HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:19 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Walmart testing different concepts for urban stores | 6 different renderings/plans

Walmart has proposed *6* stores in Washington, DC. It's clear from the variety of plans that they are treating the city as a test site for urban concepts, to see which ones work and which ones don't. Each of the 6 proposed stores is a unique mix of urban/suburban.

This post contains renderings & plans of all 6, in order from most urban to least.

Here's a map of the store locations:

A couple of them were posted on the forum a few months ago (including the first), but there's a lot more info now than there was then.

Downtown location (aka "Gonzaga")
Totally mixed-use. Apartments above, parking underground, small liner shops along the street. Very impressive.

Fort Totten location
Also a very good mixed-use building. Not quite as dense as the first, and in a much more isolated neighborhood. This will be the largest building in the area.

Georgia Avenue location
Located in a rowhouse neighborhood that doesn't have Metro access and is therefore on the poorer end of things. Single-story building with no mixed-use, but oriented mainly to pedestrians. Parking underground.

Skyland Town Center location
Located in a suburbanish "town center" development on the east side of the Anacostia River, in a fairly poor/underserved area. Internally walkable with the rest of the town center, but poorly connected to surrounding neighborhoods. Parking on a deck above the store.

Capitol Gatewal location
A strip mall in a poor neighborhood. Surface parking, but they throw a bone to pedestrians by adding a second entrance along the sidewalk.

New York Avenue location
Totally suburban and car-oriented. No real provisions for pedestrians except those you'd see at any suburban strip mall.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:42 PM
Lowe's

I like the mixed use proposals. As much as alot of people hate Walmart, there are many many more that do not and will use these stores for everything. With their track record, I'm actually impressed that Walmart is even considering mixed use development.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:25 PM

How many apartments are proposed in each of the mixed-use designs?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:27 PM

Skyland Town Center looks some what similar in layout to the Wal Mart being built in Midtown Miami except for the large tower.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:28 PM

I don't think DC need 6 Walmarts. 3 or 4 would have been fine. I like the urban ones, but I think the Georgia Ave. design could have been used for the stores east of the river, as well.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:28 PM

About time Walmart entered the urban market. I'm not sure if this is related to the 'urban concept' stores going up in DC, but in Scarborough (Toronto) there was a concept small-format store opening up, with plans for locations across Canada in more urban markets.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 9:23 PM

Walmart has lots of urban stores under their "Asda" brand in the UK. If the North American politicians and urban planners of yesteryear weren't so in love with suburban sprawl, Walmart would have had these urban stores years ago.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 9:54 PM

I like some of the renderings, now they just need to put something in it besides walmart. They would be a great place to have an indoor market, tons of space and huge freezers. I just really don't like walmart.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Wal-Mart is good for one thing to me...picking up last minute camping/fishing/campfood stuff in Butt-hole, Missouri. I don't do the metropolitan Wal-Mart thing.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 12:49 AM
The Vomit Bag.

living on top of a Walmart. How charming.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:29 AM
TL;DR

Wal-Mart is not in the residential development game, so virtually all of the proposals fit into a larger plan that likely has not changed all that much with the addition of Wal-Mart. The Gonzaga plan would be virtually identical if the tenant were Target or even Giant or Safeway, which is to say that Wal-Mart controlled very little about the project design.

The only thing we know for sure is that Wal-Mart is willing to squeeze its discount stores (as opposed to the Express stores) into a variety of building types to enter urban markets, so long as the building provides the requisite amount of parking somewhere.

That's good, I guess, but it relies on a large field of development proposals. If Wal-Mart wants to enter central Indianapolis or central Houston, it's unlikely that they would build anything but a big store set behind an acre of surface parking - and this poses a challenge to degraded places that are trying to increase their level of urbanity (i.e. most American cities).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions