HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
I would not be surprised if this game gets moved to Green Bay. The same guys promoting this tried to do a WHL Winter Classic in Regina last year and cancelled it based on poor ticket sales. Looks like the NFL only fans in Winnipeg can only afford to watch it on TV.
If the promoters had charged normal NFL preseason prices, or even normal NFL preseason prices plus a slight markup, the game would have sold out a long time ago.

That said, I doubt that they'd pull the plug on this game now. More realistically they will just cut prices and paper the house to prevent the spectacle of a NFL game being played in front of 10,000 fans or whatever.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 7:02 PM

My Bomber season tickets are row 4 44yd line behind visitors bench , for NFL preseason game THEY ARE $439 each plus I forgot a $4.50 order processing fee !! Absolutely ridiculously priced . Tons of NFL fans here some even have Viking season tickets. The Raiders are playing Sept 22nd in Minneapolis our seats are $208 US at about the 5 yd line 30 rows up . You can see how ridiculous the pricing is here for a PRESEASON GAME . For some more context the NFL preseason top price is more than the highest priced ticket to the Grey Cup in Calgary .

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
Yesterday's Canada Day game in Regina -- SASK vs. TORONTO.
Attendance: 30,141
Regina always provides a good photo op.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 5:02 AM
Ham-burgher

An article on CFL.ca that is worth your time, CFL fan or not.

‘I LET THIS THING OWN ME’: REILLY OPENS UP ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 11:21 PM

Just finished watching Hamilton in Montreal. For a franchise the haterz like to call a train wreck, the Als and their fans looked pretty on the rails to me.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 3:34 PM

^ Nice to see Montreal get it together. Does anyone know why Luc Brodeur-Jourdain was retiring in July, though? Seemed weird.

But hey, what about the Bombers? 3-0! They dominated the Redblacks last night, I thought the score flattered Ottawa. Too bad about Nichols having to leave the game, hopefully there is no lasting effect from his impressively surprising 18-yard scamper.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 4:57 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Nice to see Montreal get it together. Does anyone know why Luc Brodeur-Jourdain was retiring in July, though? Seemed weird.
I assumed it was so that he could have a farewell game. The TSN broadcasts tend to leave a lot of things unexplained, though. On that note, they really need to put a bit more effort into their presentation ... and please, no more Rod Smith play-by-play ...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:30 PM

^ I think I might be in the minority here who actually likes Rod Smith. Davis Sanchez is a decent addition to the panel, but it is odd seeing Mike Benevides not wearing his Bill Belichick costume, as one guy put it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Posted by elly63 in the Atlantic CFL thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Atlantic Canada CFL team now eyes 2021 start in Moncton
Man behind proposed franchise says 2020 start 'not realistic'
Dan Ralph The Canadian Press July 5 2019

Anthony LeBlanc has tempered his enthusiasm.

LeBlanc said Friday the expectation now is for the CFL's Atlantic Schooners to be ready to play in 2021 in Moncton, N.B., while a new stadium is being built in Halifax. This past winter, LeBlanc contended if all went well, the expansion franchise could begin play in 2020.

"We want to get started as soon as possible but we have to be cognizant of the work that goes into this," LeBlanc said in a telephone interview. "It's not a surprise it's taking longer than we expected . . . and we just need to be realistic.

"I don't think it's realistic at this point to even consider 2020. Look, nobody's more frustrated with the timing than I am but the last thing we want to do is rush this. We've got to ensure we're good partners and whatever we provide we want it to be fully baked and give us the best shot at this working."

LeBlanc is co-founder of Schooners Sports and Entertainment (formerly Maritime Football Limited), which is the group looking to secure a CFL franchise for Halifax. Also on Friday, LeBlanc announced SSE has lowered ticket prices for the Aug. 25 Touchdown Atlantic game in Moncton between the Montreal Alouettes and Toronto Argonauts.

Admission now will be as low as $29. When the game was confirmed in March, tickets started at $65.

"Whenever it's a single event versus season tickets or nine regular-season games, there's always going to be some level of uptick," LeBlanc said. "But I think we were way too aggressive when we first went out.

"Admittedly when the prices were suggested to me, my initial thought was, 'Those seem high.' It's one of those cases that I wish I would've said something then but we still have two months to go so I think it's fine."

LeBlanc said early ticket sales were solid, especially with the higher-end ones, before fans in the region began voicing their concerns. The $29 tickets are in a general-admission area in one of the end zones at Croix-Bleue Medavie Stadium while those in the other end zone, also general admission, are $45.

"We started hearing from many people throughout the region that the ticket prices were just not accessible, in particular, for families and students," he said. "So we decided to create a family zone so people could bring their kids.

"That allowed us to put together a much more fan-friendly price point. Then many key sponsors who we're working with on this game put their hands up to help be a part of the ticketing package to kind of cushion the blow and it was their support that allowed us to come out and kind of re-launch."

The cheapest grandstand ticket is $65. The stadium has 10,000 permanent seats and can be expanded to a capacity of 20,725.

The Ticketmaster seating map for the game Friday had large chunks of unsold seats on the sidelines.

Original ticket prices for the game — which will be the fourth CFL regular-season contest in Moncton — were significantly higher than what both the Argos ($21) and Alouettes ($26) have as their cheapest seats for their next home games.

Fans who purchased tickets at higher prices will be offered credit towards additional tickets, season tickets for the Atlantic Schooners inaugural season or a refund for the difference between the price points.

However, the biggest hurdle facing SSE is the construction of a suitable stadium for the CFL franchise.

The initial proposal called for a facility to be built at Shannon Park for between $170 and $190 million. In April, SSE unveiled a proposal for a scaled-back stadium that could be built for $130 million but expanded in the future.

SSE has signed a letter of intent with Canada Lands Company, the federal Crown corporation that owns Shannon Park.

"We're basically hunkered down with Canada Lands Company," LeBlanc said. "What we've done jointly is hire two or three best-of-breed consultants to come in and assist us with the business plan that we're putting together for HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality).

"Basically when we present this to Halifax, it will have independent third-party analysis of what that site can support along with other things like traffic studies and environmental studies. We still feel confident we'll be able to present and have Halifax senior staff review and hopefully get a recommendation to council by the end of the calendar year."
This is interesting. So they are still sticking to the plan of holding their opening season here in Moncton, except most likely in 2021.

I'm due a partial refund on the four (overpriced) tickets I bought for Touchdown Atlantic. This is because they've lowered the ticket prices for Touchdown Atlantic, and people who bought the first wave of tickets, such as myself, are being partially reimbursed. If this report is accurate, and the Schooners play in Moncton in 2021, I might just convert my refund into a down payment on a couple of season's tickets for the inaugural season. I won't continue on after the inaugural season (Halifax is too far to drive down every other week for a football game), but for professional football in Moncton, I think this would be a blast..........

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
^ I think I might be in the minority here who actually likes Rod Smith. Davis Sanchez is a decent addition to the panel, but it is odd seeing Mike Benevides not wearing his Bill Belichick costume, as one guy put it.
Nothing wrong with Rod Smith, does a great job, not a big fan of Sanchez which is unfortunate as he is about the only Canadian left (aside from part timer Benevides) They need to inject some more people knowledgeable about CIS and players coming into the league which is what made Forde so valuable. Frankly Stegall and Dunigan have grown stale IMO but I like what Smilin' Hank brings to the table.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
^ Nice to see Montreal get it together.
Crowd looked like the kind you see at an Ottawa game. PA seemed better, lots of dancing folks in the crowd shots and there didn't seemed to be that ridiculous "Make Some Noise" sound loop every five minutes. It was a good start to build on and I hope they do, even if they get smoked in the next game I think Jones is the man for the job, they should maintain course.

And as I said many times against the train wreck haterz, the team does have talent, it's not like the cupboard is bare without hope.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 6:51 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Nothing wrong with Rod Smith, does a great job, not a big fan of Sanchez which is unfortunate as he is about the only Canadian left (aside from part timer Benevides) They need to inject some more people knowledgeable about CIS and players coming into the league which is what made Forde so valuable. Frankly Stegall and Dunigan have grown stale IMO but I like what Smilin' Hank brings to the table.
Rod Smith is the worst play by play announcer I've ever heard. He's really good on the panel but on pxp he never sets up a play, can rarely figure out what is going on fast enough to say anything about a play before it's already over, mixes up team names, player names and talks in the same low-key "straight man" tone that only works as a counterpoint to the big personalities on the panel. There must be young trained play-by-play announcers in Canada who'd love to have a shot at calling CFL games -- they had that one guy from Edmonton in the preseason who was pretty good. Why resort to bringing in your studio host?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 7:44 PM

Now that you mention it, it has been a while since we've had some new CFL play by play blood apart from a guy like Smith who is usually in the studio. What about someone like Rod Pedersen, provided that he turns down the Rider homerism a little?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Now that you mention it, it has been a while since we've had some new CFL play by play blood apart from a guy like Smith who is usually in the studio. What about someone like Rod Pedersen, provided that he turns down the Rider homerism a little?
TSN had promised that Dustin Nelson would get a few games games this year as play by play but I've only seen him once. They let Derek Taylor get away and keep recycling clueless drones like Rod Black. CFL needs to pressure TSN to lose that fool and some others.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 9:57 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
"A little" Radio guys don't always transition well. Bob Irving kind of fell flat as a CFL TV play-by-play guy in the 80s, even though he is about as perfect a radio football broadcaster as could be imagined.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 1:40 PM

Stamps dominate Riders

Arrrrrrbuckle! Roberson, 5 INT’s (6 if we could count the Riley pick) in 3 games this year!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 1:57 PM

Oh, how nice, Calgary found itself yet another generational talent at QB

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Posted by elly63 in the Atlantic CFL thread:

This is interesting. So they are still sticking to the plan of holding their opening season here in Moncton, except most likely in 2021.
I'm starting to think that if the CFL is going to work in the Maritime region, it will only be in Moncton.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to think that if the CFL is going to work in the Maritime region, it will only be in Moncton.
It won't be in Moncton.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 11:11 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
It won't be in Moncton.
It seems to be the path of least resistance right now. *_IF_* the team ownership can raise/beg the money to expand that stadium, and they can't get the same in Halifax or if Moncton ends up being a more business-friendly deal... the start-up location may become the end-up location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada