HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 7:10 AM

Arcades and Pedestrian Streets / Areas

I did not want to continue spamming other various threads with this topic so I decided to make a dedicated thread about the issue.

It has often puzzled me how an area such as Vancouver, with its rainy / drizzly climate and focus on pedestrian activity has essentially no arcades (closest that I can think of are the Broadway / Commercial Hub and the Vancouver City Library.

Now, I am not advocating that all pedestrian only streets / areas should be covered with an arcade, or even the entire length of a single such street, but they could be very useful in a few key locations.

A few have even been proposed but so far none have materialized (The poorly named "Robson Clam-shell," the now in limbo Oakridge Mall redevelopment which proposed an arcade covering a large area near the station entrance, and the new Lougheed Town Centre proposal with a small arcade also near the station, which I doubt will actually make it to the final product).

As I have mentioned before such arcades are common throughout Japan and are often bustling with foot traffic and entertainment. I do not live near any of the massive Japanese cities but I do live near Takamatsu.

Takamatsu is an urban area of about 500 000 people and has a wonderful central commercial / entertainment district with 3 main arcade streets (the longest around 2km long). All three of them are pedestrian only (service vehicles can enter at times) and have various day and night shopping and entertainment venues. They are kept clean by city staff.

Each street is unique and showcases three different varieties of pedestrian only arcades.

Here is the oldest version. This street is largely bars and night clubs with some hobby shops, smoke shops, and liquor stores. While I feel something like this would be nice in a few of our alley ways this is probably the form I would recommend the least for Vancouver (given our homeless problem and overly strict regulations regarding entertainment).

I took these photos in the mid afternoon before most of the shops, clubs, restaurants and bars opened.

Takamatsu Arcade by Ian, on Flickr

The next form is an intermediate form. A little more open and is mostly home supply stores, some restaurants, clothing stores, and karaoke bars. Bike riding is allowed but most be done at a slow and safe speed. No zipping through shoppers.

Here is the form that I think would be wonderful in Metro-Vancouver. Again, not everywhere, but in a few key areas. Nice multi-level shopping, restaurants, boutique shops, luxury stores, and even supper markets. The arcades are elegant, tall, and open in feeling. Greenery can be added and there are several key plazas for public events.

Marugame-Machi, Takamatsu by Ian, on Flickr

Marugame-Machi, Takamatsu by Ian, on Flickr

Also please note the wonderful attention to the masonry along the street. Great attention to quality and detail.

Again, I do not think that these are needed everywhere, but a few key spots could add some nice variety and texture to our urban form. I am tired of seeing every master planned community proposal (Metrotown, Surrey City Centre, NEFC, etc...) being the exact same carbon copy point towers on mixed use podiums along nondescript streets.

One of these such areas in Metrotown and downtown would be great IMO. Yes, I am sure there would be some issues that would need to be worked out, but nothing that couldn't be solved.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 7:26 AM

Totally agree with you. I've been to some of these in Osaka and Kobe and was very impressed. Essentially, an entire street or alley the length of several city blocks is covered providing a great pedestrian space below that is very attractive to shoppers and people to simply to hang out at a space other than another mall or lawn.

Vancouver would do well with some of these pedestrian arcades for sure. They could sprinkle some Vancouver flavour like YVR has done so well with. Places like Gastown would be nice with something like this.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 7:33 AM

Might work in some outdoor malls that seem to be the latest trend. Park Royal Village, YVR outlet mall.

The problem with Robson might be the irregular storefronts/building and designing shelter that would be protective from the elements and not being a giant eyesore.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Might work in some outdoor malls that seem to be the latest trend. Park Royal Village, YVR outlet mall.

The problem with Robson might be the irregular storefronts/building and designing shelter that would be protective from the elements and not being a giant eyesore.
This is why I think that the Metrotown master plan should involve at least one of these.

For Robson I would not recommend them for the entire length, but maybe just a key block or two or even just one block and plaza.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 9:34 AM

The City of Lougheed plan called for a lengthy 'galleria' running most of the length of the site (in addition to a covered plaza by the station), but yes, who knows what makes it into the final product.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 10:29 AM

love those examples.

wouldnt this alley make for a great small one

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 10:31 AM

i'd also think one under the skytrain tracks from metrotown station east for at least the length to the intersection could be a cool one, make some pads for food tracks, some tables and chairs, good lighting, a place to go other then inside the mall.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 2:09 PM

That alley is actually one of the areas I was thinking of. Sadly it would also be one of the most challenging spots though, in not having it become a de facto homeless shelter given its location. It would need to include several cafe type business to have it kept clear, but we should not let our failure to deal with our homeless problem limit us from having nice public spaces / features (seeing how the same reasoning could be used for not installing nice street furnishings).

A plaza type location along Robson would be easier to implement, as would under the sky train guideway in the suburbs as you have suggested. Somewhere on Granville Island could also work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMD View Post
The City of Lougheed plan called for a lengthy 'galleria' running most of the length of the site (in addition to a covered plaza by the station), but yes, who knows what makes it into the final product.
Yeah, I hope they follow through with that, having an arcade with one of these major mall redevelopments would be a nice stepping stone to break the ice. But the most interesting features in these projects always seem to be cut somewhere along the line. These mall redevelopments would also be the safest locations for such features in keeping them clean.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 9:44 AM

Apparently this is what won or will be getting done for Blood Alley

Design concept for Blood Alley Square redesign revealed
MAY 22, 2019 BY PETER MEISZNER
https://urbanyvr.com/blood-alley-square-redesign

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues