HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTex View Post
This arson comes just days after that damn *-hole Gov Rick Perry went on the news regarding El Dorado and the polygamist sect: "You know, I'm not concerned about the law.....no, I'm not concerned about the fine points of the law, or what it says. I do as I see fit, and that means, doing what needs to be done, regardless of the law."

Ok, Ricky boy. Now you've done it. Someone got fed up of you and your bullying ways. Now, WE are paying the price. Either this was El Dorado related and someone struck back, or this could have been a Drug Cartel. Either way, this was a BOLD statement by someone who has had enough.

You know, 9/11 happened the same way. Piss enough people off, and someone will eventually punch you back. I hate him. I hate him, I hate him, I hate him.........and NO, I didn't do it. I would never burn a piece of Austin because I hate the Governor. I can distinguish between the man, and a piece of history that has nothing to do with his stupidity and arrogance.
I couldn't imagine it being done as a political statement. Everybody in the state knows Perry is out living in Westlake right now cause of the renovations. Yes, Perry is a polarizing figure, but aren't the majority of these arsons started by a firebug or a security guard wanting to be labeled a hero for noticing it?

Can't help but wonder... anybody see Sal Costello or Terri Hall on Saturday night, lol. Actually a bit surprised she hasn't issued a press release yet stating the fire and damage extent was proof that God was anti-toll.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 3:25 PM
Meh

Source: Some security cameras 'not operational' at mansion
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...12mansion.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 8:32 AM

The thing that has my dander up is how arrogant the Texas Rangers are acting about this whole thing. The bottom line is that they are responsible for guarding the place, and it would appear that they were not doing much guarding the night the fire was set. Where the hell were they? I had always assumed there were at least 2 or 3 armed guards on the property at any given time, especially at night and especiallly since the building was probably more open to the elements during the remodeling. Somebody needs to hold their feet to the fire, so to speak, and name those responsible for the almost criminal negligence that took place.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 12:09 PM
Meh

I heard on Fox7 and KVUE yesterday, that there was only one guard on duty. They were stationed in a carriage house on the west side of block. From what the news said, the security tapes show someone throwing something onto the front porch (east side) that exploded into flames as it hit. So the security guard was on the other side then. They really should have required them to patrol the grounds around the clock. It wouldn't be that hard of a job.

I just can't believe someone had the gall to do this. I mean, wow. And also, the fact that some of the security cameras were supposedly not working, seems kind of suspicious.

As for the mansion, when they do the restoration, I really hope they do away with those false spaces. Those false ceilings and walls. False ceilings of course are when a "new" ceiling is built lower than the existing one. The mansion has 16 foot ceilings, and for modern conveniences like air conditioning and other utilities, a new ceiling was constructed to create an attic space. Of course as the fire department said, those false ceilings created a hidden space for fire bust into and it made it hard to get to to put out the fire. They had similar trouble with the Capitol fire in 1983. I really wish the state preservation board would officially do away with those, and require them to be put back the way they were originally.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 6:22 AM
Meh

Historical assessment begins at charred Governor's Mansion
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...13mansion.html

Kelso needs to be smacked.

Make mansion fit into downtown: Convert it to lofts
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...0613kelso.html

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jun 13, 2008 at 6:46 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 1:58 PM
Meh

$50,000 reward offered in Governor's Mansion fire
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...0617reward.htm

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 7:39 PM
Meh

DPS official: Governor's Mansion security lapses not 'finest moment'
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...20mansion.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
An off-duty Austin police officer spotted a "suspiciously acting" man running from the mansion just minutes after the flames erupted, said Sgt. Michael Escalante, a special crimes service investigator who gave the briefing and former member of the governor's protective detail.

The man ran to a car parked on 11th Street near the mansion, hurriedly made a U-turn and sped east as fire trucks began arriving at the scene.

The officer found a cigarette lighter near where the car was parked, and it has been impounded as evidence.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 7:47 PM

So how come they still have not shown any images from the security tape? Or how about a description of the car leaving the scene from the officer who saw it? This investigation (or lack of) is very, very strange indeed.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 5:09 PM

SEE!!!! TXlifeguard. guy, I TOLD YOU this was politically motivated.

Listen, guy. Anytime the government tells you something, the opposite of whatever they tell you is the truth. NOW they have come out and said it WAS politically motivated. dude, wake up. It is so freaking obvious man. The State comes out and the first thing they said: this isn't political. OK, that means IT IS political. And now, they admit it. That's how you know the truth. Whatever the government first says is ALWAYS THE OPPOSITE.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 3:27 AM

I don't know about politically motivated, but "stupid motivated" seem just about right. FINALLY the Texas Rangers have been forced to admit that it was primarily a case of gross negligence on their part that allowed the fire to happen. Check out today's Statesman for details. The only reason they copped to any of it it that they more or less got outed by their own investigative commissioner.

One person on duty and he is 'searching the web" instead of walking rounds or checking video monitors.

WTF!! They sure have enough patrol officers (state police) out on Guadalupe or LaVaca every night pulling over kids for driving home tipsy. You'd think they could spare one or two of those officers to guard the governor's mansion!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTex View Post
SEE!!!! TXlifeguard. guy, I TOLD YOU this was politically motivated.

Listen, guy. Anytime the government tells you something, the opposite of whatever they tell you is the truth. NOW they have come out and said it WAS politically motivated. dude, wake up. It is so freaking obvious man. The State comes out and the first thing they said: this isn't political. OK, that means IT IS political. And now, they admit it. That's how you know the truth. Whatever the government first says is ALWAYS THE OPPOSITE.
It's not that I believed what government offcials said one way or the other. I work in PR and generally don't believe anyone is ever telling the truth in an official capacity. It's that I've had trouble seeing this as a politically motivated arson. It's no doubt that it was criminal in nature, and not accidental (like sparks from a welders torch in the construction/demolition process) as would be expected, since they have video proof of the act of commission.

From a political perspective - this is stupid - setting fire to the mansion wouldn't rally anyone to a cause (whatever it might be). First, the damn thing is unoccupied. That's like someone having it in for me and setting fire to a house I used to live in 10 years ago. So the motive would seem to move away from Perry - and would seem to be an attack on the state itself or the state government. If Perry really was their target, why didn't they target his rental residence (I'm glad they didn't tho- as there would have been a greater chance for loss of life. Historic or not, buildings can be replaced; people cant.) All this attack would do would be to rally everyone towards the rebuilding efforts and support of the state as an institution. They didn't just pull 'Don't mess with Texas' out of the air. It worked as an ad slogan because it embodied Texans' sense of pride in the greatness of Texas - even if it is just the myth of Texas. An attack on the mansion (or capital, etc) attacks that myth. People tend to cling pretty darn tight to their cultural myths, real or perceived.

I guess I just don't get Perry as a target. Is he polarizing? Sure. But it's much ado about nothing. All of us who took Texas Government in college remember that the Texas governorship is one of the weakest in the nation. The state constitution limits his powers to calling special sessions of the legislature, appointing agency chairs (with legislative approval), and the veto. The legislature and the Lt. Gov. have all the power. Perry spends most of his official time on business development. A bit of an oversimplification, but in reality, he's like statewide elected chamber of commerce president. Now there's always those kooks out there who think there should be no property taxes, or that Texas was illegally annexed into the US who could have had a hand in it. Conducting the state's business, including the controversial stuff (TTC, El Dorado, water rights, taxes & budgeting, etc) is done by state agencies or the Lege itself.

I guess time will tell. The DPS/Rangers has to solve this. Cause it's scary as heck to think that someone can walk up the front porch of the state's first residence and set it on fire.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 7:29 PM

Are you kidding, TexasLifeguard?

Ok, let me spoon feed you through this.

Political statements do not have to target or kill the man you are angry at - when people see TEXAS as backing Rick Perry. People see US as TEXANS backing and believing the policies that have come out of here.

Say for example, there was a time when I'd go overseas and tell people I was from Texas....now, I don't say that because they look at me like I BACK BUSH'S POLICIES. It's an AFFILIATION that people draw the conclusion that Rick Perry is a representation of how WE as TEXANS believe and feel. We DON'T.

Let me ask you a stupid question.....when 9/11 happened, was it a strike against the Twin Towers and the people who worked in them? come on, of course the answer is NO. it was a statement aimed at the American people.....based on what people perceive WE hold valuable. Though it was done to the towers, it was aimed at the U.S. in general. The arson at the mansion was against Texas, Texas policies, and Rick Perry - who openly said he has no regard for the law and does as he sees fit.

Does that make sense? and folks, TX officials have come out and said on camera that YES, it is and was politically motivated. Even friends of mine in CA heard that on the news....what are you people doing who are on here saying it wasn't? are you even alive or just that hung over? where have you been????? come on, participation on here requires just that: participation.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Since nobody has been arrested it's time for heads to roll...

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/st...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Quote:
Friday, July 11, 2008
DPS Director Davis stepping down amid furor over governor's mansion fire
Austin Business Journal

Col. Thomas Davis Jr., the longtime chief of the Texas Department of Public Safety, confirmed today he is retiring at the end of August.

Davis' announcement comes as his department is facing mounting criticism for apparent lapses in security at the Texas Governor's Mansion during a June fire that nearly destroyed the historic building. An investigation determined an arsonist started the blaze. Questions have percolated for weeks about why DPS troopers charged with guarding the mansion were slow to respond to the fire.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 6:24 PM
Meh

They have released the surveillance video to the public (see below).

Quote:
GOVERNOR'S MANSION FIRE

Governor's Mansion security video, photos released
Investigators who fought release of video from security cameras now seeking the public's help.

By Tony Plohetski

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Investigators today released grainy photos and a black-and-white security video from the morning the Texas Governor's Mansion was set ablaze, hoping that statewide circulation of the images might help identify a suspect.
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...30mansion.html

The images:
http://www.statesman.com/news/mediah...jsp?tId=115090

Video of the arson running away:
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...tid=1697163007

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 10:03 AM
Meh

Senators balk at $27 million estimate to restore Governor's Mansion
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...04mansion.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 6:08 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...22mansion.html

Quote:
TEXAS
$22 million allocated to repair governor's mansion
Total enough to fit downsized budget, restoration officials say.

By Mike Ward

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

A total of $22 million — half of that in federal stimulus money — has been allocated in a budget compromise to restore the fire-gutted Texas Governor's Mansion, legislative leaders said Thursday.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 7:23 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...08mansion.html

Quote:
Year later, progress at Governor's Mansion

A year after the disastrous arson fire that gutted the 153-year-old Texas Governor's Mansion, investigators have no suspects, a $50,000 reward without takers and no clue about the reason for the attack.

But thanks to private donations and the Texas Legislature, the state does have nearly $26 million to start the restoration process, perhaps as soon as this week.
Quote:
Just before the Civil War, Texas legend Sam Houston, elected governor in 1859, paced the mansion's hallways as he worried about seceding from the Union.

Miriam "Ma" Ferguson, the first woman to be governor of Texas, built a chicken coop in the backyard. Colorful Gov. Wilbert Lee "Pappy" O'Daniel served barbecue on the grounds to 20,000 of his supporters in 1941 to celebrate his re-election.

Gov. John Connally recuperated there from a gunshot wound suffered in the attack on President John F. Kennedy's motorcade in Dallas. Gov. Ann Richards hosted England's Queen Elizabeth II there in the early 1990s.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 12:26 PM
Meh

Quote:
Project managers recommend expanding governor's mansion
Attached addition would add 3,000 square feet, mostly living space for first family.

By Mike Ward

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, October 30, 2009

EL PASO — A two-story addition should be built to the north of the arson-gutted Texas Governor's Mansion to make the home "more livable" for the state's first families and add much-needed space, according to new details of the showcase project revealed Thursday.
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...30mansion.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 5:47 PM

Let's be honest about what is going on here -- over the past year, we've seen the Preservation Board, at the request of the Perrys, move the Capitol Metro bus stops that lined the north side of 12th street between Congress and Colorado; we've seen the Preservation Board, at the request of the Perrys, propose the permanent closure of Colorado Street between 12th and 11th; and now we've seen the consultants, with Mrs. Perry leading the charge, propose to the Historical Commission that the Mansion needs to be expanded to provide more livable space (citing, of all things, vacuum cleaner storage!). The Perrys clearly want a suburban shangri-la that is free from any contact with commoners of downtown Austin. Many of us have been working very hard to promote a vibrant urban core, but it's clear that the Perrys (and the State) want nothing to do with that -- in fact, they are working against this by walling off the Mansion, undermining key public transit components, and hindering our historic street grid.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 8:46 PM

Kevin,

Have you considered adding a thread on the proposed expansion of the Texas Governor's Mansion? I think it has a large impact on development in downtown -- part of the proposal is to close Colorado Street b/t 11th and 10th, which is a negative to circulation and to the human, pedestrian scale that we've worked to acheive in downtown. They've also moved the significant transit connection that was east of the Mansion on 11th, pushed those who use Capital Metro out. Obviously, it's a loss to sacrifice the architectural and historic integrity of one of our most historic structures (one of only two National Historic Landmarks in Austin -- the other being the Capitol). It also represents a policy of the State showing a deaf ear to issues impacting Austin -- they should be our partners in creating a robust, vibrant downtown, but they appear to be working against us.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin