three every year. So while our area has improved, the rest of the city has gotten much worse.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 8:36 PM
HVAC guru

Edmonton now at 33 after a man who was shot in the morth west side of town died from his injuries. Drug related from the sound of it

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 12:15 AM
I am a typical

The most recent suspicious death in Thunder Bay was ruled a homicide today. This is number 5 for 2017, and the second homicide to occur in this location in just over a month.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 3:51 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ So, your chances of being murdered in TB are probably higher than your chances of winning the lottery, right?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 3:58 AM
I am a typical

Higher than winning a million+ jackpot, that only happens about 2 or 3 times a year. I actually know of some people who have won the lottery, they tend to move into the bush and keep to themselves.

(By move into the bush, I mean build a large house on a lakefront country estate lot and hide there.)

I've also heard Thunder Bay has more millionaires per capita than almost anywhere else in Canada, which seems plausible. The exurban fringe around the city is very expansive, around 1000sqkm, and full of large houses on giant properties. I've found that in many cases, small business owners that you wouldn't think are millionaires are, and those who you think would be are not.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 7:53 PM

Winnipeg at 19. One more than at this time last year.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3667963/po...d-of-winnipeg/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Winnipeg at 19. One more than at this time last year.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3667963/po...d-of-winnipeg/
This is the 20th homicide of the year.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
This is the 20th homicide of the year.
The WPS Crime Map shows 18 homicides from Jan. 1 to Aug. 12, CBC seems to have the number one higher than the actual count. Perhaps they are including a case that was opened this year for a previous homicide?

http://www.winnipeg.ca/police/crimestat/map.aspx

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Winnipeg at 18.
At the beginning of July we were at 13.
And let's see how many are aboriginal and how many are every other race. I bet 80% aboriginal. This is what skews winnipegs stats all the time. Same as Regina and ThunderBay.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
And let's see how many are aboriginal and how many are every other race. I bet 80% aboriginal. This is what skews winnipegs stats all the time. Same as Regina and ThunderBay.
And? ....

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 3:41 AM
I am a typical

There is no and. It's a problem even aboriginal people admit to having, though they put it (correctly) within the context of settler-colonialism and the negative affects of the Residential School System. Almost all of the aboriginals involved in severe substance abuse and homicides in Thunder Bay are residential school survivors, or the children of residential school survivors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada