HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 3:11 PM

Architectural plans for skyscrapers online?

Is there a resource online where I can look at detailed plans for skyscrapers that they used to obtain a building permit? Thanks

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 6:51 PM
Never Dell

Seattle puts plans online for land use permit applications, though not for building permits.

Go here: http://web6.seattle.gov/dpd/edms/

Search for a project such as 600 Wall or 2202 9th for example. Sort results by size since these will be 100 mg pdfs. See "land use application plan" pdf.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Seattle puts plans online for land use permit applications, though not for building permits.

Go here: http://web6.seattle.gov/dpd/edms/

Search for a project such as 600 Wall or 2202 9th for example. Sort results by size since these will be 100 mg pdfs. See "land use application plan" pdf.
Thanks. This has site plans and stuff which is interesting but what I'm really looking for is construction plans.. like the building plans that the city would review and contractors would use.. Not sure if any are publicly available as I guess they were very expensive to produce.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 1:02 AM
Never Dell

Look closer. You can see the entire plan sets that gets submitted for land use permits.

That's not at building permit level, true. However, you can't build from that level either.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 6:55 AM
them bones

The reason you cannot find construction sets is simple: copyright laws. You see, architects and engineers who stamp and sign their drawings typically retain full copyright to them unless they grant permission for copying. It's a liability issue. So while most cities make even construction sets available for public viewing, typically you cannot obtain a copy of any kind without legal order or written consent from the responsible professional. It varies by state, but that is how it works in California.

I would NEVER let a construction set of mine be posted on-line. Too many asshole lawyers.

The reason full planning and land use sets are available is because there is no construction permitted by a planning permit and thus very limited liability. Even so, the design professional retains the rights and must grant the jurisdiction the right to post them.

I am a little curious why you want them. It's an uncommon request.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
The reason you cannot find construction sets is simple: copyright laws. You see, architects and engineers who stamp and sign their drawings typically retain full copyright to them unless they grant permission for copying. It's a liability issue. So while most cities make even construction sets available for public viewing, typically you cannot obtain a copy of any kind without legal order or written consent from the responsible professional. It varies by state, but that is how it works in California.

I would NEVER let a construction set of mine be posted on-line. Too many asshole lawyers.

The reason full planning and land use sets are available is because there is no construction permitted by a planning permit and thus very limited liability. Even so, the design professional retains the rights and must grant the jurisdiction the right to post them.

I am a little curious why you want them. It's an uncommon request.
just would like to see how the sausage is made. Ill judt look around academic resources

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 8:37 PM
Crane Goddess

Security might be another reason- these days people might be skittish about the detailed schematics for their buildings being out there for just anybody to get hold of.

I'd love to get the elevation drawings for some of my favorite skyscrapers, they're designed by now-defunct firms like Emery Roth and Sons, or Kahn and Jacobs.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 11:54 PM
Never Dell

If you want to see what contractors build from, a starting point would be "construction documents." But even that isn't enough detail. What's built is what's shown in shop drawings, where the general or sub (depending on trade) do the micro-detailed drawings and get approval.

Increasingly, design and contractor detailing happens in 3D using BIM. Those main files -- except rendered images from them -- are astonishingly large of course.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
If you want to see what contractors build from, a starting point would be "construction documents." But even that isn't enough detail. What's built is what's shown in shop drawings, where the general or sub (depending on trade) do the micro-detailed drawings and get approval.

Increasingly, design and contractor detailing happens in 3D using BIM. Those main files -- except rendered images from them -- are astonishingly large of course.
There must be academic resources that make these files public?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 3:04 PM
them bones

^Again, not likely unless it's a specific collection of drawings donated for academic and research reasons (for instance the Frank Lloyd Wright collection at Arizona State).

You are going to be hard-pressed to find actual construction details - especially online.

Start with the Skyscraper Museum in NYC? That might be your best bet.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture