HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 9:33 PM

Any educated height guesses with those square footage estimates????

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 9:52 PM

Probably not that tall considering the amount of land. First Phoenix LLC owns all of the parcels I circled in orange.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Probably not that tall considering the amount of land. First Phoenix LLC owns all of the parcels I circled in orange.

That sucks, I liked the McKinley Club...cool little building plus hosts cool community events. The other building is what used to house Phoenix Pride and now sits vacant right??

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 10:03 PM

Yes, it has a "Available" sign out front.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:13 PM

Second Grocery Store & Highrise on McKinley Proposed

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...enix-real.html

Duplicate. Missed this from From. Sorry for the repost.

Last edited by PHXFlyer11; Mar 20, 2017 at 7:49 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post - Already reported

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:13 PM

Things are moving today at both the Stewart and the Derby sites

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Beautiful!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:15 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Awesome

I took quite a few spins around Downtown over the weekend. Stewart and Derby (along with the new Banner Tower) are going to make a serious dent in the Phoenix skyline.

Add to that, if the 2 proposed towers at AZ Center add even somewhat-decent height along with the Park Central Residential Tower, Fry's and Barrister...Phoenix is going to look amazing in 2 years. I mean we're talking roughly what...6 to 8 new towers in the 20 story range??

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Awesome

I took quite a few spins around Downtown over the weekend. Stewart and Derby (along with the new Banner Tower) are going to make a serious dent in the Phoenix skyline.

Add to that, if the 2 proposed towers at AZ Center add even somewhat-decent height along with the Park Central Residential Tower, Fry's and Barrister...Phoenix is going to look amazing in 2 years. I mean we're talking roughly what...6 to 8 new towers in the 20 story range??
Its roughly a doubling of the downtown core, and keep in mind we already doubled it from 2005-2009

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 12:39 AM

City is RFP'ing this lot at 814 N. 5th Ave:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4573...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksit...enda-FINAL.pdf

I remember reading that the Teapot owners weren't pleased about being next to the vacant lot. Good to see another one (hopefully) bite the dust.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:03 AM

That place still exists?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:07 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...hood/99233140/

Interesting read. I've lived at 3 stops along the light rail. Each within 1500 feet of my front door. The only problem I had was at my Maryland / 19th Ave residence. Other 2 were in Tempe. Although, I knew that the area was a bad area & my apartment was also robbed twice before I gave up. The really rough part ended around Glendale Avenue. I rode the light rail everyday end to end in 2010-11 for work. I'll admit anything above midtown starts getting rough, so it wouldn't surprise me if that has carried that traffic to Dunlap. The article does mention that the Phoenix LR is a unique system that doesn't have meters to prevent riders without tickets riding. Hopefully this won't limit expansion. Although, I respect citizens & businesses (along the corridor) opinions.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 10:01 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...hood/99233140/

Interesting read. I've lived at 3 stops along the light rail. Each within 1500 feet of my front door. The only problem I had was at my Maryland / 19th Ave residence. Other 2 were in Tempe. Although, I knew that the area was a bad area & my apartment was also robbed twice before I gave up. The really rough part ended around Glendale Avenue. I rode the light rail everyday end to end in 2010-11 for work. I'll admit anything above midtown starts getting rough, so it wouldn't surprise me if that has carried that traffic to Dunlap. The article does mention that the Phoenix LR is a unique system that doesn't have meters to prevent riders without tickets riding. Hopefully this won't limit expansion. Although, I respect citizens & businesses (along the corridor) opinions.
The article describes our light rail as an "open system," but it does not claim that Phoenix is alone in this practice. Phoenix is hardly unique in terms of relying of a proof-of-payment system for fare compliance. In fact, the majority of US rail transit systems use proof-of-payment. It's only a small number of systems, most of them heavy rail instead of light rail, that use turnstiles or other hard station infrastructure for fare enforcement. Around the world, even some heavy rail systems such as Berlin rely on proof-of-payment.

As for the issue of crime on 19th Avenue, I have always considered that corridor one where caution is needed. Some of the nearby residential neighborhoods (e.g. Royal Palm) are very nice, but the strip malls right along 19th have always seemed to attract transients and loiterers despite having some good tenants (e.g. Bookmans and Sprouts at 19th Ave / Northern). I don't think light rail changed that -- except maybe at 19th Ave / Dunlap, which is where most of the complaints in the article seem to be concentrated.

Maybe the situation will improve when the terminus is moved to MetroCenter in a few years. Despite its struggles, MetroCenter has more activity, more destinations, and more bus connections. That might not make a difference in terms of serious criminals, but it could reduce the number of marginal people wandering in residential neighborhoods or panhandling outside QuikTrip because they've taken the train to the end of the line and don't have somewhere appropriate to go or something appropriate to do next.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:40 PM

As far as I'm concerned, as a native Phoenician, this is not only your opinion, it is fact:

"As for the issue of crime on 19th Avenue, I have always considered that corridor one where caution is needed."

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, as a native Phoenician, this is not only your opinion, it is fact:

"As for the issue of crime on 19th Avenue, I have always considered that corridor one where caution is needed."
I'd say once you get west of 7th avenue in general for a few miles. I literally hate driving that direction at night. Nearly everytime someone is high walking down the middle of Indian School at night, or jumps off the sidewalk into the street.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:26 PM

The area has had some rough element since the late 80's-early 90's, but all anyone has to do is talk to the firemen at the stations in that first due, as well PD and they'll find out how much and what type the call load has increased because of the light rail. It's completely changed the working environment for public safety and I can say first hand it is a direct result of the light rail.

Not knocking light rail-just passing along some inside baseball.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
The area has had some rough element since the late 80's-early 90's, but all anyone has to do is talk to the firemen at the stations in that first due, as well PD and they'll find out how much and what type the call load has increased because of the light rail. It's completely changed the working environment for public safety and I can say first hand it is a direct result of the light rail.

Not knocking light rail-just passing along some inside baseball.
That might be your opinion, but the article specifically mentions:

"Their concerns aren't reflected in the Phoenix Police Department's dispatched calls for service in the surrounding area, which show nearly negligible increases since the light rail started running."

So while you personally may have seen an increase, it has not been reflected by the statistics.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
That might be your opinion, but the article specifically mentions:

"Their concerns aren't reflected in the Phoenix Police Department's dispatched calls for service in the surrounding area, which show nearly negligible increases since the light rail started running."

So while you personally may have seen an increase, it has not been reflected by the statistics.
It's not my opinion on fire department responses. The call load related to light rail has increased, period. It's a fact. If I'm responding to calls and citizens I've never responded to in the past, and now doing it at a high volume on a daily basis, it's a pretty obvious thing to notice.

Think of it this way, if a particular type of call has increased, yet calls as a whole have not increased in that area, that would tell us that other type calls have tailed off, right(and this ebb and flow occurs for a variety of reasons throughout the Valley)?

Another example of increased load would be the fire station in the first due of the Washington and 44th St connection to the Sky Train. Their call load in relation to that stop has increased dramatically. And it came at a poor time because that station used to house two trucks, but one was used to open a station in north Phoenix a few years ago. Now just one truck handles that increased load.

I've been doing this 3 decades, so I know how Phoenix has changed at the street level. I can't speak to whatever they've published in this article, nor how much politics may be behind what's bled out, but PD on the street tells me repeatedly the same thing has happened for them. And because they go on much of the same calls as us it's easy to see it firsthand, too.

Last edited by soled; Mar 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:35 PM

TGen Building Sold for $71M

I am keeping my eye on this, as proceeds could be used towards a new Suns arena...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I am keeping my eye on this, as proceeds could be used towards a new Suns arena...
Definitely. The Grand Sheraton sale is still on-going as well IIRC

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest