HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 1:52 AM

The probably need a hiring freeze in Winnipeg at this point. Similar crime rates compared to Edmonton yet the police and fire department budget eats up a much higher percentage of the COW's budget compared to COE. I am guessing that is related to the number of police officers in this city relative to Edmonton and perhaps the number of OT hours worked.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Again, just 'cause you say it's so, doesn't make it so. And there's no contradiction. I'm just saying being a cop or firefighter is a well paying job in any major Canadian city. It's not a Winnipeg thing. Major police services from outside the province regularly send recruiters to Winnipeg colleges and universities. I know you won't believe it, but it's hard to find enough qualified recruits. The RCMP has actually lowered some of its requirements.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp...ay-1-1.3561511

Obviously it's even better if you can poach trained officers, but they'll take any good applicants at this point.
Still, and I haven't watched this whole conversation, Winnipeg is the only city where these two professions take up HALF OF THE CITY BUDGET. This is unacceptable, unsustainable and it absolutely has to change or we will be broke and nothing will ever get done except paying for the employees.

Everyone want that?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:01 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Spending on the US space program was chopped and Saturn V production capped in the mid-1960s, before the first moon landing. Based on the same concern you give above.

That was 50 years ago. Is everything fixed yet? Do you need a couple more years?

There are 7 billion people in the world. If a few thousand concentrate on building rockets, it's not going stop the rest from coming up with a solution. In order to fix suffering we need social/political solution. Not a scientific one, and not a financial one.

And why space exploration? We spend far more tax dollars (let alone private money) on professional sports so that teams full of millionaires can play against each other. Why not cut THAT until you've ensured the well-being of everyone? Or maybe skip the occasional war?
I have absolutely no issue with space exploration - we should do it. I was just responding to the comment that "progress is the only thing society should be concerned with." Progress can (and should) be a goal, I just disagree with it being the only, or even the biggest, focus we have.

And I share your concerns about pro sports and war.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Again, just 'cause you say it's so, doesn't make it so. And there's no contradiction. I'm just saying being a cop or firefighter is a well paying job in any major Canadian city. It's not a Winnipeg thing. Major police services from outside the province regularly send recruiters to Winnipeg colleges and universities. I know you won't believe it, but it's hard to find enough qualified recruits. The RCMP has actually lowered some of its requirements.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp...ay-1-1.3561511

Obviously it's even better if you can poach trained officers, but they'll take any good applicants at this point.
In cities like Vancouver there are enough good jobs that aspiring to be policeman or firefighter isn’t as big a deal as it is here, maybe other cities can afford to pay cops and firefighters the salaries they do because those cities generate enough tax revenue so that it doesn’t eat up half the budget like it does here!

Past councils we’re really naive and stupid to continually dole out the pay increases that they did here, there was no justification for it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 5:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yo tv great snow shots yesterday
then a friend posts this

photo tv twitter feed edited by meg Meg of pomo

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 2:44 AM
surely you agree with me

^ that was awesome. I laughed pretty hard.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:01 PM

Very off topic but I'm wondering if anybody has had the experience of getting a Visa for China? A friend and I are going later this year, and while there are sites online that offer the service we were hoping to do it through an actual travel agency or something like that. Any help, or even suggestions of the best site would be hugely appreciated!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
Very off topic but I'm wondering if anybody has had the experience of getting a Visa for China? A friend and I are going later this year, and while there are sites online that offer the service we were hoping to do it through an actual travel agency or something like that. Any help, or even suggestions of the best site would be hugely appreciated!
I got my China visas in Hong Kong where the process is a relative breeze, but the place I'd recommend locally is Regal Travel on Notre Dame, across from the Towne. You could say they specialize in travel to Asia... I've gone there for other things I've needed on trips to Asia before.

http://www.regaltours.ca/

You could always DIY too by starting on the Chinese embassy's website. I'm not sure what the cost of Regal's services are, but you would definitely minimize the chance of a screwup by going with them.

Bon voyage... out of curiosity, where are you going?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 5:11 PM

Thank you! We looked at the doing it through the embassy site but the process seemed complicated to say the least, and we'd prefer to have someone at least help us through it. We're going to Beijing for 9 days, with I side trip to Xi'an, and then then after we're going to Korea and Japan

Do you know if the Visa process is something they help you with? Or do you just bring the forms and other stuff to them?

Last edited by DancingDuck; Mar 14, 2018 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:03 PM

^ I don't know how Regent handles visa applications as I've never used them. I could be wrong, but I would think you fill out what you can and then they help with the rest? At the very least they can answer questions about what is a somewhat confusing form.

As to the trip itself, that sounds pretty amazing! IMO you wouldn't run out of things to do on a 9 day stop in Beijing especially given that your first day will be mostly battling jet lag, but you may want to consider cutting it down a bit to add another interesting place. For instance, 6 days in Beijing + 3 in Shanghai would be a pretty nice mix that would still leave you plenty of time to hit the high points in Beijing. They're two very different cities and Shanghai is in many ways a much more walkable, human-scaled city (well, apart from building heights) with some fantastic architecture to enjoy. HSR makes it quite an easy trip these days.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:54 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

my corner of northern manitoba

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:17 AM
Rational urbanist

Super cool.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 12:29 AM

The Aspers are trying to build another museum, this time in Tel Aviv

http://asperfoundation.com/worlds-jewish-museum/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 12:39 AM
I am a typical

It looks even more like crumpled tissues than the one they funded here.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
funded.
Mostly founded. But that's a good thing too.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 12:51 PM

Looks like the fortress of solitude with a couple trees added

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 1:03 PM
surely you agree with me

This is funny. Edmonton Winnipeg comparison.

https://youtu.be/bn8qepEQHN4

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 1:19 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ That had me laughing out loud. Good stuff.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 8:45 PM

31 degrees today and the Jets are one win away from advancing to the conference finals... life is good

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:43 PM

Impressions from a Las Vegas blogger

https://youfoundsarah.com/weekend-in-winnipeg/

Quote:
After dinner, we walked around some more (to work off a teeny, tiny portion of that dessert). There were a lot of covered-over storefront windows, vacant office buildings, and the streets had more trash compared to other Canadian cities we’ve been to. I hope that Winnipeg is a city of opportunity, like many US Rust Belt cities, and that Winnipeg’s young professionals will find that the downtown area provides a cheaper cost of living and turn it into a hip, vibrant area of town. Until then….

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan