HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 10:11 PM

I have to agree with the above... while its not a huge display in Wesley Bolin, the concentration of all the elements does make a difference while driving (or hopefully walking) down the street. Hopefully this can act as a draw for tourists to venture from downtown to the capitol. I'm a fan.

Today I saw people painting crosswalks and putting up maps for visitors to the project... took some photos but I can't figure out how to upload them.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 10:56 PM

Email them to me and I can host and post them.

hx_guy@yahoo.com

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 12:15 AM

More Pictures

Roadwork looks good:

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Email them to me and I can host and post them.

hx_guy@yahoo.com
Thanks HX Guy but I just figured it out... Here are photos I took the other day and today of how its coming along. I think these crosswalks actually make a huge difference. Also I can see new wayfinding maps which I think makes things more tourist or pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:16 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Did anyone go to the AZ Best Fest at the Capitol? I can't believe I'm missing the Centennial, thats depressing. Ah well, be home soon enough.

I noticed they did some really nice uplighting on the Capitol building and the Senate and House buildings in the photos on AzCentral:

http://www.azcentral.com/commphotos/azcentral/21562/1/

They ought to make that permanent. It wouldn't solve all the design problems with the Capitol Mall area, but it would make it look much better at night. The MA State Capitol is lit up at night and looks incredible:

Last edited by HooverDam; Feb 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:47 PM
BANNED

I missed it last night, but I could hear all the words the gin blossoms sang while I was standing on my balcony.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:13 PM

I went last night and will be posting photos of it later.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:04 PM

I missed it...and I was here! Honestly I didn't even know it was going on, now I see on AZCentral that there was stuff but yesterday I really didn't see anything about it, they did a really poor job of advertising this...or it's just me, because apparently 60,000 knew about it and showed up.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:10 PM
BANNED

I didn't know about it until yesterday afternoon.... by then it was too late. I wonder how many of those 60,000 were state employees and friends/family... cuz I don't think the advertising was worth a shit.

On that note of things not being worth a shit, what's up with all those stupid centennial signs they put up on the freeways? LAME!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
On that note of things not being worth a shit, what's up with all those stupid centennial signs they put up on the freeways? LAME!
Saw those too (how could I not, they are EVERYWHERE) and yea, lame as shit. I mean I like the idea but the design of them? Seriously? Thats the best they could come up with?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Saw those too (how could I not, they are EVERYWHERE) and yea, lame as shit. I mean I like the idea but the design of them? Seriously? Thats the best they could come up with?
That's the official Arizona Centennial logo thats been on everything... and there are strict standards when dealing with ADOT = not so lame signs.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 1:33 PM

Personally, I think the whole thing down Washington is a little too "stations of the cross" for me.

I've never been a fan of all the memorials in Wesley Bolin either. Starts to look like a New Orleans cemetery after a while.

My own personal preference would be to take the memorials out of Wesley Bolin and scatter them around the city (think pocket parks) and take the sculptures and the like from off of Washington and place them in Wesley Bolin.

Just my two cents.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 1:56 PM

Well I went and saw Wayne Newton perform yesterday. The acoustics were dreadful and he sounded drunk.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 4:58 PM
BANNED

I would have enjoyed seeing Wayne. Too bad I didn't hear about it til it was over.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 5:37 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieman View Post
Personally, I think the whole thing down Washington is a little too "stations of the cross" for me.

I've never been a fan of all the memorials in Wesley Bolin either. Starts to look like a New Orleans cemetery after a while.

My own personal preference would be to take the memorials out of Wesley Bolin and scatter them around the city (think pocket parks) and take the sculptures and the like from off of Washington and place them in Wesley Bolin.

Just my two cents.
I totally disagree. If you spread the memorials out through the City they lose their collective power and the Capitol Mall fails even more to be a grand civic space.

What needs to happen is for Bolin plaza to become an actual plaza and not just a nicely landscapped parking lot. We also need an actual "Capitol Mall", the buildings between Jefferson & Washington, between 7th Ave & Bolin should be torn down (save the Carnegie Library) and replaced with a great linear mall. Buildings facing said mall should be of higher density and mixed uses so the area doesn't die at 5pm.

I.E.: something like what they have in Tennessee would be nice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicente...all_State_Park

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest