HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:05 PM
-

The height limit is why because otherwise it would be taller ... I don't know 100% about the finish yet

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
I would suggest making it dog friendly too. Almost every place that allows pets is bursting at the seams (930, Hibernia tower...) and even most condos in the area now don't allow them.
It will certainly be pet friendly. One of the benefits of this particular location is that it is right on St marys Park. The residents will get a great spot to bring dogs and we dont even have to pay for it!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Love the exterior. My only change would be to make the bottom floor a few feet taller - but I know that costs $$.

If you're doing a restaurant/lounge on the bottom floor just make sure there's plenty of insulation/sound dampening between that and the next floor, or a taller ground floor will help that too.
Blitzen this is a huge issue to me and will be making sure that noise isnt a problem not only from the restaurant but between units as well. One of the benefits of ground up construction is that you can employ better more efficient sound dampening technologies. One element we are using is called acoustiblok.

Im also planning to use keyless entry in all units, nest control thermostats, phillips hue lightbulbs in all the common areas. The garage will be wired so that anyone can charge their electric vehicle(its a metered setup so the HOA wont be stuck with this bill), all units will have gas ranges for cooking, tankless water heaters. The rooftop common area will have some pretty cool features such as access to this orange door entertainment system for the rooftop projection system(www.orangedoormusic.com)
Some things Im still considering are a remote concierge system, some rooftop gardening, and an atm in the lobby. For to me to adopt a technology it has to be simple stupid, so that If a resident doesnt want to learn to use it they dont have to!

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Blitzen this is a huge issue to me and will be making sure that noise isnt a problem not only from the restaurant but between units as well. One of the benefits of ground up construction is that you can employ better more efficient sound dampening technologies. One element we are using is called acoustiblok.

Im also planning to use keyless entry in all units, nest control thermostats, phillips hue lightbulbs in all the common areas. The garage will be wired so that anyone can charge their electric vehicle(its a metered setup so the HOA wont be stuck with this bill), all units will have gas ranges for cooking, tankless water heaters. The rooftop common area will have some pretty cool features such as access to this orange door entertainment system for the rooftop projection system(www.orangedoormusic.com)
Some things Im still considering are a remote concierge system, some rooftop gardening, and an atm in the lobby. For to me to adopt a technology it has to be simple stupid, so that If a resident doesnt want to learn to use it they dont have to!
Looks great to me. Is your design within current height restrictions or will you need a variance?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 6:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Looks great to me. Is your design within current height restrictions or will you need a variance?
Everything is within current zoning... otherwise id probably have gone higher!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Love the exterior. My only change would be to make the bottom floor a few feet taller - but I know that costs $$.

If you're doing a restaurant/lounge on the bottom floor just make sure there's plenty of insulation/sound dampening between that and the next floor, or a taller ground floor will help that too.
Also maximized fenestration on the Ground Floor along with with the taller ceiling mentioned above (but going higher with the overall building might be a bit much for the W. District). Natural light and a view to the street are fairly essential ingredients in maximizing the impact the building will have at street level.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:43 PM

It's pretty nice looking. I wouldn't mind seeing it in a street of my neighborhood, which says it all.

I find the balconies with a glass handrail and a couple of window doors to each bring a stylish touch to the facade. You have to deal with concrete, right? It looks okay on the rendering for the color, the top of the front facade and the slots I see in alignment with the window frames appear to make it easier. It's quite a performance to me to make something alright of concrete, but also seemingly quite possible. Maybe you could include something that reminds of the color at the top floor, the one that's all glass.

Exciting job...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 9:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
It's pretty nice looking. I wouldn't mind seeing it in a street of my neighborhood, which says it all.

I find the balconies with a glass handrail and a couple of window doors to each bring a stylish touch to the facade. You have to deal with concrete, right? It looks okay on the rendering for the color, the top of the front facade and the slots I see in alignment with the window frames appear to make it easier. It's quite a performance to me to make something alright of concrete, but also seemingly quite possible. Maybe you could include something that reminds of the color at the top floor, the one that's all glass.

Exciting job...
I think only the ground floor will be fully concrete. The exterior will probably be 7/8" plaster on metal lathe. Some of these details will be ironed out at the HDLC meetings!

BTW with all the glass on the building I was very excited to see this at CES 2013:

http://www.ecovacs.com/bot/Winbot-W555.html

Website for 1770 Tchoupitoulas Street:
http://yourlykes.com/index.php

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:04 AM

Excellent job Tennis...also love that the building will be pet friendly. Good luck going through the review committees. Hope you don't run into any resistance since you meet all zoning guidelines. Given that Hibernia has basically sold out already, you should do well with this project.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:04 AM
-

HORNETS BUSINESS EXPANSION

The New Orleans Hornets are further solidifying their base in New Orleans with the new construction of a two story building addition to house the Hornets’ business operations. Located on the south side of the existing Saints business operations building, this new addition will include 40 private offices, 60 cubicle offices, a conference room, storage rooms, break areas, a multimedia room, a press conference room and an interior courtyard with an atrium. Interior finishes inside of this Hornets Business Expansion will match the newly renovated Saints operations building, connecting New Orleans professional sports teams as a point of pride for the city and region.

NATIONAL WORLD WAR II MUSEUM’S LATEST ADDITION SHOWS BIG WEAPONS OF WAR(Freedom Pavilion to be dedicated Saturday)

The public can start inspecting the 26,540-square-foot pavilion on Sunday at 9 a.m. The museum entry fee will admit visitors to the building, Goldberger said, but a simulated ride on the submarine USS Tang will cost $5 extra.

NEW ORLEANS MILITARY AND MARITIME ACADEMY

PROJECT INFORMATION
OWNER
NOMMA Real Estate LLC
DESIGN
WAG
BUDGET
$14,000,000
COMPLETION

LOYOLA UNIVERSITY CABRA HALL

Woodward Design+Build was hired as the general contractor for the renovation of Loyola University’s Cabra Hall. The project consists of complete interior and exterior renovations of the existing building. Upon completion, Cabra Hall will provide Loyola’s campus with a new student dormitory to meet the university’s needs

OCHSNER BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER

Since 1926, Baptist Hospital has served generations of New Orleanians from its location on the tree lined Napoleon Avenue. Today, Ochsner Health Systems continues to be a leader in regional health care at multiple locations.
The continuing renovations and modernizations of this facility involve the development of a Women’s Hospital as part of Ochsner Baptist. The current $25,000,000 renovation includes a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Labor and Delivery and Prenatal Support Service areas. Woodward’s experience in historic renovation and adaptive reuse combined with our techinical and medical expertise provides Ochsner with a project team able to work in an operating facility while adding state-of-art technologies and modern ameninites to the facility to provide the best in care and comfort.

Construction Photos of New Parish Sherriffs Office:

Circle Food Store secures funding, set to open at end of summer

Construction on the 22,000 square-foot grocery store at the corner of St. Bernard and North Claiborne avenues is expected to begin next week and be completed by the end of the summer. A groundbreaking ceremony is set for Jan. 14.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 9, 2013 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:41 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Excellent job Tennis...also love that the building will be pet friendly. Good luck going through the review committees. Hope you don't run into any resistance since you meet all zoning guidelines. Given that Hibernia has basically sold out already, you should do well with this project.
Thanks for the support! Hope to get this one going so I can move the next project into design as well. We have a subdivision getting ready to start in Lakewood South soon as well. Ill post more details when I get something final!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:39 PM

Cabra Hall @ Loyola should be wrapping up fairly soon. That building desperately needed the renovation. I was supposed to live in it from Fall 05 to Spring 06 and if there was one good thing about Katrina it was that I only had to live there in Spring 06.

It had been last renovated in the early 60s, the carpet was disgusting, smelly, and stained by years of college kids. All of the furniture was built in, the beds had dividers at the head and foot that prevented anyone over 5'8" from fully stretching out, there were no windows to speak of...you name it. Godawful layouts...it was more akin to living on a cruise ship in the smallest possible cabin instead of a dorm room.

Glad to see it fixed up. Last time I drove by it loooked like the exterior work was almost done.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:59 PM

Wow!

Wow! There's a lot of good new activity getting ready to start.

Tennis, your development looks great, and your posts about it to this forum have really been interesting. Please keep us posted, and to the extent you have time, could you post information about what goes into each step of your project as you proceed? This would be a great way for those of us who are not involved in development on a daily basis to learn.

I'm also excited about Ochsner renovating the older Baptist building. I think it has been out of commission since Katrina, so it's great that they perceive a need to re-open it!

Loving this activity!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 3:43 PM

Streetcar Updates

http://www.norta.com/_meta/files/Bus...oardreport.pdf

In the board report are some progress pictures of the Loyola Streetcar Line (beginning on page 29) and followed by a Rampart Streetcar Line timetable for 2013 (page 37). It looks like it will be put to bid sometime this summer!

Question: I've heard some locals mention that they prefer bus service to Rampart instead of streetcars, because streetcars are slower, and riders coming from the 9th Ward will have to transfer at the beginning of the streetcar line.

However, the development/density of the areas serviced by streetcars could go up significantly, making people closer to their destination anyway.

Should we be fighting for it or against it?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 3:52 PM

Quote:

Should we be fighting for it or against it?
I'd say fighting for it becuase of the greater density, pedestrian access, etc as you mention.

My one concern and rightfully a concern of many FQ citizens and other citizens is that I believe the current plan puts the streetcar in a travel lane like on Carrollton. The problem is that it gets stuck in traffic and is no better than driving and also leaves Rampart at 2 lanes wide which encourages high speeds. I believe Rampart was originally 1 lane with a wide neutral ground.

I prefer the 1 lane and wide neutral ground with the streetcar designated on the neutral ground for efficiency of travel as well as even greater ped safety and access.

But all in all, streetcar and 2 lanes of traffic is still better than no streetcar...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 3:54 PM

Hospital Construction

In case you need a new distraction at work, there is a new camera position on the hospital construction cameras. It's a closeup of the Canal Street side buildings - link on top (Camera 1 & Camera 2).

http://www.earthcam.com/client/skanskamapp/umc/?cam=wzc

http://lsuhealthfoundation.workzonecam.com/

http://www.hdc.lsuhsc.edu/construction/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:37 PM

Any details on the Oschner renovation? Photos or timeline?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:40 PM

That RTA report is interesting... amazing how much of the revenue (and expense) goes toward streetcars. Also interesting to see how much sales tax increased over 2 years. Also, there is interest expense already under the heading of "French Quarter/Rampart St".

CityBusiness reports that John Blanchard (Rock n Bowl and Ye Olde College Inn) just bought the building at the corner of Carrollton and Earhart for a million. Anybody have any idea what he's planning on doing there?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:50 PM

Downtown apartment demand shows no signs of ebbing

Good article on NOCB about the demand for downtown living is only growing. The Wiznia Stephens Garage project should finally get started early this year at 848 Carondelet St. Also the apartments at 703 Carondelet are almost finished and will be leasing soon. Really exciting to finally see the momentum building in the CBD.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...gns-of-ebbing/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
That RTA report is interesting... amazing how much of the revenue (and expense) goes toward streetcars. Also interesting to see how much sales tax increased over 2 years. Also, there is interest expense already under the heading of "French Quarter/Rampart St".

CityBusiness reports that John Blanchard (Rock n Bowl and Ye Olde College Inn) just bought the building at the corner of Carrollton and Earhart for a million. Anybody have any idea what he's planning on doing there?
I believe the RTA has already borrowed the money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations