HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:12 AM
I am a typical

AJ, y u no on msn?

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:33 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
AJ, y u no on msn?
it won't sign in

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:32 AM

I found out that another one of my old childhood friends just moved out of the city to St. Andrews. That makes almost everyone I know from my childhood who has either moved away from Manitoba, or has at least left the city. That really depresses me, and should depress anyone from Winnipeg, because that is about 30-40 people in their early 20's who have left because Winnipeg didn't offer enough to keep them here. I am going to mull over my thoughts for a bit before I go to sleep.

It's good to be back though, I have been really enjoying the city since my return.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I found out that another one of my old childhood friends just moved out of the city to St. Andrews. That makes almost everyone I know from my childhood who has either moved away from Manitoba, or has at least left the city. That really depresses me, and should depress anyone from Winnipeg, because that is about 30-40 people in their early 20's who have left because Winnipeg didn't offer enough to keep them here. I am going to mull over my thoughts for a bit before I go to sleep.

It's good to be back though, I have been really enjoying the city since my return.
Someone needs to investigate what St. Andrew's has that we don't...

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:17 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
When you are in your 20s you don't care about things like stability, community or cost of living. You want to run out, experience another city and see/do new things.

Done that. Been there. Spent almost 9 years in Calgary and then got married, had a son and things quickly changed.

We wanted my wife to be able to stay at home with our son, we wanted other family and friends nearby and wanted to live somewhere other than a suburb far away from everything.

I came back to Winnipeg with my wife and son in tow and we are all much happier here. My wife actually likes Winnipeg more than Calgary.

Give it 10 years and you will see a number of those people come back. Especially those whose families are still here.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
When you are in your 20s you don't care about things like stability, community or cost of living. You want to run out, experience another city and see/do new things.

Done that. Been there. Spent almost 9 years in Calgary and then got married, had a son and things quickly changed.

We wanted my wife to be able to stay at home with our son, we wanted other family and friends nearby and wanted to live somewhere other than a suburb far away from everything.

I came back to Winnipeg with my wife and son in tow and we are all much happier here. My wife actually likes Winnipeg more than Calgary.

Give it 10 years and you will see a number of those people come back. Especially those whose families are still here.
The fact of the matter is that Manitoba still lacks opportunity hence the fact that out migration to other provinces still exists. Spending is out of control and there is no clear plan to make manitoba competative ie: by reducing taxes ( highest taxes west of quebec). Until this changes few people will move back and the trend of out migration will continue.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:28 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
The fact of the matter is that Manitoba still lacks opportunity hence the fact that out migration still exists. Spending is out of control and there is no clear plan to make manitoba competative ie: by reducing taxes ( highest taxes west of quebec). Until this changes few people will move back and the trend of out migration will continue.
We all know how Saskatchewan has managed to cut taxes improve their revenues, and obviously these same opportunities don't exist in Manitoba.

Given that, resource riches not withstanding, things are very similar between our two provinces, how do you propose Manitoba affords to reduce taxes to become competitive with our Western neighbours?

Perhaps you know of a revenue stream that Manitoba hasn't managed to tap into yet?

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:47 PM
Hmm....

I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are (I'm sure they are a little biased), but from the sounds of it Manitoba charges less than market rates for power, so if market rates were charged, Manitoba could have more revenue that it could use to lower taxes and such. (I don't think that a race to the lowest tax rates is a good thing though).

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
We all know how Saskatchewan has managed to cut taxes improve their revenues, and obviously these same opportunities don't exist in Manitoba.

Given that, resource riches not withstanding, things are very similar between our two provinces, how do you propose Manitoba affords to reduce taxes to become competitive with our Western neighbours?

Perhaps you know of a revenue stream that Manitoba hasn't managed to tap into yet?
First get ride of the ndp. all they do is waste money and bloat the public service. next review all government services to make sure inefficiencies are reduced or eliminated. tackle the out of control spending.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
First get ride of the ndp. all they do is waste money and bloat the public service. next review all government services to make sure inefficiencies are reduced or eliminated. tackle the out of control spending.
Will do Michael. I'm sure if the export prices for Hydro jump 500% in the next few years, or our other natural resources jump 200 - 300%, Manitoba will be right back on track...

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Will do Michael. I'm sure if the export prices for Hydro jump 500% in the next few years, or our other natural resources jump 200 - 300%, Manitoba will be right back on track...
This link pretty much highlights what i've said in my previous comments. Its from a few years ago but the meaning is there.

http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/792

Making Manitoba a have province.
http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/3915

Revitilizing manitoba.
http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/3916

Manitoba's cycle of Dependancy
http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/3859

Last edited by micheal; May 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:08 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Hydro is HARDLY the cash cow that many make it out to be.

The entire generating capacity of Manitoba Hydro is around 4500 MWh. That is all hydro and steam generation throughout the province.

Lets assume a GENEROUS price of $80/MWh. This is higher than the average $50-75 range but it will prove my point without people arguing over market prices.

4500MWh * 24 hours * 365 days * $80 = $3.15 billion

So the raw power alone at an inflated market price can generate just over $3 billion in GROSS revenue. Now subtract the overhead costs like transmission, local delivery, staffing, dam construction/financing, interest/repayment on capital debts and other operating expenses and the remaining profit is actually pretty meager.

Compare that with the nearly $2 billion in oil royalties and $1.4 billion in potash royalties that Saskachewan brought in (2008-2009) from the companies exploiting the resources in the province. Considering the Saskatchewan provincial budget is about $10 billion it must be pretty nice to get over 1/3 of it from resource royalties.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:19 PM

Quote:
This link pretty much highlights what i've said in my previous comments. Its from a few years ago but the meaning is there.

http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/792

Making Manitoba a have province.
http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/3915

Revitilizing manitoba.
http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/3916

Manitoba's cycle of Dependancy
http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/3859
Frontier Centre. eh? That's totally unbiased.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Frontier Centre. eh? That's totally unbiased.
They make common sense though.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:02 PM

Here is a list of all the Taxes charged by the Manitoba government. I provided it this morning. I hope to create comparisons for it later. I highlighted in yellow all those that apply to normal citizens. Manitoba seems to have -with just a general comparison- some of the worst income tax rates in the country.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:09 PM

Scratch that looking at it perspectively Manitoba has better income tax rates than most Provinces I will post back with a comparison chart later.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Scratch that looking at it perspectively Manitoba has better income tax rates than most Provinces I will post back with a comparison chart later.
Don't forget the basic personal amount, though.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:13 PM

Manitoba also appears to have a better corporate tax rate then Saskatchewan.

However, there are more variables. For instance, there's the payroll tax, right?

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:28 PM

Provincial taxes for a family of 4 making $75K in 2012 are
SK: $3,965

MB: $

Source Sask Budget http://www.finance.gov.sk.ca/budget2...getSummary.pdf

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:42 PM

Manitoba seems to rank first and second in projected GDP Growth over the next two years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan