HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Thanks for the information. What about the Toronto CMA though. I was under the impression that the CMA also breached the 50% tipping point, but achieved this a few years after the central city?

The CMA was 47% foreign born in 2006, so perhaps it has passed 50% within the past few years.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:37 AM
~Hook'em~

Austin 2002 to 2012

Austin achievements 2002 to 2012

2002 Population - 1,240,000

http://art-print-for-you.com/uploads...usa-kopiya.jpg

2012 Population - 1,818,740

Picture by me

Top 10 achievements past 10 years:
  1. By far the best thing to happen to Austin in the past 10 years was that I moved back to Austin (where I was born and raised) 10 years ago next month.
  2. Austin emerging as a nationally important and relevant city.
  3. Downtown experiencing huge growth. 6 new buildings taller than the tallest in 2002. Of the top 11 buildings downtown all but 2 have been built in the last 10 years. 8 of those 11 in the last 4 years.
  4. University of Texas won the National Championship in football!! And 6 other National Championships in 4 other sports. ~Hook'em Horns!~
  5. The ACL Fest began. The Austin City Limits moved from UT to the Moody Theater in the W Hotel. Austin City Limits was also given the National Medal of Arts (only televisions show to ever receive it) and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
  6. Austin approved and built a commuter rail line from the north Austin burbs through east Austin and into downtown.
  7. In the past 5-6 years Austin has built billions of $ worth or toll roads and massive highways all over the city, but sadly still fails miserably lacking any form or urban rail.
  8. COTA was announced and the Formula 1 US Grand Prix moves to Austin.
  9. SXSW Continues its massive growth. The SXSW Music Conference becomes the largest music festival in the world with over 2,400 performers and 95 venues. SXSW Interactive Conference also becomes the largest Tech conference in the world. SXSW Education, Environment, Style(fashion), Gaming and many other conferences are also created and are each showing huge growth every year.
  10. Second Street completely redone and turned into a pedestrian street with massive sidewalks creating fantastic focus on retail, restaurants, new art house movie theater and much more. Renamed Willie Nelson BLVD. A huge 8' statue of Willie sitting down with his guitar donated to the city and place on the corner outside ACL across from City Hall on 4/20 of this year.

Last edited by BevoLJ; Apr 26, 2012 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:56 AM

^----- The SXSW Interactive Conference has certainly raised Austin's profile among digital professionals in APAC. We sent a whole bunch of people across a whole bunch of lines of business to Austin this year, from our Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul, KL and Bangkok offices. It was a huge success and we'll be sending more people next year.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:27 AM
~Hook'em~

Glad to hear that worked out so well for y'all Shawn! It has certainly become big. I probably should have had it higher on the list. Just below me moving to Austin. But I kind of just listed things and they popped into my head, not any real order. But I have noticed the same as you mention when I am in London. I say I am from Austin and they always say, "Oh, I was there for South By last year! Great town!" lol. So that is good to be known for that. Before South By blew up this past decade if you told someone you were from Austin you just got... "Oh, that is where Charles Whitman shot all those people from the UT Tower right?"

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:48 AM

^--- Ha! Ever get the Road Trip scenario where people would say, "Wait, you mean Boston?"

Texas has a pretty shitty rep among English-speaking professionals in APAC, but the experience in Austin really did a lot to change our staff's minds. When they found out SXSW is in Texas, some people didn't want to go. Now they can't wait to go back.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 4:52 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Austin achievements 2002 to 2012

2002 Population - 1,240,000

2012 Population - 1,818,740
50% population growth in 10 years is very rapid growth. Austin's not exactly a small city any more. 2 million; that's almost as big as Cleveland.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions