HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:25 AM

The Petstore - wasn't that a magazine shop? I seem to recall it was and had a small coffee shop in the back.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Daily Grind? Didn't they relocate to Mills?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:28 AM

I just walked by DQ an hour ago and I KNEW something looked different about it.

God, just blow it up.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Daily Grind? Didn't they relocate to Mills?
That's what it was called - but I honestly haven't been into mills since before I moved away. Had no idea they were in there.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
New place going into bishops landing called the bicycle thief, aha:
Bertossi has set up a site with an interesting construction blog.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:19 AM

From the cbc website.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...cert-1153.html

Iconic rock band U2 has confirmed it will play an outdoor concert at Magnetic Hill in Moncton on July 30.

The Moncton concert is the last date on U2's North American tour and is the first time the band has played in Atlantic Canada.

"The Moncton show is set to be the final date of the U2 360 Tour in North America and we're really looking forward to bringing this now legendary 360 production into Atlantic Canada for the first time," said Paul McGuinness, U2's manager, in a statement.

The Moncton stop will have a special appearance with Montreal's Arcade Fire. As well, the band Carney will open for U2.

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc said the city is honoured to have U2 play at the outdoor concert venue, which has already hosted major bands, such as the Rolling Stones and AC/DC.

"To host one of the biggest bands, on one of the biggest stages, as part of one of the biggest tours for their final North American date is an honour," LeBlanc said in a statement.

The concert stop in Moncton will also see some changes to the Magnetic Hill concert site.

Donald K Donald, the concert promoter, said there was no venue in Atlantic Canada big enough to hold the concert, so they are altering Magnetic Hill to fit the band's stage.

"There is no stadium big enough in Atlantic Canada so we will build one and they will come," he said in a statement.

"The impossible will become possible. Moncton will host the last North American U2 360 Tour date and it promises to be the biggest and greatest entertainment spectacle in Atlantic Canada history."

Ticket prices will go on sale on Feb. 8 and range from $29.50 to $275. The general admission tickets are $65.

It wasn't long after speculation started last week about U2's pending concert date started that hotel rooms in southeastern New Brunswick started filling up.

A standard room is now going for more than $200 and some hotels are charging $379.

Along with the Rolling Stones and AC/DC, the Eagles and Bon Jovi have also played outdoor concerts at Moncton's Magnetic Hill site.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...#ixzz1CfKzrJ3w

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:22 AM

It's ok. All we have to do is book Jesus Christ, Mohammad, and Jim Morrison to play at the Olympics right after we host the Superbowl and we got Moncton beat.

Suckas...

Last edited by FuzzyWuz; Feb 1, 2011 at 1:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 2:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This is the development section. Posts like the one above should go in the entertainment section.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 4:54 AM

Apparently the best concert in Moncton was the rolling stones and it brought in $14 million in tourism spin-offs. Guess we missed out on that completely.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 11:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, it was on ATV News tonight that the Bay store in Halifax is closing. do you guys know anything about this? are there any plans for this property?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 11:19 PM

yeah i saw that as well, im not sure if theres plans but thats huge piece of real estate in a pretty prime area so here hoping for something good

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So, it was on ATV News tonight that the Bay store in Halifax is closing. do you guys know anything about this? are there any plans for this property?
If this is true Moncton's is probably not far behind.

R.I.P. Hudson's bay co. / Zellers

Their only brand that probably does well is Home Outfitters.

Maybe another U.S. Retailer Like JC Penny or Kohl's will fill their void, like Target is doing with Zellers.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm not surprised considering that the HRM office and the Provincial offices jumped out of West End Mall. I'm sure it's a ghost town.
Another condo/office tower perhaps?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 11:36 PM

To be honest I'm surprised the Halifax Bay store stayed open as long as it did. It was always very empty when I visited and has a general air of neglect. I think the Dartmouth store is staying open and they definitely do better business since it's part of Mic Mac.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 11:53 PM

I was in there a couple times, they did have a few good sales on kitchen stuff.
Most of the people in there were seniors from the home close by I believe.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 12:41 AM

The Bay in Halifax is a good example of poor decisions regarding store design and site selection. Pretty much from the day it opened it did less business than its previous location (the old Simpson's). Part of that was due to the parking - a multilevel garage with access to the store only by elevators that were a problem from day one. The building turned its back on the street and the only semi-friendly grade-level access was buried in the back of the West End mall parking lot. The main entrance was from the mall and there were soon no retailers there that drew people in. Once you were in the store it wasn't bad, and because of the lack of customers they often had killer sales. But over the last few years the company obviously wasn't maintaining the place and it had a really run-down feel, with the parking garage feeling really scary.

If HRM had a clue. they would lay claim to at least a strip of the property for a proper widening of Chebucto Road.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 12:57 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I'm not surprised considering that the HRM office and the Provincial offices jumped out of West End Mall. I'm sure it's a ghost town.
A perfect location for a stadium. It even has existing parking and most people wouldn't consider it to be on the peninsula. Plus it is close to SMU and Dalhousie.

PS: It is probably too significant a building to consider tearing it down though? Here is the streetview link - http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.020599&z=17

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
the floor plates would be to large for residential use. Office would be interesting, however again the plates are so large it would really only lend itself to call centre type tenants.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 1:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
If this is true Moncton's is probably not far behind.

Maybe another U.S. Retailer Like JC Penny or Kohl's will fill their void, like Target is doing with Zellers.
I don't disagree with you q12, The old Eaton's store at Highfield Square was very nice and really popular. The Bay subsequently took over the location but never really caught on. In the meantime, the rest of Highfield Square died (due to competition from Champlain Place aka the mall that ate Moncton).

One scenario that I have speculated on in the Moncton thread is:

1 - The Dieppe Wal-Mart moving out of Champlain Place and relocating as a new SuperCentre in the Harrisville Blvd. neighbourhood (it doesn't really belong in Champlain in any event).
2 - The Bay moving out of Highfield to the (former) Wal-Mart location at Champlain (it would fit right in with the other anchors such as Sears, H&M etc.)
3 - Highfield Square would then be flattened so that the new 10,000 seat downtown Arena/Events Centre could be built.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 1:34 AM

I was in Highfield Square about a month ago (had a meeting across the street). My travel partner and I arrived early so we popped in to see about grabbing a bite at the food court. We were quite surprised to find the food court barely alive and the place pretty dead. Highfield's days look numbered. Sad to see the Halifax Bay go, but I agree, its design really set it up to fail once the Bay stopped being a store people would make a special trip to go to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth