HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 6:00 AM

DC: Mayor Gray Wants to Add 250,000 Within 20 Years

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...6cT_story.html

Very interesting that growth has so much political support in an area wrought with NIMBYism. That would be an almost 40% population increase from this year.

Growth in 2011 was an annualized 2.2%, which was huge for an area that only recently hit bottom.

If the 250k figure is to be believed, DC could easily hit 1 million by 2050, but that's wayyy further.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:12 PM
Never Dell

Growth in 2011 could be an anomoly...lots of empty units to fill, while there are still a lot of people doubling up. Same for any city.

Good to be aggressive. That sort of number is very difficult, and there's no really similar case like it in the US. If you do half that figure I'll be impressed.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:40 PM

The percentage could be an anomaly, I doubt it, but the trend isn't. DC has been improving in many areas for a while, but there's probably less people moving out as well. That was the reason for the net losses despite the city generating more revenue and doing better than it had been for at least several years.

I think 100k-150k is a more realistic target. I want to see more high-quality low and mid-rise residential growth outside of the CBD, though. We're seeing it, but we need more of it, since that's what's reasonably affordable for most newcomers and current residents looking to upgrade or start a family to live.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:20 PM
BANNED

I don't see how 250K is possible unless MUCH more affordable housing is constructed in the District or they are hoping to attract either a very high percentage of wealthy people or very high percentage of poor people.

I see people continuing to move further out into Maryland and Virginia where housing is much, much more affordable and realistic for the middle class, transit options are being extended, and major urban-suburban developments/redevelopments offering "city" amenities and convenience are taking place. What's going on in Rockville, MD is a good indication of this... the plans are pretty impressive.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 5:04 PM

Yea, there's a debate on GreaterGreaterWashington about whether it's even a problem that the city is somewhat inhospitable to the middle class and if it is, how to fix it, with schools being an obvious area to address. Some people don't think it's a problem that people get priced out and hope to see DC with just rich people, basically.

What's implicit in this to me is that we have to build denser in many areas to accommodate this growth but also keep the character of the nicer neighborhoods. I would hope to see that growth in the CBD in the form of taller buildings.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 6:25 PM
cities|transit|croissants

This is non-news. A few years ago then-Mayor Anthony Williams said 100,000 in 10 years.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:47 AM

Thumbs up

A population of 750K in 10yrs for DC would be good!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions